Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Looks like he lives in St. Paul--pretty sleepy suburban area .

Our closest 3 Walmarts are all open 24 hours as is our Cub. Downtown Minneapolis rolls up the sidewalks after 6:00 PM except for the bars......
So no Downtown doesnt roll up its sidewalks after 6pm.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So no Downtown doesnt roll up its sidewalks after 6pm.
so, yes, try to find an open grocery store or liquor store in downtown after 10:00 PM....

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I believe MN also still has some White Castles and you will not find them in CA (not in northern CA). Our family only tried it once or twice when I was growing up in MN (BK and McD's were closer to our home). I would guess they are still there.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
so, yes, try to find an open grocery store or liquor store in downtown after 10:00 PM....
Lunds is open until midnight.

So how often did you say you go to Minneapolis again? Didn't you recently say that the only time you had a reason to go to Minneapolis, downtown or otherwise, was for the dentist? Perhaps if you spent more time downtown -- and in the other neighborhoods of the city -- you'd be more aware of their hours?

And in any case, OP said they live in Maplewood. You don't move to Maplewood if you want 24/7 hustle and bustle. Presumably that is part of the appeal.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Lunds is open until midnight.

So how often did you say you go to Minneapolis again? Didn't you recently say that the only time you had a reason to go to Minneapolis, downtown or otherwise, was for the dentist? Perhaps if you spent more time downtown -- and in the other neighborhoods of the city -- you'd be more aware of their hours?

And in any case, OP said they live in Maplewood. You don't move to Maplewood if you want 24/7 hustle and bustle. Presumably that is part of the appeal.
I'm in Minneapolis plenty, but never for the dentist .

Move to the suburbs if you want 24 hour grocery stores, Walmarts, etc. Again, I can walk to our 24 hour Cub and our 24 hour Target if need be--our 24 hour Walgreens sure is nice if you need late night medication after going to the 24 hour Urgent Care too....liquor stores are only open until 10 or 11, whatever the law is, we only have 3 of those in walking distance though, too bad I guess. Love the 24 hour drive throughs at several of the fast food places because we can walk to those if need be too--they are great when the kids get back from a school activity after midnight and are hungry--you know how teens are, but maybe not because your kid is only 5.

The OP said St. Paul/Maplewood---which is hardly sleepy, but if you ventured out of your small neighborhood you would know that....

Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM

83 posts, read 130,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubd1 View Post
I'm from out West, so here are a few things I notice about this place (I live in Maplewood/St. Paul) that are VERY DIFFERENT from the West (I'm from NV/AZ/CA):

1) Liquor stores closed on Sunday (WTF???).

2) Nothing is open late.

3) There are no grocery stores. Anywhere.

4) There are no fast food joints. Anywhere. (I don't eat fast food often, but it amazes me how few are here, considering the size of population).

5) Cub Foods, the main grocery chain here, has an AWFUL selection of alcohol. You can find a better selection at a gas station. (edit: turns out liquor can only be sold in special liquor stores, and some cities have one and only one city-owned store).

6) Almost NOTHING is open 24 hours.

7) The nearest Wal-Mart is a gadzillion miles away from the Twin Cities. Most aren't open 24 hours.

There are more grocery stores and fast food joints in the small town of Cottonwood, Az. -- pop. 10,000 -- than I've seen here. It's flabbergasting.

Takes some getting used to.
Sounds like you'd enjoy Robert street in West St. Paul. It's replete with big box stores and fast food joints. As a bonus, it is not pedestrian friendly at all.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
Sounds like you'd enjoy Robert street in West St. Paul. It's replete with big box stores and fast food joints. As a bonus, it is not pedestrian friendly at all.
How so? There are sidewalks along both sides of Robert Street and crosswalks and signals every few blocks

Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Is this a troll? It is so full of fictions, I have to think it originated on another planet.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM

83 posts, read 130,709 times
Quote:
How so? There are sidewalks along both sides of Robert Street and crosswalks and signals every few blocks
Sidewalks and cross walks - every few blocks - do not, in and of themselves, make for a pedestrian friendly street - especially when those sidewalks are not properly shoveled and set so far from the various stores that it is difficult, if not impossible, especially during the winter, for an elderly or disabled person to navigate.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 PM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
Quote:
Love the 24 hour drive throughs at several of the fast food places because we can walk to those if need be too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul