Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times

Advertisements

And I can get a cup of coffee for as little as $1.50. Alcohol is just not a cheap drink. Unless it comes from your fridge. And if you're at home, coffee really costs less. So, again, a coffee cafe is not an expensive social venue. Also, this may be discriminatory, but bars attract the lowest lowlife. I don't tend to find the same in the coffee cafes I go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
And I can get a cup of coffee for as little as $1.50. Alcohol is just not a cheap drink. Unless it comes from your fridge. And if you're at home, coffee really costs less. So, again, a coffee cafe is not an expensive social venue. Also, this may be discriminatory, but bars attract the lowest lowlife. I don't tend to find the same in the coffee cafes I go to.
Alcohol is quite expensive. Being a former college student, I've seen students consider alcohol more valuable than food. I've know some students spend much more money on alcohol(on purpose) than on food. Even with the price of coffee going up, it's still less expensive than coffee.

Bars can attract lowlifes and I've seen this. At the same time, it depends on what kind of bar you go to. I've gone to places where fights have taken place. However, a few sports bars can attract good crowds. Generally, I think one major reason for attracting lowlifes is because of the reason for going there. Many go to the bars with the intent of getting drunk. Coffee places, on the other hand, tend to attract people who are there to use the internet, to study, to have a quiet chat, and over coffee.

And there is another thing to consider. If you get drunk, you have to arrange to get a ride home. Otherwise, you would be in trouble for DUI. Coffee, on the other hand, no such risk.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM

I think the closings of these stores is kind of disturbing. On one end, I might blame the economy for this. On the other hand, perhaps there is something that attracts more people to Starbucks than Caribou. Still, it's rather sad.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Alcohol can be pretty cheap at "volume" places though. Not always the best bars, but plenty in college areas or more dives in neighborhoods offer drinks at around the $2 range. Happy hour definitely pushes a lot into this category, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner
I think the closings of these stores is kind of disturbing. On one end, I might blame the economy for this. On the other hand, perhaps there is something that attracts more people to Starbucks than Caribou. Still, it's rather sad.
Caribous is still largely regionally-focused and the closings and subsequent statement that they're focusing regionally on their core (Minnesota + Upper Midwest) reflects that.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Caribous is still largely regionally-focused and the closings and subsequent statement that they're focusing regionally on their core (Minnesota + Upper Midwest) reflects that.
Perhaps, but I'm still going to miss the one I went to. 4 locations in the Atlanta area closed down. Now there is only one left that I know of.

Starbucks is still around and I go there too.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alcohol is quite expensive. Being a former college student, I've seen students consider alcohol more valuable than food. I've know some students spend much more money on alcohol(on purpose) than on food. Even with the price of coffee going up, it's still less expensive than coffee.

Bars can attract lowlifes and I've seen this. At the same time, it depends on what kind of bar you go to. I've gone to places where fights have taken place. However, a few sports bars can attract good crowds. Generally, I think one major reason for attracting lowlifes is because of the reason for going there. Many go to the bars with the intent of getting drunk. Coffee places, on the other hand, tend to attract people who are there to use the internet, to study, to have a quiet chat, and over coffee.

And there is another thing to consider. If you get drunk, you have to arrange to get a ride home. Otherwise, you would be in trouble for DUI. Coffee, on the other hand, no such risk.
Ditto the last.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Ditto the last.
I've gone to coffee places at night and bars at night. I prefer the coffee places because of the lower risk involved.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Yeh, the cheaper bars sometimes have hostile people carrying some sort of weapon. Go there if you WANT a fight, stay away if you just want a buzz. The Schooner at 29th Street and 27th Ave in Minneapolis had a fight that started inside and ended with a fatal knifing outside. It is your classic dive bar.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
#firstworldproblems

Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
#firstworldproblems
Yep because we live in a first world country---feel free to move to a third world country if you don't like to hear people complain about things like this. I'm certainly glad these are the things we have to complain about!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul