Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times

Advertisements

Is anyone going? I hear there will be high-speed service from St. Paul to Chicago! I am not sure when that will begin, but I can't wait!

Explore. Experience. Embark.
The journey begins again Saturday, December 8, 2012
Remarks from public officials and bringing down the wall celebration begins at 9:30 a.m
Festivities start at 10 a.m.
Contact us at 651-202-2700 or info@uniondepot.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM

391 posts, read 660,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Is anyone going? I hear there will be high-speed service from St. Paul to Chicago! I am not sure when that will begin, but I can't wait!

Explore. Experience. Embark.
The journey begins again Saturday, December 8, 2012
Remarks from public officials and bringing down the wall celebration begins at 9:30 a.m
Festivities start at 10 a.m.
Contact us at 651-202-2700 or info@uniondepot.org
I might go check it out tomorrow. I think it's going to be a good thing for Lowertown.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
While I'm sure it will be "cool," it will bring a rise in crime as Chicagoans will be hopping that thing religiously. I will like to check it out though for sure.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
While I'm sure it will be "cool," it will bring a rise in crime as Chicagoans will be hopping that thing religiously. I will like to check it out though for sure.
We already have Amtrak service and the people in Chicago aren't exactly filling it up. If you're referring to the idea that we'll get a bunch of poor people/criminals/benefit moochers, I'd suggest that we aren't going to have any more than those who come up via driving, Amtrak, or Mega Bus. High speed would probably too expensive for all those "nasty Chicagoans".

Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
We already have Amtrak service and the people in Chicago aren't exactly filling it up. If you're referring to the idea that we'll get a bunch of poor people/criminals/benefit moochers, I'd suggest that we aren't going to have any more than those who come up via driving, Amtrak, or Mega Bus. High speed would probably too expensive for all those "nasty Chicagoans".
xandrex, why go there? Something I said in the past still sticks in your craw I take it.

A few things:

1. My mother's entire family are native Illinoians - Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, CHICAGO
  1. I've been to Chicago and it's a world class city. Need to get back there soon. I loved it when I was there last.
  1. Chicago has an epidemic murder rate. It's right there at the top of the list in America this year. They will be going on murder 500 by the time the year is over. Charming.
  1. Do you or don't you think MSP has many individuals from Chicago that commit crimes here?

I'm serious, xandra, we don't need this to be a pissing fest. The OP started an honest and decent thread that doesn't need to get hijacked. Look at my first post. What did I say? I said I want to check it out but I worry it might contribute to an increase in crime. Nothing more, nothing less. It's an opinion.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
xandrex, why go there? Something I said in the past still sticks in your craw I take it.

A few things:

1. My mother's entire family are native Illinoians - Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, CHICAGO
  1. I've been to Chicago and it's a world class city. Need to get back there soon. I loved it when I was there last.
  1. Chicago has an epidemic murder rate. It's right there at the top of the list in America this year. They will be going on murder 500 by the time the year is over. Charming.
  1. Do you or don't you think MSP has many individuals from Chicago that commit crimes here?

I'm serious, xandra, we don't need this to be a pissing fest. The OP started an honest and decent thread that doesn't need to get hijacked. Look at my first post. What did I say? I said I want to check it out but I worry it might contribute to an increase in crime. Nothing more, nothing less. It's an opinion.
This isn't some former sticking point. We had such a confrontation?

I have family who lived in relatively close proximity to Chicago. I have visited Chicago. I love Chicago. And other people do too. I wasn't questioning your love of Chicago. I also know it's a sometimes dangerous city.

My point wasn't an attack on you and it was completely valid...the depot opening won't bring high-speed rail. If it does come, it won't bring in anybody that it isn't already. Anybody who wants to go from Chicago to Minneapolis can drive, take the current Amtrak train that runs right now, or take the extremely cheap Mega Bus.

I'm not starting a "pissing fest". I was offering skepticism about your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
This isn't some former sticking point. We had such a confrontation?

I have family who lived in relatively close proximity to Chicago. I have visited Chicago. I love Chicago. And other people do too. I wasn't questioning your love of Chicago. I also know it's a sometimes dangerous city.

My point wasn't an attack on you and it was completely valid...the depot opening won't bring high-speed rail. If it does come, it won't bring in anybody that it isn't already. Anybody who wants to go from Chicago to Minneapolis can drive, take the current Amtrak train that runs right now, or take the extremely cheap Mega Bus.

I'm not starting a "pissing fest". I was offering skepticism about your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
Your point is taken.

Personally I wanted to get back to the Chi for a Wild-Hawks game when we are finally in the same division. Already been to Wrigley but wouldn't hurt to get back to a Cubbies game either.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
High Speed Rail to Chicago has one big problem , Wisconsin.... I'm sure if Private wanted to build it , Wisconsin would get in the way. The Proposals for your state have it phased , creeping towards Wisconsin....

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
High Speed Rail to Chicago has one big problem , Wisconsin.... I'm sure if Private wanted to build it , Wisconsin would get in the way. The Proposals for your state have it phased , creeping towards Wisconsin....
Expand on this post, please.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM

As long as Walker or anyone like him is in office, Wisconsin has pretty much signified that they are not interested in taking funding from the feds for high-speed rail. Unless we route around Wisconsin through Iowa, it's DOA, which is really a bit unfortunate that one state can actually hold up another that apparently is expressing interest to connect to the regional "hub".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul