Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:42 PM

43 posts, read 72,562 times

Advertisements

chessgeek:
Target did build a large HQ that may be added to in the future. I would guess that you could see it on Google Maps. It is north of Highway 610 and west of Zane, although I have forgotten the exit to take to it.
Brookdale Mall was still open until April 26 of 2010, unless I am reading your post incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM

290 posts, read 547,584 times
I grew up in Brooklyn Center as well. The majority of the parents of the people I went to school with that lived in Brooklyn Park have moved away. Those that lived in Brooklyn Center have generally stayed. I think that's partly because those in Brooklyn Center were OK with living around minorities and in a more depressed area. Or couldn't and still couldn't afford to live elsewhere.

I don't know how much of this still applies today, but when I grew up, there was a relatively strong sense of community. Little League, schools, bands/orchestra at the school. The Park Center Marching band was top-notch for years. And maybe still is, I don't know. Very strong music/arts focus in the Osseo School district. I haven't followed the schools, but when I attended, they were considered pretty good. That's the Osseo School district. I don't think the Brooklyn Center school district has ever been held in high regard.

You can't beat the housing prices, and the proximity to major highways. I always loved the fact that if I needed to go south, I had 94, 100, 169, 494 all within easy reach as options. Even today, going down 94 into the city during morning rush hour is a cakewalk compared to what goes on in the south metro. The neighborhoods are quiet. Easy access to head up north. It's just a nice, quiet, peaceful, affordable existence for a lot of people in the majority of the neighborhoods and I think it's overlooked.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
So much of the crime in those two areas is concentrated in smaller parts of the city. There's plenty of places where I wouldn't hesitate to live in either suburb. I'm not too keen on the schools, especially Brooklyn Center schools. The people that I know that live in these suburbs are happy there.

Brooklyn Park is going through a boom along 610 because of Target. There's good things happening in both places.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
they're aging first ring suburbs with higher than average crime...whats to like, really?

Nah, they're ok. The streets adjacent to the Mississippi have some very nice houses, and Twin Lake is kinda cool.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM

302 posts, read 727,007 times
I moved here from Los Angeles and I think there is a LOT of snobbery in the Twin Cities in terms of where you live (WAY more than in Southern California). It cracks me up. People here LOVE to tout "I live in Edina...Every Day I Need Attention"....people in BEVERLY HILLS don't do such a thing....and the homes out there cost 10x as much. It's kind of sad. Particularly people in the western/southwestern suburbs....like to look down on other suburbs. To me it just indicates how insecure most of them are. My friend who lives in Coon Rapids had someone say to her "Oh, I'm sorry you live there". I couldn't believe it! And this other person lives in St Louis Park which is probably one of the most OVER rated and over priced suburbs in the Cities....reality check needed.

I DO love Minnesota, but the snobbery is ridiculous (and mostly from people who haven't traveled much or lived elsewhere!)

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Edina is a beautiful suburb. Lots of very pretty areas. I dont know why anyone would have any contempt for it other than the wealth factor I guess.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I moved here from Los Angeles and I think there is a LOT of snobbery in the Twin Cities in terms of where you live (WAY more than in Southern California). It cracks me up. People here LOVE to tout "I live in Edina...Every Day I Need Attention"....people in BEVERLY HILLS don't do such a thing....and the homes out there cost 10x as much. It's kind of sad. Particularly people in the western/southwestern suburbs....like to look down on other suburbs. To me it just indicates how insecure most of them are. My friend who lives in Coon Rapids had someone say to her "Oh, I'm sorry you live there". I couldn't believe it! And this other person lives in St Louis Park which is probably one of the most OVER rated and over priced suburbs in the Cities....reality check needed.

I DO love Minnesota, but the snobbery is ridiculous (and mostly from people who haven't traveled much or lived elsewhere!)
FWIW, on the St. Louis Park front : I am a SLP booster, at least the neighborhoods that are Minneapolis-adjacent. Near the lakes, easy commute downtown, and actually pretty walkable, with a nice commercial and recreational core along Excelsior. And if looking at it compared to the neighboring areas in Minneapolis the SLP prices are generally lower (property taxes are a lot lower than Mpls, too). At least that's my take on it, which is one of the reasons I do recommend it frequently for people who are looking for certain amenities or benefits. I'm sure there are some other inner-ring suburbs that have similar benefits (St. Anthony increasingly does too, I believe) but I just don't know those areas as well. Likewise, I can be a big Richfield booster, but their schools don't have a good reputation, so I don't tend to recommend that for families with school-age kids, even though, as far as suburbs go, there's a lot I like going on in Richfield.

As far as the vast majority of suburbs, perhaps this is in itself a form of snobbery, but I don't think there's any great distinguishing features between many of them (with some exceptions; I like how places like White Bear Lake, for example, still have a downtown), so the biggest difference comes down to location, and what would be convenient or inconvenient would depend on the specific person.

The form of snobbery I notice most often in the Twin Cities is the stigma attached to renters. Presumably because so many people here DO own, and often buy at a relatively young age, renters are all-too-often treated like second-class citizens. I never noticed that in LA, where it seemed to be considered perfectly normal for a middle-class family to rent. Here in the Twin Cities, it feels like people don't consider you a "true" member of the community unless you are a property owner.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
I know some really solid people who live in Brooklyn Park. But I could probably say that about any city you want to name. You don't need a whole city to decay to get a bad rep. I think there are some huge apartment complexes with low rent where trouble spots are.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM

302 posts, read 727,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
FWIW, on the St. Louis Park front : I am a SLP booster, at least the neighborhoods that are Minneapolis-adjacent. Near the lakes, easy commute downtown, and actually pretty walkable, with a nice commercial and recreational core along Excelsior. And if looking at it compared to the neighboring areas in Minneapolis the SLP prices are generally lower (property taxes are a lot lower than Mpls, too). At least that's my take on it, which is one of the reasons I do recommend it frequently for people who are looking for certain amenities or benefits. I'm sure there are some other inner-ring suburbs that have similar benefits (St. Anthony increasingly does too, I believe) but I just don't know those areas as well. Likewise, I can be a big Richfield booster, but their schools don't have a good reputation, so I don't tend to recommend that for families with school-age kids, even though, as far as suburbs go, there's a lot I like going on in Richfield.

As far as the vast majority of suburbs, perhaps this is in itself a form of snobbery, but I don't think there's any great distinguishing features between many of them (with some exceptions; I like how places like White Bear Lake, for example, still have a downtown), so the biggest difference comes down to location, and what would be convenient or inconvenient would depend on the specific person.

The form of snobbery I notice most often in the Twin Cities is the stigma attached to renters. Presumably because so many people here DO own, and often buy at a relatively young age, renters are all-too-often treated like second-class citizens. I never noticed that in LA, where it seemed to be considered perfectly normal for a middle-class family to rent. Here in the Twin Cities, it feels like people don't consider you a "true" member of the community unless you are a property owner.
I agree with you in terms of vicinity re: SLP and Coon Rapids. However, looking at the two suburbs (driving through them), one does not appear "better" than the other. And in fact, many areas of SLP are pretty run down if you're going to compare to Coon Rapids. To me, this is the snobbery....it's almost a "looking down on" for what I think are unjustified reasons ("blue collar"....? not sure). The comment to my friend - "I'm sorry you live in Coon Rapids" - was a slam to the area (vs a slam to the proximity to Minneapolis). (I hope that makes sense!)

I agree with the snobbery related to renting. There is no stigma to renting in L.A., as housing is SO expensive out there, a majority of people rent. I think that very recently there is a little less snobbery here with the housing crash. A lot of people seem to now see renting as a smart and viable alternative. Coming from L.A., I am thrilled to be able to own a home (actually 2, one rented out) but I do see some of the "benefits" that can come with renting vs buying as well.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Renting in this area is viewed more of not being able to afford a house. In many parts of CA, housing prices are so out of tune with wages that very few people CAN afford to buy a house. Same with NY, DC, etc. I don't know that people look down on them as much as don't understand why people want to rent. I hope to God that I never have to rent ever again. Sorry, just the way it is. I like being able to paint a wall if I want or change flooring, etc. Sharing walls in an apartment is my worst nightmare.

MSMCGirl--I don't know who you hang out with but it sounds like you need a new group of friends. I rarely run into people that are as snobby as you suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul