Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

For commuting times, you may find the Metro Council's data useful. They have information on all the local suburbs, including both current (well, fairly current) estimated commute times to downtown Minneapolis during rush hour, as well as their projected forecasts for commute times in the future. You'll see the tabs at the top --
estimated peak time is down a bit under the commuting tab. (this is a great resource for all types of useful information, not just commuting!)
Metropolitan Council - Community Profile

FWIW, they say that the average commute time at rush hour from Stillwater is 57 minutes, a slight decrease from what it was in 2005 (although they do anticipate it to rise in the future). (FWIW, they say it's only 21 minutes for Plymouth. Now I much prefer Stillwater -- very cute historic town -- but that is a long way out, and really more a "suburb" of St. Paul.) Of course some of that will inevitably vary by where in any given place you live (Plymouth, as just one example, is a big place), how long it takes you to get from your house to the freeway, etc.

Not sure what kind of lot sizes are available in Golden Valley (many are smaller, but there might be some bigger options) and what they cost, but I agree that it might also be worth considering. Very easy commute to downtown, great access to nature, nice for families. I don't live there, but there are a number of big companies out that way (including General Mills), so I'd assume that there are a fair number of business transplants. It veers liberal, but that shouldn't stop you from making friends. If you want more conservative, the southern suburbs like Apple Valley or Lakeville are going to be a better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
For commuting times, you may find the Metro Council's data useful. They have information on all the local suburbs, including both current (well, fairly current) estimated commute times to downtown Minneapolis during rush hour, as well as their projected forecasts for commute times in the future. You'll see the tabs at the top --
estimated peak time is down a bit under the commuting tab. (this is a great resource for all types of useful information, not just commuting!)
Metropolitan Council - Community Profile

FWIW, they say that the average commute time at rush hour from Stillwater is 57 minutes, a slight decrease from what it was in 2005 (although they do anticipate it to rise in the future). (FWIW, they say it's only 21 minutes for Plymouth. Now I much prefer Stillwater -- very cute historic town -- but that is a long way out, and really more a "suburb" of St. Paul.) Of course some of that will inevitably vary by where in any given place you live (Plymouth, as just one example, is a big place), how long it takes you to get from your house to the freeway, etc.

Not sure what kind of lot sizes are available in Golden Valley (many are smaller, but there might be some bigger options) and what they cost, but I agree that it might also be worth considering. Very easy commute to downtown, great access to nature, nice for families. I don't live there, but there are a number of big companies out that way (including General Mills), so I'd assume that there are a fair number of business transplants. It veers liberal, but that shouldn't stop you from making friends. If you want more conservative, the southern suburbs like Apple Valley or Lakeville are going to be a better bet.
There is no way in heck it takes a HOUR to get to the Metrodome area of Minneapolis from Stillwater, even in traffic--well, I suppose if you take a stupid route like driving over to 94 and into Minneapolis, driving 20 miles out of your way it might take that long. My BIL drove from Stillwater to the Golden Valley area for 20 years and said his worst, non-snow, commutes were 45 minutes. On average it took him 35 minutes. Considering the GV is past Minneapolis, from someone that actually drives, I say your information is wrong. Can you post a link to this "average" hour long commute?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM

It's in the link I posted -- the Metro Council's statistics. I don't know what route their model used; it was created using their "travel demand forecasting model," and they say the route was chosen by "shortest path defined by congested travel time." Skimming the information, it appears that they initially run it using free-flowing traffic time, then adjust both route and final time using congestion factors for peak travel time.

Is your brother doing that commute during rush hour currently? What's his drive time during bad weather?

I'm not claiming that I have personal experience showing whether or not the Met Council's information is right or wrong, but if it is, bring it up with them and with MnDOT and the various local transportation agencies. But really, however you cut it, since Stillwater is about 25-26 miles from downtown Minneapolis, unless you fly there's really no fast way to get there.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM

20 posts, read 36,739 times
That link to the Metro Council's website is a wealth of information; probably belongs on a sticky. Looking through all the info, with an eye toward current & future commute, it looks like due west (Plymouth), Golden Valley, and to a lesser extent, Edina or Eden Prarie.

Any comments on the areas? I've read lots of great things about the schools; what about downsides, or the acceptance by residents of newcomers? Looks like enrollment at most of the high schools is on the order of 3200 kids. Quite large by what our kids are accustomed to...

Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Golden Valley is a nice, inner-rung suburb. Of the two districts that serve it I would go with Hopkins. That leaves you only a small area of GV to look at but I like it. Also, don't discount St Louis Park if you want a smaller district, the enrollment is 1300-1400. I don't know much about it but have heard good things. Your half an acre won't happen at pretty much anywhere you're looking but perhaps you can find something near a park that helps you feel you have some space even if it's not yours.

One thing I'll say about the big high schools while they're big from what I understand kids are split into smaller groups based on their studies so your kids would still be exposed to the same kids over and over. Perhaps those more experienced can explain more on this.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM

If you can manage to find a house for 220k in Edina it will most likely be small, old but not updated, and/or on a very busy street -- it's an expensive area. Your money will go farther in Golden Valley, or in adjacent St. Louis Park, although the half-acre would be very, very tough there, too. I think GV is definitely worth considering, though. ETA: Oops, see you're going up in budget. Still, I think you'll be more limited in Edina, even at that price range, so you'll have to decide if you think it's worth it. Schools are good and the location is convenient, however.

Another thought, especially if you're willing to go down a bit in lot size, how about the western part of Bloomington? It's easy to MSP (although not right under flight paths, I don't think), commute should be less than 30 minutes to downtown, and it has easy access to nature. There's lots of amenities for families out there, and I believe -- although have no personal experience -- that the schools there are considered quite good. (Eastern Bloomington doesn't have as good of a reputation) I have relatives who live out that direction in quite spacious houses, and the prices are pretty good. I did a quick search and saw some houses for under your budget on 1/3 acre, so you might be able to find something to your liking.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 01-01-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM

I did some looking a median house prices. On a budget of around $320K, are the Plymoth, Linden Hills, Edina, Golden Valley areas reasonable? Which would you suggest we focus on, and why? At specifics about the sub-culture of the areas? Lots of transplants, or mostly multi-generational families, etc.? According to the Metro link, Bloomington and SLP seem to have fewer homes with families (15%).

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 PM

Depends on what you want in a neighborhood, I think; when it comes to Linden Hills, you run into the same problem as Edina -- very expensive real estate. You are paying a premium for location (and for charm and cute). Now granted, I think it's a wonderful location! Can't beat it for families; tons of kids, good schools, very active playgroups and other opportunities to meet other families, and it's literally right on the banks of Lake Harriet (the "downtown" also has a great toystore, a children's bookstore, and has a really strong sense of community). There's a mix of people who have been there for a long time, as well as lots of transplants. But like Edina, 320k isn't going to buy you much in Linden Hills, unfortunately. If you were interested in considering the broader SW Minneapolis area there are a few houses above 2,000 square feet and within your budget, but be warned that almost all of them (at least the quick search I did) were on busier streets, which may or may not bother you. You can certainly afford to buy a house even in Linden Hills, but it would involve a lot of compromises for your budget. I think the same can be said for Edina. (and if you do look in Edina, make sure you check school boundaries; there are a few locations that are zoned for Richfield schools)

A larger house in good shape and with a spacious yard in Golden Valley and Plymouth are definitely doable on that budget, however.

My impression of St. Louis Park is that the demographics really vary by neighborhood; I know some areas seem to be pretty popular with young families. It certainly has nice family amenities; the SLP rec center is a major draw (especially the fancy "aquatic center" in the summer).

FYI, property taxes can vary a LOT by specific city.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn02 View Post
I did some looking a median house prices. On a budget of around $320K, are the Plymoth, Linden Hills, Edina, Golden Valley areas reasonable? Which would you suggest we focus on, and why? At specifics about the sub-culture of the areas? Lots of transplants, or mostly multi-generational families, etc.? According to the Metro link, Bloomington and SLP seem to have fewer homes with families (15%).
Problem is that your budget is going to price you out of Edina and the better areas of Plymouth. St. Louis Park and Golden Valley you run into house/lot size issues and schools depending on where you are looking exactly. SLP schools are fine but others in the areas are not. You are going to have to look further out for the house/lot you want. Then, living on that side of Minneapolis, you will have to travel through Minneapolis to get to your job, that will add a good 20 minutes to your commute most days because of traffic and lights through Minneapolis. You are better off staying east of 35 with a commute to the Metrodome area. Bloomington is an aging population with the schools going downhill rapidly.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM

I'm looking through the data on the Metro councils site, and data there says the median home costs in Edina and Plymouth runs about $320K, while the median household incomes are about $83K. Do those numbers sound right? Looking at realtor.com, it looks like most homes in those areas start around $450K. Just trying to understand my options...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul