Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolafs69 View Post
I appreciate all the comments received by my earlier post. Its been very informative.

I truly love minneapolis. Both my wife and I work in Mpls. If it was up to me, I would buy a townhome in the warehouse district and go out try and new bar/restaurant every night, get season tix to the Twins, enjoy the theaters and everythign else downtown has to offer.

But guess what, I have kids. And like I said in my earlier post, I would feel selfish if I made my kid grow up in a townhouse and attend questionable schools (yes even MPLs SW HS is ranked only #127 in Minnesota based on test scores) with thugs and drop outs. And I don't care what you urbanites say, there is zero chance I let my kid cross the street by himself in downton Minneapolis until probably 14 years old. I am glad mpls is the best city for bikers but how many 12 year olds are biking downtown. None, at least no way in hell my kids would at 12. Any all these people that say, "Kids can just jump on the bus and go anywhere and not be tied to a car." Thats crap too. Sometimes my wife takes the 94 bus to st. paul for work and she even feels uncomfotable at times with the people that get on board. How many of you urbanites want your 14 year old gaughter getting on that bus? So I would still end up estcorting my kid anywhere in downtown anways.

I think all this shift from the suburbs to the city is drivin by my generation, so called "Generation ME" for their selfishness. I know a lot of people my age who have kids but still want to go out to the bars everynight and don't mind that thier kids are being raised by a daycare center during the day and a baby sitter at night. So they move downtown so they can walk to work and hit up Seven and and the other clubs at night. No matter that their kids grow up in a concrete jungle, even though these people could afford a 3,000 sq foot house in a suburb with top notch schools. I mean they won't know the difference anyways right?
So dramatic! Drama and scare tactics aside, there are several posters here in this particular forum and thread that have grown up in the city of Minneapolis AND its PUBLIC school system, and WE can tell you that you are delusional and clearly scared of the city, but that doesn't mean everyone else should be. I can't speak for others but many of my family grew up in MUCH more urban settings and turned out just fine. Not everybody needs an acre lot and shelter from anything/everything different, and it's whatever works best for each individual, not selfishness!

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul