Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times

Advertisements

I don't know how old the story, but there was one saying Delmonico's owners are getting out of business and selling their place. Could already be done for what I know. Too bad. They were like a symbol for the Italian community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_mdwst81 View Post
I have been planning on a MSP relocation from St. Louis for some time but have not made it yet. I'm sorry to hear that about MSP actually as we have/had a large Italian population here. Our scandinavian influence wanned some time ago, we have an area called 'The Hill' with Italians living here who still run the businesses and restaraunts. Google 'Volpi Salami' and you will find options to buy many of their products, the name in ubiquitous with St Louis sandwich shops. I'm not a part of the familiy or anything like that but I know I will be looking them up myself when I leave here. There are something things that really are the icing on the cake about living in different cities.
I think you'll be okay....it's not like there's no Italians here whatsoever, and there's actually some pretty damn good dining options, especially at the higher end of the spectrum! Plus, that's part of the fun of living in new places: new experiences, new food, etc.!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM

464 posts, read 803,039 times
Brianno's Deli in Eagan (off of Cliff just west of Cedar/77) has a grocery section as well and it's pretty much the go-to place for all things Italian down here. They only take cash, though.

The suburbs can be quite good for ethinic groceries in the right areas. I have two Asian groceries, two Mexican groceries, and a Russian grocery all within five minutes of me (as well as Brianno's). Even more if you expand it to ten minutes.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
You can find what you are looking for at either Cosetta's in St Paul or Buon Giorno Market in Lilydale. They are both the real deal and are owned by old St Paul Italian families that have operated them for generations, Buon Giorno is a bit more upscale.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Yeh, even if we don't have an "Italian neighborhood", you won't want for the amenities. Italians were among those who first organized the Festival of Nations in 1933.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
Yes, I have seen the Hispanic section, which is good, I love their food too. I have found that I can order the tomato's and sauces I have become accustom to on-line but OMG the shipping of the cans is 3 times the cost of the actual product. The only thing I do miss about Pittsburgh is that I lived 2 blocks from their "Little Italy" section of town and OMG this one store made THE BEST Italian sausage I have ever eaten. I was really hoping to find one here.

I guess still not having found a place that makes good pizza, I see what you mean. LOL I have made homemade pizza and pasta for a few of my friends here and they tell me it's the best they have ever eaten. Maybe I should open a little place and start cooking for you all hahahaha. Of course, getting the ingredients I need might be a challenge as I brought a lot with me when I moved here that I am now out of.
C-Chelle, haven't talked to you for a while, but if you're still looking, you might want to check out Bill's Imported Foods, too. Google it....it's near Uptown. They don't specialize in Italian, or anything, but get meats, cheeses, olive oil, pastas, dry foods, etc., from all over the place....I'm sure you could find good Italian sausage there. My mother always used to go there for her chorizo.

As far as pizza goes, it will depend on what you like. Punch and Nea are very authentic. Cosetta's is an institutional, no thrills cafeteria style Italian place in what was once St. Paul's Little Italy. Mesa, Leaning Tower, Slice of New York, and Galactic are all good for when you're drunk and need a slice. There are others, too.

The best Italian I've ever had in the Cities was at Luci Ancora, across from St. Kate's on Randolph in St. Paul. I believe the same family owns Ristorante Luci kitty-corner from it....so similar food, but I think slightly different concept? I don't know....haven't been there before. Anyway, Luci Ancora is a small, intimate, white tablecloth place. Amazing food, but a bit pricey. You can get a few plates of antipasti (like, light pasta, not meat and cheese trays) there and fill up, though, if you don't want to spend a lot or make too formal a night out of it...

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Beltrami has always been considered "Little Italy" in Mpls. NE Minneapolis just south of Broadway.
I never heard that about Beltrami. If C-Chelle is used to Bloomfield in Pittsburgh, though, I don't know about Beltrami. Isn't it mostly residential?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Beltrami is residential. But it is adjacent to a lot of industrial.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM

90 posts, read 226,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
The only grocer I know of is Delmonico's.

1112 Summer St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
Thank you, I will give them a try

I did find that the company who's sauce and canned tomatoes I use will ship to me. Of course shipping cans costs 3 times more than the product itself.... it was like 7 or 8 dollars for the cans and 18 - 20 for shipping LOL.

I have tried a few of the "Italian" restaurants around town, thinking I should open my own here. I know I could blow them all out of the water . My neighbors, some from here and some from the east coast (New York, Philly, etc...), all tell me it's some of the best they have eaten.... even better than what they grew up with.

Hmmmm..... Might be something to consider. LOL! Maybe an Italian food truck haha!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM

90 posts, read 226,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
C-Chelle, haven't talked to you for a while, but if you're still looking, you might want to check out Bill's Imported Foods, too. Google it....it's near Uptown. They don't specialize in Italian, or anything, but get meats, cheeses, olive oil, pastas, dry foods, etc., from all over the place....I'm sure you could find good Italian sausage there. My mother always used to go there for her chorizo.

As far as pizza goes, it will depend on what you like. Punch and Nea are very authentic. Cosetta's is an institutional, no thrills cafeteria style Italian place in what was once St. Paul's Little Italy. Mesa, Leaning Tower, Slice of New York, and Galactic are all good for when you're drunk and need a slice. There are others, too.

The best Italian I've ever had in the Cities was at Luci Ancora, across from St. Kate's on Randolph in St. Paul. I believe the same family owns Ristorante Luci kitty-corner from it....so similar food, but I think slightly different concept? I don't know....haven't been there before. Anyway, Luci Ancora is a small, intimate, white tablecloth place. Amazing food, but a bit pricey. You can get a few plates of antipasti (like, light pasta, not meat and cheese trays) there and fill up, though, if you don't want to spend a lot or make too formal a night out of it...
No I haven't been on in a while

OMG, A Slice of New York??? I read reviews on Yelp, took the advice of one girl from the East Coast where she said it was just like being home. Their sauce was SOOOOO sweet! I actually could not finish a slice it was so sweet.

So far, the best pizza I have found is Gianelli's in the skywalk near the TCF building. Sad thing is they keep skywalk hours and only deliver to downtown businesses.

I have stopped ordering pizza for delivery. I have decided I need to go in and try a slice before I order for home delivery. It gets expensive spending 20.00 or more for a pie that I cannot eat. As for pasta.... well I can make a sauce (and homemade pasta) much cheaper than eating out so I just cannot see spending the $$ to go out for Italian. Pizza is a pain to make at times, well the dough is, it would be nice to find another place like Gianelli's that delivers. Maybe one day

Maybe one day I will make it to St Paul and give Luci Ancora a try. I/we have yet to venture to St. Paul. Hard without a car.... I really do not care for buses and only use them when I have to. Otherwise, we walk everywhere. There are some really good restaurants around our area, not Italian but really good. We LOVE Market BBQ on Nicolette!!!! Just recently tried Salsa a la Salsa and really liked them too. Manny's Steak House always smells wonderful when walking by, but OMG, their prices would require both of us to have a 2nd job LOL.

Well, hope all is well with you. try to stay cool this weekend, it's suppose to be a hot and steamy one Talk to you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul