Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM

90 posts, read 226,212 times

Advertisements

OMG it's nice to be back here after so long. Getting use to things again, different food brands, still trying to find a cheap grocery store..... Made the mistake of going into Lunds on Hennepin and was floored by their meat prices.... 24.00 for chicken breasts.... WOW!!!!

I know it's thaw out season in the city, but I have to say, I am very disappointed in how much dog crap is all over the place. I mean common..... you can still pick up after your dog in the snow.... how disgusting. Even around my building (which does not allow dogs) many piles of poop just sitting there. Common people, this is Minneapolis not France

All in all, so happy to be here, got a great apartment, decent neighborhood and the people around me are so friendly. Now I just need to find me a job LOL.

Thanks for all the great advice from my other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
OMG it's nice to be back here after so long. Getting use to things again, different food brands, still trying to find a cheap grocery store..... Made the mistake of going into Lunds on Hennepin and was floored by their meat prices.... 24.00 for chicken breasts.... WOW!!!!

I know it's thaw out season in the city, but I have to say, I am very disappointed in how much dog crap is all over the place. I mean common..... you can still pick up after your dog in the snow.... how disgusting. Even around my building (which does not allow dogs) many piles of poop just sitting there. Common people, this is Minneapolis not France

All in all, so happy to be here, got a great apartment, decent neighborhood and the people around me are so friendly. Now I just need to find me a job LOL.

Thanks for all the great advice from my other posts.
Aldi Food Market has the best prices. Several around town.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
$24.00 for chicken breasts? Were they kosher or something? Chicken breasts should cost $5-$7 for a pound....

I'm very jealous you are back and I am not, by the way....

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Aldi Food Market has the best prices. Several around town.
Awesome..... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
$24.00 for chicken breasts? Were they kosher or something? Chicken breasts should cost $5-$7 for a pound....

I think they were free range chickens.... but still. LOL!

I can see why you are jealous..... I have forgotten how nice people here are. After LA, Vegas, Phoenix and Pittsburgh, I was losing hope for humanity LOL.

We did end up in the Stevens park area, I can see why the mixed comments were posted in my other thread, but we were lucky to find a good neighborhood. We walked Franklin east of the 35 yesterday and noticed a big change in neighborhoods. Where I didn't feel unsafe, I don't think I would walk that area at night.

Oh, and we stopped in the Electric Fetus while we were out..... I LOVE THAT STORE!!!!! They have some of the most bizarre things in there. I'm still a kid at heart and still love those silly novelty gift items. I so wanted to get us a couple of their pig masks, a couple big fat stogies and go walking around downtown LOL.... I know, I'm strange.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Yeh, the Fetus is an example of something that has plowed on through good and bad economies. We have some unique businesses like that. Anybody remember the Wax Museum? Used to be all over the place? And here's ANOTHER one like Electric Fetus: The Podium

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

I think you'd be very lucky to find chicken breast for $5-7/lb at Lunds. I just purchased some at the Northeast Minneapolis Lunds for about $7...on sale. One time I was in a hurry and all they had left were organic, free-range, "air-chilled" chicken breast...it cost me $11 for barely over a pound. If I had more time, I would have run to Target, but alas, I did not.

While Lunds is great (their produce is almost always top-notch) and their sale items aren't too expensive, it's best to avoid any boxed items and be very careful what you're buying in the meat department. It's definitely a bourgeois grocery store. You're better off going to Target downtown or at Lake/55 or Aldi's (although I've heard mixed reviews on Aldi's depending on location...I'm not near one, so I haven't shopped there, but some friends who are nearby reported some locations are a bit run down and dirty).

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I think you'd be very lucky to find chicken breast for $5-7/lb at Lunds. I just purchased some at the Northeast Minneapolis Lunds for about $7...on sale.
Cub, Rainbow, and Aldi have cheaper prices. But online Lunds has chicken breasts at $5.60 a pound. This is Gold n Plump. Maybe the $7 stuff is some other brand.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Cub, Rainbow, and Aldi have cheaper prices. But online Lunds has chicken breasts at $5.60 a pound. This is Gold n Plump. Maybe the $7 stuff is some other brand.
The last stuff I bought was Gold n Plump and it was definitely not $5.60/lb (and it was even on sale). Maybe some of their other locations have better prices.

I try to buy my meat at Target whenever I can. I find their prices are pretty consistently good (often better than actual groceries).

Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM

I looked it up at Lunds in Highland Park.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM

We found our way to Cub up on Lake, Rainbow was across the street which we will try next. I kinda liked Cub.... there was a sale on ground beef, which I was looking for to make tacos.... we were a day late on that but it was not too bad regular price. Only thing I didn't like is that they only had 75% beef.... I like it at 85-90%. So hard to get on a bus with a cart full of food (we got a pull cart at Target). But all in all, we made the round trip within the 2.5 hours allotted by the transfer so we didn't have to pay for a return fare.

I really thought selling our vehicle and going more green would be a good idea..... starting to rethink that LOL..... the buses get pretty crowded. LOL.

Oh, and they had the exact same brand of chicken at Cub that we saw at Lunds for like 1/2 the price. I have been craving chicken tenders..... that made me real happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul