Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 49,364 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

There's a strong possibility our family will be relocating to work in downtown Minneapolis soon. Where are the suburbs with the best value for house, schools, and commute?

Criteria:
$250k-$300k max, 4 bedroom, prefer newer home but not a deal-breaker
above average schools, not the best of the best as the value is not desirable in the best locations
50 minutes or less commute to downtown Minneapolis
Family friendly area (things to do with small children)

Not looking for the best of the best neighborhoods, but those that present the best bang for your buck. I know nothing about Minneapolis so would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 PM

109 posts, read 188,807 times
St. Louis Park and Golden valley would be good places to look into. St. Louis Park has great schools; Golden Valley is partially covered by schools in the Hopkins district, while the other part is in the Robbinsdale district. If you opt to look here, look for a home in the Hopkins district as it has a very good reputation.

Both are inner-ring suburbs that would have a good commute to downtown Minneapolis. Highway 55 runs through Golden Valley, which is often a better commuting option than I-394 during rush hour.

Plymouth would be another potential option, which is covered by the Wayzata school district and Robbinsdale district; opt for a home in the Wayzata district if you choose here. Your commute will be longer (still under 50 mins, usually... can depend on snow), and homes are more expensive in Plymouth, though you could still find something in your price range.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
Coon Rapids or Blaine would be good choices.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,267 times
I have lived in Elk River for 6 years. My husband commutes to downtown Minneapolis via the NorthStar commuter train from the Elk River station. Train ride is 40 minutes, and it's a relaxing ride without the driving hassles (especially on snowy days). However, the train only runs during morning and evening commute hours, not all day long.

Elk River is a solidly middle class community with definitely a small town feel. It has a small historic downtown on the Mississippi River. There are a lot of nice parks and neighborhoods, and a great library. Schools are pretty good and getting better all the time. Everyone will tell you that Edina, Minnetonka, and Wayzata schools are better, which is probably true, and that probably has something to do with how much extra money those districts get because of higher property values in those suburbs. The state of Minnesota definitely has an equity issue with its school funding formula.

We live in a newer, nice family neighborhood built around 2002-2009 called Trout Brook Farm. Houses are 4 bed, 2.5 bath on large lots (10,000 sq ft and up) for around $270K. The elementary school is Twin Lakes, and middle school is Salk.

All the suburbs have different feels. Many would probably call Elk River an exurb. It depends on what you want in a town. If you like to live close in to the city and its amenities, Elk River probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Another good choice would be Maple Grove. Closer in to Minneapolis, and they have express buses to downtown, though the buses likely get caught in the same I-94 traffic as the cars (unlike the train). More shopping and restaurants in Maple Grove than Elk River, and good schools, though I've heard quite a few complaints about the junior high.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I like Elk River. It's a pretty town with a nice downtown area.

South Metro the best "value" would be the smaller developments south of County Road 46 and just west of Pilot Knob. The official address is Farmington but the houses are in the Rosemount school district. The houses are all less than 10 years old and the neighborhood is LOADED with kids. You are 30-40 minutes from downtown but you could take the express bus from Apple Valley too. There are also houses on the market in the general Apple Valley/Rosemount area that would work as well, but probably more like 1960's rambler type houses, maybe some 1980's split level houses too. There are other houses in various neighborhoods that will be in your price range as well.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
How about New Hope or Minnetonka?

Not sure if there is much new construction in those suburbs but they are nice.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM

191 posts, read 380,452 times
Suburbs are dead. Miserable commutes, gas prices, foreclosures, empty strip malls.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 PM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
Suburbs are dead. Miserable commutes, gas prices, foreclosures, empty strip malls.

I respectfully must disagree with this. Yes, there has been a renewed interest in the core cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul over the last few years, and I can see why they're appealing to many. But there will always be others who simply prefer a suburban lifestyle, and the commutes aren't always "miserable." I commute from one suburb to another and my drive is a lot easier than when I used to work in Minneapolis. And many of the "empty strip malls" in suburbia are either being demolished or converted for other use (medical offices, etc).

I honestly don't understand why people have to pit city vs. suburb. Both have their positive aspects and both have their negative facets, and neither is "better" as in the end where one lives largely comes down to a lifestyle choice. It's great to see the gentrification of the central cities coupled with ongoing suburban growth - the entire Twin Cities region benefits when the area grows as a whole instead of competing against itself.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM

36 posts, read 77,375 times
Not sure where you are moving from, but here in the cities a 50 minute commute (assuming normal weather, not a snow storm) opens you up to pretty much any place in town. Some have suggested even Elk River, which I would not consider part of the cities really, but would be within 50 minutes of downtown under normal conditions.
We live in Hugo with young kids and love it. It is on the north east side of the 'cities" Lots of houses (new or practically new) possible in your price range. Good schools. A growing community with lots of young families.
Given you generous amount of time for commute and rather open requirements for a house, everyone is just going to recommend you to their favorite suburb

Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Attack View Post
Hello Everyone,

There's a strong possibility our family will be relocating to work in downtown Minneapolis soon. Where are the suburbs with the best value for house, schools, and commute?

Criteria:
$250k-$300k max, 4 bedroom, prefer newer home but not a deal-breaker
above average schools, not the best of the best as the value is not desirable in the best locations
50 minutes or less commute to downtown Minneapolis
Family friendly area (things to do with small children)

Not looking for the best of the best neighborhoods, but those that present the best bang for your buck. I know nothing about Minneapolis so would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks,
Woodbury is a great option. You'll find many houses in your price range with the most reasonable property taxes of all the major suburbs. There's a great bus line to Mpls (park and ride). Schools are fantastic.

Your values will hold good in Woodbury since they are building thousands of new homes in the next few years and upgrading most of the major roads. Of all the Suburbs, Woodbury and Maple Grove are my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul