Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Seems kind of nuts to me considering we can have winters that can last up to six months around here.

Mpls City Council Considers Lowering Residential Speed Limit « CBS Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
The drivers in Minneapolis proved that they arent that bright when they are driving a car so they deserve to get lower speed limits and narrow streets. Ive drivin my bicycle and a car in Minneapolis and i never seen so much stupidity. they should sell their cars and stick with metro transit

Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seems kind of nuts to me considering we can have winters that can last up to six months around here.
People still ride bikes during the winter in Minneapolis.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The drivers in Minneapolis proved that they arent that bright when they are driving a car so they deserve to get lower speed limits and narrow streets. Ive drivin my bicycle and a car in Minneapolis and i never seen so much stupidity. they should sell their cars and stick with metro transit
There's a certain irony in one who is touting Gary Johnson, a Libertarian, and then advocating imposing a "bicyclists will" on drivers by means of law.

That said, while I have no particular ill will towards bicyclists I have seen plenty of bicyclists riding in stupid ways too. It might be from just plain stupidity or from blatant disregard of the traffic laws that, believe it or not, apply to bicyclists too. I won't quite say bicyclists deserve to be hit if driving stupid, but...

When I see Robert Lilligren is pushing this, that pretty much tells me this has less to do with a bleeding heart for injuries as opposed to political ideology that wants to punish anyone daring to use "evil fossil fuels". Let's make traffic more and more difficult in Minneapolis so nobody wants to come into the city. Then Robert and the Council can scratch their heads and wonder why businesses are closing down...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
There's a certain irony in one who is touting Gary Johnson, a Libertarian, and then advocating imposing a "bicyclists will" on drivers by means of law.
All i do when im riding my bicycle is follow the rules like a normal person, i ride on the road to the right as possible and people think they don't have enough room to go around me and they beep, i wave em passed to let them know "its okay buddy you can make it" so they finally try and at the same time try to purposely run me down, this happens to me about once a month. people basically trying to kill me because i'm getting in there way.

I don't like it when people try to murder me with their cars because i have been knocked down before and ended up under a chevy tahoe but i am invincible and i have hulk powers, next time it happens im gonna pick up their car and put the car in the closest car dealership and i'll tell the driver that it would be a good idea they sell the car and buy a go-to card.

just remember those are humans riding those bicycles

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 10-19-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 01:24 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
Many of the lunatics on bicycles are the same lunatics driving cars. They all don't understand right-of-way. They text and drive (bike or car). I prefer them cycling so they do most of the damage to themselves.

I can do without bike lanes but they give people driving a car less reason to honk and rage at you than if I am in the same spot in a normal, unmarked lane.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
People still ride bikes during the winter in Minneapolis.
Enough to justify changing the rules for cars? I find that hard to believe. I think maybe the inmates have taken over the asylum in Minneapolis.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
The lowering of the speed limit is because people want slower speeds in their neighborhoods and don't want to have to go through an extensive petition process section-by-section.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What do you think? Seems kind of nuts to me considering we can have winters that can last up to six months around here.

Mpls City Council Considers Lowering Residential Speed Limit « CBS Minnesota
Sounds like a city I could definitely live in. More bicycle friendly? Of course.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
The lowering of the speed limit is because people want slower speeds in their neighborhoods and don't want to have to go through an extensive petition process section-by-section.
Amen to that. Why shouldn't the city have the ability and flexibility to regulate the speeds in the neighborhoods? It obviously won't be appropriate in every situation, but the city should have the right to easily create policies to protect the safety and interests of its residents. And I'm all for making the city safer for bikers and pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul