Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times

Advertisements

Presumably most parents worried about the quality of schools aren't making their decision based on sports programs, although I suppose it's something to consider when looking at the total package. But this discussion of costs is yet another reason I think sports should just be removed from under school jurisdiction, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Presumably most parents worried about the quality of schools aren't making their decision based on sports programs, although I suppose it's something to consider when looking at the total package. But this discussion of costs is yet another reason I think sports should just be removed from under school jurisdiction, anyway!
And by doing so you create opportunities only for the wealthy. Schools subsidize kids that can't afford to participate in activities otherwise, those options don't exist on that scale for club teams. Sports or various activities is what keeps a lot of kids in school and to do away with those opportunities would be just plain foolish. Also, the nice thing about MN schools is that most of them are really very good so people can choose schools based on the extras provided at those schools whether those are sports, drama, music, theater, etc. Also, participation in activities are important for those that choose to go on to college so eliminating activities, again, would be just foolish. You, however, do not have to choose to participate in those activities.

MN-Born-n-Raised-no, kids don't have to pay $170/hour for ice time but there are field maintenance costs and other things the school doesn't have to cover when renting ice time. Add in custodial fees, staff fees to take tickets, supervise the game sites, etc., etc. and football costs a lot more than you think. Hockey at Lakeville IS more expensive than football, I think hockey is actually $1500/season and football is $1000. The other sports like track are $330. Their numbers are way down in a lot of sports as a result. It's sad but the people in Lakeville had the opportunity to vote in referendum money to cover these things and didn't. It's not only the sports that were cut/fees raised, it's all activities as well as cuts in the classrooms, etc.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Really? There are that many kids in District 196 or District 194 who would drop out if it weren't for school-sponsored sports? That seems like a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for subsidized sports, just think it would be better to do through parks and recreation departments., which are also public and could provide them at low- or subsidized cost. They could still work with schools to use school gyms, etc., and could even still have grade requirements. I'm certainly NOT suggesting that kids NOT participate in activities, simply that I think it would be better if they were separated from schools. I'm not the only one who thinks that way, by the way, but that's really another thread. And it is (hasn't happened on this thread, but I've seen it elsewhere) rather depressing when you read about parents who seemingly base school decisions on things like sports facilities, or put sports as a more important factor than, say, course offerings or classroom size. I was a nationally competitive athlete in high school so I certainly appreciate the value of sports, but think that it's unfortunate that in America we set up most of our sports through the public school system, that's all.

All the extracurriculars at the high school level are all a moot point for the OP, anyway, as her kids aren't even yet in school.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Really? There are that many kids in District 196 or District 194 who would drop out if it weren't for school-sponsored sports? That seems like a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

I'm all for subsidized sports, just think it would be better to do through parks and recreation departments., which are also public and could provide them at low- or subsidized cost. They could still work with schools to use school gyms, etc., and could even still have grade requirements. I'm certainly NOT suggesting that kids NOT participate in activities, simply that I think it would be better if they were separated from schools. I'm not the only one who thinks that way, by the way, but that's really another thread. And it is (hasn't happened on this thread, but I've seen it elsewhere) rather depressing when you read about parents who seemingly base school decisions on things like sports facilities, or put sports as a more important factor than, say, course offerings or classroom size. I was a nationally competitive athlete in high school so I certainly appreciate the value of sports, but think that it's unfortunate that in America we set up most of our sports through the public school system, that's all.

All the extracurriculars at the high school level are all a moot point for the OP, anyway, as her kids aren't even yet in school.
All you are doing is transferring the budget from one department to the next. Sports and activities are a huge part of the high school culture. Remove those from the high school and you also take away any opportunities in the lower grades as well. You are in a very, VERY small minority that would like to see something like this happen. It's obvious you were not involved in activities at your high school and thus you don't see the benefits. It's not sad that we have a choice to pick from several very good school districts, like the OP is considering, and we can choose based on athletic facilities or theater departments. It's WONDERFUL that we have the opportunity and it's one thing that make education in MN the best in the nation.

If you remove these activities from the school setting, you also lose a lot of school spirit and the sense of community you see at schools where attending sporting events is a popular thing to do, not only for the students but for the town itself. You don't see this kind of community in Minneapolis so you probably don't get it, but when 5000 people show up for a football game, basketball game, theater production, etc., it becomes a community event and it is an added bonus for the residents of that town.

We just attended a production at our high school a few weeks ago. The place was packed. They had 4 productions and they were all either sold out or close to sold out. The talent these kids have is amazing. Two of these kids are attending Julliard next year they are that good. Take those out of the high schools and you have just eliminated the chance for these kids to showcase their talent to their friends, etc. Why would you think that is a good idea?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 23,228 times
Default District 194 vs. 196

I know this discussion is very old now.
Does the District 194 still have issues with funding?
Given a choice, which one is recommended most 196 or 194?
How does 197 compare to these two?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmireMN View Post
I know this discussion is very old now.
Does the District 194 still have issues with funding?
Given a choice, which one is recommended most 196 or 194?
How does 197 compare to these two?
Sort of answered this on your other thread. I don't know that the 197 schools have budget issues but from recent reports from people with kids in that district, it isn't as strong as it once was, but it is still a fine district. I graduated from that district. We chose to put our kids in the 196 schools and have been thrilled to death with them. The district is the most financially healthy district in the state, there is superb support from the community. The administration is top notch, the teachers are fantastic, the programs offered are second to none. It's just an all around fantastic district. The 194 schools are also good, however, they have lingering budget issues that could be problematic down the road.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
Default District 194 vs 196

I have found testing scores on district 196.org and I am having trouble finding the scores for 194. I know district 196 is a great district , but I need pros and cons to both districts. I have 2 girls that will be possibly be attending one of these districts. Their father lives in Lakeville and wants them to go to Lakeville. Would help if anyone has any insight on these 2 districts. Thanks

Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM

442 posts, read 593,415 times
Both districts rate highly, but test scores vary (a little bit) depending on which specific school in the district you're looking at. Do you know which schools in particular you would be choosing from within those districts?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM

210 posts, read 319,202 times
We were in 194 (Lakeville) from K-5th, and recently moved out of state. A friend of mine teaches in 196. 194 continues to have funding issues, but based on what she has told me about 196, and the current planned "changes", and teacher movement/reassignment, I think I would stay clear.

We have nothing but excellent things to say about the Lakeville schools. My kids attended two different elementary schools - my oldest was in the Oak Hills ignite! program for three years and my youngest was at JFK. Both were fantastic. Smart bunch of kids in that district!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul