Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM

24 posts, read 59,433 times

Advertisements

I found a few website with rentals so my search is continuing. I'm wondering what neighborhoods to avoid while looking. I know it is completely different than when I was there 20 yrs ago. Any help would be appreciated, IE don't go south of this street or west of that street, ETC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
I'd say Phillips and MAYBE Central are the two neighborhoods that are fairly universally worth avoiding. Powderhorn, Whittier, Cedar/Riverside, etc. have their ups and downs but nothing to to completely avoid. Phillips would be bounded by I-94 to the North, Lake St to the South, I-35W to the West, and Hiawatha Ave to the East. Central is bounded by Lake St. to the North, 38th St. to the South, I-35W to the West, and Chicago Ave to the East.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM

24 posts, read 59,433 times
OK thanxs for the Help. That hasn't changed much. That area was a toilet back in the day. looks like it still is.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowser307 View Post
OK thanxs for the Help. That hasn't changed much. That area was a toilet back in the day. looks like it still is.
Well that's just the thing......both Central and Phillips are maybe 1/2 as bad as they were in their "hey day" (90's). Central is in the process of being gentrified by the Hispanic population and Phillips' main problem areas have mostly transformed. It's nothing really like it was in the 90's.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
It really depends on what you're looking for and how comfortable of an area you want. I have a friend who lives in Stevens Square and loves it, but others would avoid that neighborhood like the plague. For apartments and avoiding any real sketchiness, you rarely hear complaints about everything west of Lyndale and north of Lake (except parking of course). East of Lyndale depends on where you are (and I never really think about rentals south of Lake, though of course they exist).

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well that's just the thing......both Central and Phillips are maybe 1/2 as bad as they were in their "hey day" (90's). Central is in the process of being gentrified by the Hispanic population and Phillips' main problem areas have mostly transformed. It's nothing really like it was in the 90's.
I agree -- those areas are still probably the ones that tend to have more problems, but you'll be shocked at how much nicer things are than in the early '90s. All the new immigrants have really pumped a lot into improving the main commercial drags. I don't know how exact crime statistics compare (there are still pockets with some significant crime concerns), but at least on the surface level things are looking, overall, better maintained and thriving.

Same thing goes for the neighborhoods west of 35W. I remember in the early '90s Lyndale was getting bad; it hit rock-bottom, and has since come roaring back. I'm not sure when Whittier was at its low point, but it's been massively gentrified since the '90s. In both of those areas there are some worse blocks (a block or two off Lake in either direction and once you start getting east of Pleasant or so -- not sure where to draw the line), but, as a whole, it's MUCH safer and nicer than in the early to mid-90s.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM

191 posts, read 380,572 times
Linden Hills

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
Linden Hills
THERE's that classic Linden Hills NIMBY spirit!!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
Linden Hills
Shouldn't we all be terrified of kids who live in city neighborhoods like Linden Hills? I hear a house was TP'd once! The hooligans!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Shouldn't we all be terrified of kids who live in city neighborhoods like Linden Hills? I hear a house was TP'd once! The hooligans!
well, you never know when a brawl is going to break out over the last of free-range, local, organic porkchop. Or when an angry mob is going to attack the next developer to suggest a new condo building in the "village." Never underestimate the dangers posed by wealthy people with connections and a sense of entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul