Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,501 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Hoboken, NJ to Minneapolis for work.
I don't know the area well, and I'm having issues with finding a place.

I am used to city living as I have lived in NYC, London, Boston, and Hoboken.
I will be single soon, and moving by Oct. 1 with my two Shiba Inus.

I live in a 4 story brownstone with a small fenced in yard in hoboken and I am looking to have a similar situation in Minneapolis.
I do need the yard for the dogs, so they can go in/out of the dog door to the yard during the day.

I work in medical devices so my hours will be better than when I was in finance, this also means that I'll have more time for a social life. Again, i'm reentering general population, so some thoughts on that would be helpful.

My office will be in Edina, but the idea of living in the suburbs is a bit odd. I grew up on a farm so I know rural and know that I don't want rural now. What could a 31 y/o single guy expect in Edina?

Any and all responses are appreciated in advance.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
Edina is part streetcar suburb, mostly 50 year old sprawl. (nice, old, rich sprawl, but sprawl none the less). If you want urbanity and have alot of money, the streetcar part of Edina is nice. There are some very expensive condos by 50th/France Ave. (A downtownish area for Edina, actually a Mpls. street corner commercial node gone haywire) I know for a fact that you will work in the sprawl part. Prob. want a car. If you want more of the Hoboken brownstone style, the closest you will find with be north of Lake Street in Mpls. proper. Lots of 4-plexes and apartment buildings. VERY few actual brownstones. (prob. a communal yard, alot of those left got chopped up, most of Those will be North of Franklin Avenue). Good luck on the move
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,183 times
Suburbs in the Twin Cities is only 15 minutes plus, out from the loop. I live in an upper middle class northeast suburb and can be in downtown St Paul, or downtown Minneapolis in 15 minutes. Rural in the Twin Cities is anywhere from 15 minutes to a half hour out. Wisconsin is only 15 minutes east of St Paul downtown. Tens of thousands live in Wisconsin and commute because of cheaper housing, and lower taxes.

I would stay out of Ramsey and Hennepin counties, the predominant welfare amd congested high density counties. For Edina working, look to southwest to Carver (City of Chaska) and Scott (City of Shakopee). Lakeville in Dakota County, south of Edina, is one of the fastest growing cities in Minnesota.
Minnesota Genealogy MnGenWeb

Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryr8732 View Post
I would stay out of Ramsey and Hennepin counties, the predominant welfare amd congested high density counties. [/url]

I guess its a matter of what you are looking to spend on a property.

Assuming money isnt much of an issue, Cedar-Isles-Dean is a nice spot.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM

/\ Certainly, Carver and Lakeville are teeming with brownstones. But moving from HOBOKEN, i'm sure the biggest thing on his mind is welfare and density. Did you even read his post?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
Other than that, I had a friend just rent in the Warehouse district and he loves it so far! Really cool buildings, central young person location and near downtown.[/quote]

The warehouse district sounds good. McDavid will easily be able to afford a house here as they are less expensive here than in NJ. Also, as has been said, north of Lake Street is a good bet - that would be my preference. I used to live in NYC many years ago and if I were relocating, it would be definitely Minneapolis (no dead suburb) in the Uptown Area/Lake Street - Hennepin area. Those places are about as lively as it gets, right?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
Also Edina is a hop, skip and jump to Minneapolis, so no worries there.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM

110 posts, read 261,680 times
If you miss the idea of leaving NJ..and don't mind commuting..I would go to St Paul..it has a very "eastern" feel to it. You would like Grand Ave/Selby Ave areas.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM

/\ Very true.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,505 times
I used to live in Hoboken and now live in Mpls. You will probably like Uptown and Loring Park areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul