Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,738 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Minneapolis and have a 9 year old son with autism. I am looking for schools with good services for him. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks
Pooya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,062 times
Hey there!

I have twins with Autism and they are both in Minneapolis schools. They are currently Pre-K but have been in Minneapolis schools for 2 years now. We have so far been very happy with the services we have received both at Wilder and Anne Sullivan. Our boys also attend Fraser. I can't speak for the which schools are best for older kids but compared to our friends in St. Paul and various suburbs I would say we have had the least amount of friction dealing with our various teachers, therapists and social workers.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Our neighbor has 2 autistic children, one in 9th grade and one in 5th grade. They have been in the District 196 special ed program since the boys were infants and they are thrilled to death with the assistance and programs they have. Their older son is profoundly autistic, their younger son is just barely autistic on the spectrum so they have both ends of services. The older son is in an inclusive class for autistic children and the younger son is mainstreamed with some pull out help and an aid. They are fortunate enough that their kids' teachers also babysit for them at time (usually for long weekends or times when they go on longer trips their oldest just can't go on).

Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,738 times
Thank you so much for your help

Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM

126 posts, read 244,769 times
My older son is on the spectrum. He's now 21 so I'm not sure how much help I can be with specific schools. That said, there were a few resources in the Twin Cities that I have found to be truly valuable over the years.

1. MN Autism Society in St. Paul - support groups, training for parents & educators, referrals for services. They may be able to help recommend specific grade schools.
2. Fraser Center in Minneapolis - very focused on autism related services.
3. Pacer Center - general focus on children and adults with special needs. Has great advocates for help navigating the special education system, transition planning. They have also been helpful with referrals and were able to help guide us towards schools that were a good fit for my son for high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul