Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 AM

422 posts, read 575,096 times

Advertisements

I moved into my house in July. I knew I would have to fix some things, seeing as the house is from the mid 50s. I had an inspection done by a trusted guy who has been in the business for years. One thing I noticed was that I have a good deal of galvanized piping in the basement. Neither bathroom has it (both have either copper or pex) but there's a good deal of galvanized running across the ceiling, as well as to the water heater etc. 90% of it is right there in the open, and not hidden behind walls.

The problem is the fact galvanized is obviously not good, and it can gunk up inside. I had no idea that the pipes were even an issue, but a buddy was over the other night and noticed them. He explained to me that I should replace them now before one of them springs a leak. Even worse was that some of the galvanized piping meets up with copper piping, which is apparently a no-no.

I have no leaks and no issues right now, but who knows what the condition of those pipes are in. It's only a matter of time before a leak springs. I am just wondering why the inspector didn't notice this, but a friend of mine who knows next to nothing about homes (same as me) noticed it.

What should I do? Does anyone know a TRUSTED plumber in the Apple Valley/Lakeville/Farmington area that I could contact? I am not shy at some DIY, but plumbing and electric are 2 things I will leave to the pros. Thanks!

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
I moved into my house in July. I knew I would have to fix some things, seeing as the house is from the mid 50s. I had an inspection done by a trusted guy who has been in the business for years. One thing I noticed was that I have a good deal of galvanized piping in the basement. Neither bathroom has it (both have either copper or pex) but there's a good deal of galvanized running across the ceiling, as well as to the water heater etc. 90% of it is right there in the open, and not hidden behind walls.

The problem is the fact galvanized is obviously not good, and it can gunk up inside. I had no idea that the pipes were even an issue, but a buddy was over the other night and noticed them. He explained to me that I should replace them now before one of them springs a leak. Even worse was that some of the galvanized piping meets up with copper piping, which is apparently a no-no.

I have no leaks and no issues right now, but who knows what the condition of those pipes are in. It's only a matter of time before a leak springs. I am just wondering why the inspector didn't notice this, but a friend of mine who knows next to nothing about homes (same as me) noticed it.

What should I do? Does anyone know a TRUSTED plumber in the Apple Valley/Lakeville/Farmington area that I could contact? I am not shy at some DIY, but plumbing and electric are 2 things I will leave to the pros. Thanks!

Tony
your friend who "knows next to nothing about homes" may be overstating the urgency just a wee bit...

how old is the house?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM

422 posts, read 575,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
your friend who "knows next to nothing about homes" may be overstating the urgency just a wee bit...

how old is the house?
1956. There is no galvanized piping on the main level that I can see. It's all in the laundry room, and most of it is easy to get to. There's a stretch that runs from the laundry room unfinished section thru the ceiling into the finishe part that would be a nightmare to remove.

As for the urgency, I am sure it won't spring a leak tomorrow but from my limited reading, it's something you want to address while it's still functioning and before it springs a leak. I dunno, that's why I am on here trying to learn.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
1956. There is no galvanized piping on the main level that I can see. It's all in the laundry room, and most of it is easy to get to. There's a stretch that runs from the laundry room unfinished section thru the ceiling into the finishe part that would be a nightmare to remove.

As for the urgency, I am sure it won't spring a leak tomorrow but from my limited reading, it's something you want to address while it's still functioning and before it springs a leak. I dunno, that's why I am on here trying to learn.
50 - 60 years is getting up there but there is galvanized pipe out there much older than that.

Any failure will likely not be catastrophic but start with a pin-hole leak and a fine stream of water. Likely at an elbow or threaded connection, steel to copper transition without a dielectric fitting is probably your most likely potential for failure.

One relatively inexpensive thing you could do is to reduce your water pressure. Not sure where you live but I think Mpls and most communities probably run about 60-65#, you could relieve the stress on your current system by having a pressure regulator installed at the inlet and reduce your pressure by 10# or so. The PRV would probably not cost more than a few hundred bucks to have installed. You can check your water pressure by buying a gauge and fitting ($10) at your local hardware store that you can hook to a garden hose and your laundry tub.

Estimates to have the piping replaced would probably be free. In commercial and industrial applications, I have had evaluations done of aged galvanized and steel piping in where ultra-sound and x-ray equipment is used to check pipe thickness and some of those techniques may have found their way into residential plumbing shops that you contact. You could also have them replace a short section of piping and see what the condition of the existing pipe looks like, it'll probably look pretty nasty and restricted on the inside but it's likely been like that for decades.

I'd use copper before PEC but it would depend on how long I was hanging on to the house too.

Really a pretty easy DIY project, soldering/brazing pipe is pretty easy with just a little practice providing you have access to the connections, and have no water in the pipe.

You may want to invest in a water detector as well, as cheap as they are, everyone should have one...
Zircon Corporation Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector-64003 at The Home Depot

You may find more answers and ideas in the House forum here.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Can't help you with removing/not removing but this is the plumber we use

Peine Plumbing and Heating Inc. | Farmington, MN

He's been in business for 50 years..we've had great service from them. They are out of Farmington.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,527 times
I also have galvanized pipe that started at the meter and through most of my basement utility area before it changed over the PEX and copper for the rest of the house. I had a pinhole leak in one connection, and I decided to get rid of all of it at that time. I had it all replaced with PEX, from my water meter with a new main shutoff valve, for less than $300. It took them close to 3 hours, rerouting connections to my water heater and softener.

In your situation, its not urgent but it should be on your list of things to do at some point. Those pipes rust from the inside and have a tendency to shower gunk to your faucets. I had to replace the solenoid on my touch sensitive kitchen faucet (fortunately under warranty) because it got completely clogged with debris. That was another reason I decided to get rid of it.

I recommend Glacier Plumbing based in Cedar, MN. They are both reasonably priced and do great work. Avoid at all costs any company that charges you a service call fee and then pulls out a book with set prices (plumbing salesmen). Good plumbers simply charge by the hour plus parts. My plumber estimated it would take longer, finished it an hour early, and charged me for only the time he worked.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 AM

413 posts, read 764,257 times
We had galvanized in our first house, built in 1955, and I actually liked it, simply because it's super easy to work on. I was able to install a dishwasher where there was none at a time I was far less handy than I am now.

Copper isn't the be all end all. We recently had a pinhole leak in our copper piping and had to get a plumber out to fix it, as the two things I won't do are gas lines and copper pipe repair. Unfortunately, it happened late at night (I just happened to go into that room - otherwise it could have been a disaster) and had one of the "service charge" companies come out, as they were the only ones who could come on short notice.

I wouldn't rush to replace all your galvanized just for the sake of doing it.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,527 times
While I agree there's no rush to get galvanized out, if the pipes are pretty old, they'll just lead to problems later on. While I don't think catastrophic failures with galvanized are likely, they will eventually ruin faucets downstream (destroy cartridges, aerators, etc).

Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM

357 posts, read 444,651 times
I've had two houses, both built in the early 1900's, and eventually replaced the iron pipe with copper, but only because of remodeling jobs or problems with low pressure. I would not worry about it unless you have a problem, then replace as you need to.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
a disaster is galvanized pipe buried in the ground.

Above ground is lest risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: