Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,813 times

Advertisements

I routinely drive and bicycle. The arrogance of those driving motor vehicles is well documented. However, those riding bicycles engage in their fair share of irresponsible/rude behaviors.

Bicyclists have the same legal right to drive on any street as does a motorist. However, by law, they are also required to observe the standard regulations pertaining to doing so: stop signs, traffic lights, turn signals, etc. Many of those riding bicycles routinely ignore basic traffic laws. As long as bicyclists obey traffic regulations and indicate their intent (use signals), I'm fine sharing the roadways.

The only pet peeve I have is with bicyclists who use the road, in spite of having an adjacent bike path to use. I Live near and frequently need to drive on the West river Road on the edge of Downtown Minneapolis. Being a parkway, this is a narrow road to begin with. There is enough room for two cars to pass, but little more. When a bicycle is using the roadway, it significantly slows down traffic in both directions. What bothers me is that there is a well-maintained bicycle path six feet away from the road. It follows the exact same course along the river. Next to the bicycle path, is a separate pedestrian path. Which means that bicyclists using the path don't even need to worry about competing with pedestrian traffic. Bicyclists have a legal right to use this road, but those who do so seem to be there merely because they can be there --not because they should be there, given the presence of the bike path. Common courtesy needs to function in both directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, and remembering the extra-snowy winters, where the snow piles along the curbs, ate up a good part of the streets, won't this be a bit problematic finding those markings in the streets? Or do the bicyclists not bicycle in winter up there?
Yes, lots of people bike in the winter, and it's growing every year (so probably more than when you lived here, even if you lived here up until recently!). I don't bike and haven't been paying close attention, but those big green markers are fairly new. The streets are plowed and these markers are in the street, no by the curb, so it shouldn't be an issue. There WAS, however, a problem with the marking paint lasting the winter -- don't recall the details, but the paint strips didn't last well during the first winter (they faded drastically) so they had to redo many of them. I gather they're still pretty new and cities (not just Mpls) haven't totally figured out what works and what doesn't, especially when it comes to standing up to the snowplows. They've since been experimenting with different paint types and techniques, so we'll see how things look in the spring!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,029,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
My question is this: Why do those green lanes for bikes have to be down the MIDDLE of the traffic lane? That's pure stupidity personified! Way to slow EVERYONE down. Most of the bikers aren't riding appropriately. They're doing the grandma crawl and peddling like they're out for a Sunday stroll.

Bicyclists should have to pass a test and get some kind of permit to ride in the streets. And, even then, keep to the curb.
The only reason there would be green in the middle is if there isn't enough room on the side. This sounds like it's either a bike boulevard or shared lane, in which case the city doesn't want you commuting on it anyway, as it's a residential side street. The green is an excellent way to make drivers more aware that bikers are present. For instance, they have one at the corner of 4th Street and 15th Ave SE where the biker was killed a year or two ago.

While bikers should try to keep a decent pace on the road, just try to scoot around them. A biker can reasonably go maybe up to 20 mph, but most cruise between 12-15 mph. Perhaps too slow for the road, but too fast for the sidewalk.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Well, it is true that Minneapolis street plowing is not at all bicycle friendly. But I still remember going to work on the night of the Hallowe'en blizzard, seeing someone on a bicycle riding University right up the middle. I was amazed that I was making it to work, then I saw what I considered "a real nut" riding a bike. But even so, the side streets in MOST cases will be plowed after a day or two. And a lot of sidewalks will be shoveled. I might actually load my bike on a Metro Transit bus to get close to my destination, thereby avoiding nearly all the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul