Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,644 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So, I am male in my mid-20's who moved here in August from Pittsburgh, but most of my friends here (almost all are out-of-state too) hate hockey. I'm a life-long hockey / Pittsburgh Penguins addict. During the playoffs I've decided I'd rather go to a bar alone and watch with other Penguins supporters than deal with "hockey sucks" jokes and complaints to change channels during a game 7 that I'd be freaking out about.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I figured my best bet might be a Steelers bar that is just friendly to Pittsburgh in general. I found a site that lists 4 of them, but their websites don't indicate anything Pittsburgh and one even says WELCOME WILD FANS on it.........

I know there are a lot of hockey bars here, but watching it on a small creen as a wild game is played loudly and hearing random "fair weather Crosby" comments doesn't sound fun either......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Try Patrick McGovern's on W 7th near xcel energy center (St. Paul) upstairs bar is a Steeler's bar. Tom Ried's hockey city pub across the street, everything NHL in it (Tom Reid played in the NHL a long time ago and he could still kick our asses) Alary's bar on 7th St has 20+ 50 inch tv's and they play every NHL game on each night. (place is famous for its bartenders) Downtown St Paul is where to watch hockey, specifically W 7th St.

Bob Paradise hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

This guy is at Mancini's all the time, played for the penguins awhile ago...

Crosby comes to town every now and then in off season cause he played at Shattuck St Mary's in Faribault and is friends with Parise.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by wamer27; 04-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM

If the Penguins are playing the same time as a wild game, I don't think your gonna find a bar that isn't as you describe. But it's worth checking into the bars I mentioned.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks, just checked out McGovern's online and it looks awesome. I've really enjoyed the Twin Cities thus far, but man do I miss Isaly's chipped ham sandwiches which they apparently serve! I'll probably check it out on a night when the Pens are playing but the wild are off...

Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM

There's a guy or two from Pittsburgh who plays in our roller hockey league in St Paul, I'll see if I can get ahold of either of them and get any info about Pens bars in towns or best place to watch'em.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times
I forgot about the Pittsburgh Penguins and thought a new fad was sweeping the country.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I forgot about the Pittsburgh Penguins and thought a new fad was sweeping the country.
haha, awesome

Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There's a guy or two from Pittsburgh who plays in our roller hockey league in St Paul, I'll see if I can get ahold of either of them and get any info about Pens bars in towns or best place to watch'em.
Thanks, I really appreciate all your help

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM

I asked around and a hockey player from Pittsburgh didn't know of any. Your best bet is Alary's bar.
Alarys Bar

It's a popular place before and after Wild games because its next to a parking ramp and they run a lot of shuttles to the games. During the game, they'll turn any game on one or more of their tons of large screen tv's. I don't believe there's a Penguins following here, so finding a Pens bar I don't believe exists. The Pittsburgh guy is gonna ask around and I'll let you know if I find anything new out.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Try Patrick McGovern's on W 7th near xcel energy center (St. Paul) upstairs bar is a Steeler's bar. Tom Ried's hockey city pub across the street, everything NHL in it (Tom Reid played in the NHL a long time ago and he could still kick our asses) Alary's bar on 7th St has 20+ 50 inch tv's and they play every NHL game on each night. (place is famous for its bartenders) Downtown St Paul is where to watch hockey, specifically W 7th St.

Bob Paradise hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

This guy is at Mancini's all the time, played for the penguins awhile ago...

Crosby comes to town every now and then in off season cause he played at Shattuck St Mary's in Faribault and is friends with Parise.

Hope this helps!
Wow, I love Big Ben. I should go down there some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul