Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 03:16 AM

33 posts, read 51,378 times

Advertisements

Hello guys I am a recent college graduate in my mid 20's single no kids with a bacholer's degree in communications and marketing and I am strongly considering Minneapolis to start my career. What I want to know is are they many jobs in Minneapolis/St Paul area in my career field? I have been browsing careerbuilder and I have saw many fortune 500 companies that I found interesting. But I still wanna throw somethings out there and see what type of response I get. Also what are the bad and good areas of Minneapolis?? also how are the Cedar 94 apts? I find those interesting and wondering how they are? I plan to spend no more than $1,300 a month on a nice place. If information will be useful and helpful thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
For 1,300 a month you can get a far nicer place than Cedars 94. Its not in a great area and a former roommate worked there, and he said avoid it; many families overloading small apartments, etc. The best areas for younger people are uptown (the 20xx block south, and West of 35W, getting progressively better as you move west, several blocks west of the interstate are kind of sketchy) Northeast Minneapolis, and near the U of M. People who have finished school are more likely to prefer NE or Uptown. I also had friends live on Cathedral Hill or near Grand Ave in St. Paul and it was a nice fun area. Areas to avoid would be parts of North Minneapolis, and directly east of 35W from Franklin to about the 3600 block, but the farther east you go, the better it gets as you get to Longfellow. I lived in Uptown for 2.5 years and I LOVED it, even with the higher cost of living compared to other neighborhoods

As far as starting your career in your field, Minneapolis is probably as good as any other town. United Health, Target, and Wells Fargo seemed to hire the most kids from my graduating class (I graduated 2010.) Wells Fargo seemed to do all their hiring through AccountTemps and similar groups, but was good about hiring them direct full time after a few months.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 7,622 times
Default Cedars 94 Apartments and the Minneapolis Area

I personally enjoy the area where Cedars 94 is located. It's very central to downtown, uptown and northeast neighborhoods. You should know that the Minneapolis area comes with a higher price tag than outlying suburbs, however it is a great place to be. I found this site which shows some more information about the Cedars 94 properties, its amenities and the walk score of the area:

Cedars 94 | Apartments in Minneapolis MN | Apartment Living Guide

On the career side, there are many opportunities in the Minneapolis area. There are many large companies based in the cities, which means many job prospects. I'd highly recommend the area!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2250 View Post
I personally enjoy the area where Cedars 94 is located. It's very central to downtown, uptown and northeast neighborhoods. You should know that the Minneapolis area comes with a higher price tag than outlying suburbs, however it is a great place to be. I found this site which shows some more information about the Cedars 94 properties, its amenities and the walk score of the area:

Cedars 94 | Apartments in Minneapolis MN | Apartment Living Guide

On the career side, there are many opportunities in the Minneapolis area. There are many large companies based in the cities, which means many job prospects. I'd highly recommend the area!
You can't be serious?? Do you work in Marketing for Cedars or something?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
For 1,300 a month you can get a far nicer place than Cedars 94. Its not in a great area and a former roommate worked there, and he said avoid it; many families overloading small apartments, etc. The best areas for younger people are uptown (the 20xx block south, and West of 35W, getting progressively better as you move west, several blocks west of the interstate are kind of sketchy) Northeast Minneapolis, and near the U of M. People who have finished school are more likely to prefer NE or Uptown. I also had friends live on Cathedral Hill or near Grand Ave in St. Paul and it was a nice fun area. Areas to avoid would be parts of North Minneapolis, and directly east of 35W from Franklin to about the 3600 block, but the farther east you go, the better it gets as you get to Longfellow. I lived in Uptown for 2.5 years and I LOVED it, even with the higher cost of living compared to other neighborhoods

As far as starting your career in your field, Minneapolis is probably as good as any other town. United Health, Target, and Wells Fargo seemed to hire the most kids from my graduating class (I graduated 2010.) Wells Fargo seemed to do all their hiring through AccountTemps and similar groups, but was good about hiring them direct full time after a few months.
Let me just add that I did a stint through Accountemps for Wells Fargo and I was told I needed to Temp for I believe it was 2 years before I could have the option to be officially placed within the company (which I had little desire to do anyways, but Temping for 2 years isn't exactly ideal either).

I thought that info may be useful to you.

As far as Marketing/Communications jobs, you can't pick many other places better than the Twin Cities when it comes to advertising, a component of marketing. I don't know exactly where they rank nationally but I think it's top 5. Campbell Mithune, Periscope, Fallon Worldwide, and Olson are five of the biggest agencies you could start a search with.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Let me just add that I did a stint through Accountemps for Wells Fargo and I was told I needed to Temp for I believe it was 2 years before I could have the option to be officially placed within the company (which I had little desire to do anyways, but Temping for 2 years isn't exactly ideal either).

I thought that info may be useful to you.

As far as Marketing/Communications jobs, you can't pick many other places better than the Twin Cities when it comes to advertising, a component of marketing. I don't know exactly where they rank nationally but I think it's top 5. Campbell Mithune, Periscope, Fallon Worldwide, and Olson are five of the biggest agencies you could start a search with.
That may have been the case at one point but not so any longer..unless Accountemps has a different contract. I know several people that have worked at Wells as a Temp but were hired in a year or less..all within the last couple years.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I couldn't agree more with this poster's advice, though I would add that you may also want to check out the North Loop neighborhood downtown. Since I have a home in Longfellow I can only eye the area wistfully, but it's got a lot of great restaurants, interesting old brick warehouses (many converted into luxury apartments/lofts/condos), and several of the major PR/Advertising houses are within walking distance. Since I can't seriously look to move to the North Loop despite my dreams of more-urban living I don't know about costs, but $1,300 a month can get you a nice place in most parts of Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul