Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
For sure, on the Green Line, construction is active. That was one of the selling points. But all downtowns are faced with a need for a paradigm shift. Their need as a business district is hugely reduced from 50 years ago. Question becomes "if not for business, what good is a downtown?"
Minneapolis has the benefit of still being a business-driven downtown. There are a lot of jobs in the core. Certainly we're also seeing a shift with more residential. But DT Minneapolis will remain a business hub, especially if more people are living there. I was just in Chicago and what I loved was the mix of big businesses, government functions, and residential (along with the accompanying services). The Loop did shut down incredibly early, but the street density in Chicago always amazes me.

St. Paul has more of a struggle with its downtown, but I think it will always at least hang on, and it could very well succeed by focusing on making it livable and capitalizing on what it has a monopoly on: state government.

I used to think I could never live downtown. But with everything happening in the North Loop, Downtown West, Loring Park, and this amazing (potential) development by Ryan Co, I wouldn't mind...assuming I had the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,633 times
Any updates?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
On what, specifically?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
The Plymouth Building at 6th & Hennepin will be converted to a 5-star, 264-room Conrad Hotel. There are only 4 of them in the US right now (with a 5th opening in Ft. Lauderdale next year). Here's a rendering submitted to the city and which can also be found in the Journal:

Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
Alatus has released preliminary renderings for their 40-story apartment tower which will be located on Central Av & 2nd St. just across the river from downtown Minneapolis. Alatus wants to close on the property later this year with construction commencing "shortly thereafter." The height hasn't been released yet but should be in the 450-foot range.

Townhouses will ring the existing parking ramp to shield it from the street:

Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM

214 posts, read 300,298 times
That will be a nice addition to the skyline and add some much needed height and interest to that side of downtown.

Alatus ups ante, plans a 40-story apartment tower (Images) - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

On the other side of downtown this 36 story tower is now leasing. There is a slide show of views in the following article.
Loring Park's new LPM Apartments tower offers high-rise views of Minneapolis (Photos) - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Also appears to be plans for a 27 story residential tower near the new Vikings stadium in addition to the 2. 17 story Wells Fargo campus.
http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/...age=all&r=full

Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM

The planed tcf tower could be around 60 floors from what I have seen on urbanmsp

Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Two more residential towers planned for downtown Mpls. | Star Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul