Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

We're former long-term residents of the Twin Cities, but have little to no experience of Apple Valley. I admit: I've always pictured it as a kind of homogenous suburb, but I'm probably not giving it enough credit. It's certainly pretty, and, I'm guessing, pretty quiet. It also seems to have deals in 70s and 80s-era housing relative to more status-conscious places like Minnetonka and Edina.

Would anyone care to comment on what life there is like? After living several years in Portland, OR, we're looking for a peaceful place without urban noise or ongoing development. Airplane noise would be a consideration, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I have 2 friends that live in that area. One has been there for about 7 years the other recently moved in. It's a beautiful area, very secluded, wildlife a plenty. You have to be careful at night because there are deer in the road most of the time. It's a place where people have carved out a spot in the wood to put their house so you don't have much of a grass yard-good or bad depending on what you like. The neighborhood is full of kids too. The lake is actually a private lake, no pubic access so it's quite. I think there are restrictions on the use of jet skis too. The homes are all custom built so not cookie cutter at all. The biggest drawback is getting on to Pilot Knob. Just plan to turn right and go around to Diamond Path if you are going south during the morning and afternoon commutes but for commuting it's a great area because it's a quick hop up Pilot Knob to 35 or 494 or over on McAndrews to Cedar.

Apple Valley is far from homogeneous. The natural landscape pretty much eliminated the endless rows of houses you see in most developments anywhere, including (especially) in the cities where house after house is the same or if you are lucky you have a choice of 4 house plans.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,491 times
Thanks, Golfgal, for that insightful, detailed answer.

We are drawn to the natural and built environment with its late modernism. Not cookie cutter at all, as you say; less homogenous, even, in those respects, to the urban environments we have known for so long. The Savanick trail, running through the neighborhood, is a kind of unforeseen treat. Surprising myself, I am reexamining some of my old biases against the suburbs (it's good when, at 50, you can still surprise yourself)

Have your friends given you any sense for crime/safety in the area? Statistics make it look a lot safer than Saint Paul where we live now, but of course stats are stats.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have 2 friends that live in that area. One has been there for about 7 years the other recently moved in. It's a beautiful area, very secluded, wildlife a plenty. You have to be careful at night because there are deer in the road most of the time. It's a place where people have carved out a spot in the wood to put their house so you don't have much of a grass yard-good or bad depending on what you like. The neighborhood is full of kids too. The lake is actually a private lake, no pubic access so it's quite. I think there are restrictions on the use of jet skis too. The homes are all custom built so not cookie cutter at all. The biggest drawback is getting on to Pilot Knob. Just plan to turn right and go around to Diamond Path if you are going south during the morning and afternoon commutes but for commuting it's a great area because it's a quick hop up Pilot Knob to 35 or 494 or over on McAndrews to Cedar.

Apple Valley is far from homogeneous. The natural landscape pretty much eliminated the endless rows of houses you see in most developments anywhere, including (especially) in the cities where house after house is the same or if you are lucky you have a choice of 4 house plans.
Most houses in the cities were built privately or were planned specifically for the original occupant....quite the opposite of what you are describing (except in the "bungalow belt" part of each city). If anything, Apple Valley neighborhoods have limited architectural diversity in comparison and, unlike Minneapolis or St. Paul, don't have a century of different eras of housing options.

I don't want to create a sub-discussion on this but you can't just make sweeping statements like that and not expect some kind of response or correction.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton_ink View Post
Thanks, Golfgal, for that insightful, detailed answer.

We are drawn to the natural and built environment with its late modernism. Not cookie cutter at all, as you say; less homogenous, even, in those respects, to the urban environments we have known for so long. The Savanick trail, running through the neighborhood, is a kind of unforeseen treat. Surprising myself, I am reexamining some of my old biases against the suburbs (it's good when, at 50, you can still surprise yourself)

Have your friends given you any sense for crime/safety in the area? Statistics make it look a lot safer than Saint Paul where we live now, but of course stats are stats.
The biggest crime in that area are the raccoons stealing garbage out of your garbage can if you are not careful .

Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The biggest crime in that area are the raccoons stealing garbage out of your garbage can if you are not careful .
Hahaha....mayyyyyybe not the best animal to use as an example of a thief.....but I don't think you were speaking in metaphors, so no harm no foul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul