Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

37 posts, read 66,883 times

Advertisements

Why is that? I was hoping my family from the East Coast would come visit us frequently throughout the year but yet I see that airlines tickets are noticably quite higher . As compared to going South? Why?

My family is on a fixed income and I am very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Where do they live? Don't forget to check out flights from as many airports as possible; obviously that depends on what part of the East Coast they live on (as far as how many realistic options they have), but it could be worth their while to check out different airports in the region. Delta practically owns the airport so there isn't huge competition. I'd keep an eye out for promotions and sales and try to build visits around those, when possible.

It's been a long time since I've flown the MN-East Coast routes, but for what it's worth I've had good luck getting good deals to the west coast via Frontier (with a transfer in Denver). I know they fly to some east coast cities, too. There's also always Sun Country, but they don't seem all that different in price from Delta these days.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
We used to get great flight prices on Air Tran to the east coast, but not since they have been taken over by Southwest.

When are you flying? I have found rates to be the best about 3-4 weeks before I travel.

BTW-everyone is on a fixed income--some are just fixed higher than others

Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
It seems the 2 cities that have great rates flying to were Atlanta and Dallas.

I realize they are not on the East coast, however.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM

37 posts, read 66,883 times
thanks everyone. Out of either Philly and Newark, NJ they'd be flying. I wished the rates would be lower.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM

308 posts, read 896,849 times
ever since Delta bought NWA and took over the MSP, the flights became more expensive and the service became worse. this is especially true for most international flights. wherever possible, we are always trying to fly with discount airlines.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM

356 posts, read 605,991 times
If they are flying out of Newark, they should try Continental as that is a hub, IINM. In order to avoid Delta and their exhorbitant fares, they may have to fly Newark to Chicago, then catch American or United to MSP. Same from Philly. If they are looking at non-stops, that is probably why the fares are so high.

Also, try kayak.com. It is a great resource for finding cheaper fares from most airlines in one place.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
If they are flying out of Newark, they should try Continental as that is a hub, IINM. In order to avoid Delta and their exhorbitant fares, they may have to fly Newark to Chicago, then catch American or United to MSP. Same from Philly. If they are looking at non-stops, that is probably why the fares are so high.

Also, try kayak.com. It is a great resource for finding cheaper fares from most airlines in one place.

I agree with this. The benefits of being a Delta hub is frequent non-stop flights to and from just about anywhere. The downside is that the non-stops are more expensive. To me the convenience of the non-stop flights usually outweighs the extra cost, but other may feel differently. Non-stop flights on different major airlines are priced competitively, you can't save significant money by choosing one vs. another. Their fare pricing models are too good for that. However, flying with multiple connections can save you money, and you might pick up cheaper fares with multiple connections at the last minute.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM

356 posts, read 605,991 times
When my dad died, I had to get to Canada quick. Delta has a non-stop to Calgary - the only one to Calgary - from MSP. They quoted me a 'bereavement fare' of $1300 each, which was more expensive than the fare when I searched online. I called Air Canada and they gave me a bereavement fare via Toronto for $600.

I agree sometimes the cost vs. time-savings is worth it, but in the above case, the difference was astronomical. I have also found that it is hard to find those special low fares from Delta, that are much easier to find on other airlines.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Have them check rates out of Baltimore. We've had good luck with rates to/from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul