Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been living here for over a year and have not found any place to shop with inexpensive produce. I am a vegetarian, and all the stores I have visited have very high prices on produce (SuperTarget, Cub, Rainbow, etc). Farmer's Markets are worse. A dollar for a green pepper? $3.00 for a pint of cherry tomatoes in June? $1.29 for an avocado? $.75 for an ear of corn? Give me a break! Lunds and Byerly's are out of the question. Where are the cheaper prices? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Hi, I've been living here for over a year and have not found any place to shop with inexpensive produce. I am a vegetarian, and all the stores I have visited have very high prices on produce (SuperTarget, Cub, Rainbow, etc). Farmer's Markets are worse. A dollar for a green pepper? $3.00 for a pint of cherry tomatoes in June? $1.29 for an avocado? $.75 for an ear of corn? Give me a break! Lunds and Byerly's are out of the question. Where are the cheaper prices? Am I missing something?
Try farmers market downtown on Thursdays. Still not going to be cheap, but some of it is local grown and will be more reasonable. Transportation is a major part of the expense. That and organic really costs a lot more.

I would recommend planting a garden. My tomatoes are getting close, I have been picking lettuce and radish and strawberries for a couple weeks already.

Aldies is very cheap, but the produce is horrible and with a weak selection.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Have you tried Costco? The prices for produce there seem pretty reasonable to me.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
For veggies, you might consider joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). We belong to Community Homestead in Osceola. Every week during growing season we receive a big box of super-fresh, organic veggies. We can also order bread and other goodies. They are delivered to drop-off sites throughout the Twin Cities.

The store prices fluctuate greatly. Corn was cheap a few weeks ago but it was coming from Florida--their season is now done and ours isn't ready to harvest yet so the prices are back up for a while.

How are co-op prices?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Thanks for the suggestions. If I didn't live in an apartment (with no balcony or patio) I would definitely grow my own veggies. However, that's not an option at the moment. As far as Costco is concerned, doesn't that require an annual membership? I am single and live solo, so a membership cost raises the price on whatever I buy. There are some "tents" with fresh veggies in parking lots appearing and one is over on 44th near France, but the prices made Lunds look like a bargain. Get this: $7.00 for a QUART of strawberries! Who can afford that? $.75 for an ear of corn. I just took a look and got back in the car.

As far as transportation costs, the gas prices are far reduced from last summer but there is not any reduction in produce prices from last year. In fact, most are higher. Every now and then, one of the grocery stores runs a "loss leader" to get people into the stores. If it's something I want, I'll buy just that item and leave. Organic is nice but not in my budget.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. If I didn't live in an apartment (with no balcony or patio) I would definitely grow my own veggies. However, that's not an option at the moment. As far as Costco is concerned, doesn't that require an annual membership? I am single and live solo, so a membership cost raises the price on whatever I buy. There are some "tents" with fresh veggies in parking lots appearing and one is over on 44th near France, but the prices made Lunds look like a bargain. Get this: $7.00 for a QUART of strawberries! Who can afford that? $.75 for an ear of corn. I just took a look and got back in the car.

As far as transportation costs, the gas prices are far reduced from last summer but there is not any reduction in produce prices from last year. In fact, most are higher. Every now and then, one of the grocery stores runs a "loss leader" to get people into the stores. If it's something I want, I'll buy just that item and leave. Organic is nice but not in my budget.
I went fishing for my favorite coffee at Kowalskis market on Sunday because nobody else seems to carry it. Despite all you hear about that joint, The coffee I like is like $7 a bag which is cheaper than most other premium brands so I go there for that item specifically. I try my best to get in and out with just the coffee. They had strawberries on sale 2 quarts for $5. They also had fresh blueberries on sale for a good price.

I have been to that place att 44th and France. used to live by there. In general that entire area is expensive. Lunds, coop in linden hills. Even the Cub at 64th and York seems expensive. Must be the cake tax. I never understood it.

Costco is like $50 a year and there is one in St. Louis Park off Gamble Drive near Cedar Lake Rd. If you can buy in the quantity they like to sell without wasting, it is probably going to save you money in the long term. The quality is generally very good.

I would also say to look at rainbow near the hub in richfield. Lot of older people near there and they have the time and mindset to force stores into competing more.

I could swear I saw something about double coupon day recently as well. That might not have a lot of produce, but could be helpful on the budget.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Whenever I visit my inlaws in Chicago's NW suburbs I hit places like Ca****'s or Joseph's Marketplace Strawberries, for example during late April, were $1/lb. Cappacola was $4/lb.

Aldi is by far the cheapest in the Twincities.\

Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Why is C-A-P-U-T-O censored??

Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Why is C-A-P-U-T-O censored??
Check out urbandictionary.com

Racial Slur

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
You have been going to the wrong Farmers Markets. Go the the big one off of the Lyndale N exit in Minneapolis. The prices are incredibly cheap and the selection enormous. The 3 for $5 special is a great deal for alot of the fruits & vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul