Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,943 times

Advertisements

I am 19 years old, male, gay, and from a small town in western Texas. I moved to Minneapolis 16 days ago to attend the University of Minnesota. I am a solid introvert and made dire arrangements to live as far from the university campus as possible as I do not care to make friends nor do I honestly wish to be associated with the University in any way whatsoever beyond my class work. Hoping to settle near like-minded people, I am now settled into a suburban apartment in the town of Osseo. Classes have not started, but I plan to drive to campus daily.

So far, I am extremely uncomfortable in Minnesota. I was anticipating a progressive, walkable, mature environment that could be likened to urban European cities where I can carry my computer to a coffee shop and sip my latte for hours and stroll through a park on my way home. That is what Minneapolis promised to be. Thus far I am finding the Osseo community I live in to be rather dull and frankly, trashy. The local grocery store is over-run with 14 year olds and the rest of the community is four times my age. Also, the infrastructure of the region is rather pathetic. I could not believe how awful traffic is here - I had to drive for 90 minutes to get to the University from my apartment.

Maybe it's where I chose to live, but I am miserable. I do not under any conditions want to live near the University but I need to consider relocating to a portion of this metro that more closely resembles a culmination of introverted, focused individuals sustaining a community filled with coffee shops and parks. However I want no bars anywhere near where I am living.

Please suggest a part of town for me to consider.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM

12 posts, read 20,841 times
You said 'this is what Minneapolis promised to be.' Well, you don't live in Minneapolis, you live in Osseo. Like most American suburbs, Osseo is not very walkable. I don't know what gave you the impression that Osseo was going to be like an urban European city.

Maybe Uptown is what you are looking for? Urban, walkable, young people, but not really extremely close to campus. Being that you're gay, maybe you would fit in in the Loring Park neighborhood, which is considered one of the more gay-friendly areas in town. However, most walkable urban areas with coffee shops and parks are going to have bars as well.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
I would live in Seward. It is close the U but it is not overrun by students - you'd be more likely to see a faculty member. There are bars in the neighborhood, but you can live in a place and never know of their existence. You can walk to work, along the river, and not have to worry about a long commute. There is a great choice of coffee shops and a very nice park. People will leave you alone if you wish.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

371 posts, read 556,219 times
I would move, even if I lost a security deposit. You seem to have had a very clear idea of what you were looking for and then oddly chose to live someplace entirely different.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
The walkable, European-like environment you describe sounds like the main areas of Minneapolis, such as Uptown and Downtown. And not a suburb. Your problem is that you didn't want to be near the University in the first place.

It sounds like you have a mix of priorities. What is the point of a walkable city filled with greenery and a cafe scene if you're just not going to talk to anyone?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 PM

36 posts, read 84,953 times
I live in Minneapolis, just moved here a year ago, and there are parks and coffee shops full of people hunched over computers and sipping lattes everywhere. Try somewhere near Hennepin in Minneapolis. Don't live in the suburbs if you want urban.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandmousepad View Post
So far, I am extremely uncomfortable in Minnesota. I was anticipating a progressive, walkable, mature environment that could be likened to urban European cities where I can carry my computer to a coffee shop and sip my latte for hours and stroll through a park on my way home. That is what Minneapolis promised to be. Thus far I am finding the Osseo community I live in to be rather dull and frankly, trashy.
We are in the United States, not Europe.
Also, Osseo is not Minneapolis.....

Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
stay in Osseo and change the system from within

19 year old seeking quiet/private living

Old 08-31-2013, 05:21 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Sounds like your problems stem far beyond your living situation.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandmousepad View Post
I am a solid introvert and made dire arrangements to live as far from the university campus as possible as I do not care to make friends nor do I honestly wish to be associated with the University in any way whatsoever beyond my class work.
One problem with not wanting to make any friends is that when you have a problem in life, there is no "real person" to talk to, and then anonymous internet forums might become your source of advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul