Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

Hi, The Northerner here again. Our scout trip to the Twin Cities is rapidly approaching, and I've carved out a couple side adventures for us to accent our stay.

Being a huge football fan, I immediately honed in on a Gophers game at their new place, which I've heard is wonderful. Where do we park for that event, and is it true they sell beer at the stadium?

Have also heard great things about the lakes adjacent to downtown Minneapolis, so I thought I'd take the wife over there for a nice stroll. Is there one that stands out between Harriet, Calhoun and Lake of the Isles in correlation with scenery and trails?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 AM

308 posts, read 896,849 times
the new stadium is absolutely phenomenal, but an alcohol-free facility, which made me absolutely insane going to the games last year. what the hell is up with encouragement of tailgaiting but no drinks while inside?

but now that they did agree to serve beer starting this next season, I am pretty sure it will be a blast. its too bad though that Gophers aren't that good and they routinely get beaten majority of the time even by non-ranked teams...

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Gophs blow....probably will for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. In fact, there was just an article in the local paper about how building this new Gophs stadium hasn't changed the fan experience one iota.....because the team still loses!

The lakes are a must-see if you ask me! The "family" lake is definitely Lake Harriet. The "fun/young" lake is definitely Lake Calhoun. I don't know what crowd frequents Lake of the Isles, but if I had to guess I'd say it's "artistic" or "romantic". Calhoun is the busiest, Harriet is busy too. Isles is the least busy.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The lakes are a must-see if you ask me! The "family" lake is definitely Lake Harriet. The "fun/young" lake is definitely Lake Calhoun. I don't know what crowd frequents Lake of the Isles, but if I had to guess I'd say it's "artistic" or "romantic". Calhoun is the busiest, Harriet is busy too. Isles is the least busy.
Which one has the best view of the Minneapolis skyline?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM

[quote=pzrOrange;25734542] but now that they did agree to serve beer starting this next season, I am pretty sure it will be a blast. quote]

Do you mean "this next season" as the one starting in a few weeks......hopefully?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Lots of parking ramps and lots available around the Gophers stadium but don't expect to be able to do much tailgating. "Special" fee lots costing $1,000 and up do offer tailgating however. The shine has quickly fallen from the football experience and the widespread apathy of the student body no doubt has contributed greatly to this. Beer and wine (?) sales do start this year where you buy your beer at a beer garden and are allowed to take it back to your seat. I would imagine they have a number of alcohol free zones so make sure you don't buy your tickets in those sections. I'd love to go to a game but it frankly sounds like a truly depressing outing.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Which one has the best view of the Minneapolis skyline?
I'd go for a walk around Lake of the Isles, which then loops under a small bridge to Lake Calhoun (the water is connected by a lagoon, if you decide to rent a canoe or kayak and go that route instead!). Right near where the lakes connect is a restaurant called the Tin Fish. They have everything from full meals to ice cream, and you can sit there -- literally right there on the shores of Lake Calhoun -- enjoying your post-walk ice cream or cold drink or a romantic dinner. I think the Lake of the Isles/Calhoun combo hits the most highlights: nice views, the charm of Lake of the Isles (and some good opportunities to check out the beautiful homes in the area), and the totally different vibe of the larger Lake Calhoun.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The shine has quickly fallen from the football experience and the widespread apathy of the student body no doubt has contributed greatly to this.
Really? Can you expound on that a bit? I know the post Glen Mason era hasn't been much to support, but do the students stay away from the games?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'd go for a walk around Lake of the Isles, which then loops under a small bridge to Lake Calhoun (the water is connected by a lagoon, if you decide to rent a canoe or kayak and go that route instead!). Right near where the lakes connect is a restaurant called the Tin Fish. They have everything from full meals to ice cream, and you can sit there -- literally right there on the shores of Lake Calhoun -- enjoying your post-walk ice cream or cold drink or a romantic dinner. I think the Lake of the Isles/Calhoun combo hits the most highlights: nice views, the charm of Lake of the Isles (and some good opportunities to check out the beautiful homes in the area), and the totally different vibe of the larger Lake Calhoun.
That is a great post. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Really? Can you expound on that a bit? I know the post Glen Mason era hasn't been much to support, but do the students stay away from the games?
Latest news

Student season-ticket sales have steadily dropped from 10,000 in the first year at the 50,800-seat TCF Bank Stadium, to 7,800 the second year to less than 6,000 last year. Now, with the team's first home game on Sept. 8 less than a month away, roughly 2,000 student season tickets have been sold for the $288 million on-campus stadium that was seen as a key to rekindling passion and attendance after almost three decades in the Metrodome....

....With student support for football at other Big Ten schools forming a stark contrast, the trend in Minnesota is troubling. The University of Michigan has sold 21,715 student season tickets so far this year, and the University of Wisconsin sold its 13,119 student season-ticket allotment in just 30 minutes.

the images in this article speak to the complete lack of relevance the students view the football program... Why Don't The Students Like TCF Bank Stadium? Because The U Hasn't Given Them a Reason To | StarTribune.com

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-21-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul