Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,211,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I think we should get heated bike separated lanes....like the heated sidewalks in Norway.
and here all along, I thought the bike community was always willing to provide their own hot air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,043,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I've never been a fan of mixing cars and bikes. I know it is happening and will continue to. But the trouble and the expense is a mistake to me. I stay completely off busy streets when I ride. 10 percent (maybe less) of the city streets are overused. The rest have next to nothing on them. Those streets need nothing done to be safe for bicycles. But, as I say, if accommodating bikes makes life harder on all those shortcutting drivers, I refuse to get upset about it. The world really doesn't need so many people driving from place to place. It is a privilege people choose to indulge, and they just gotta take what comes with the territory.
The problem is that the 10 percent of roads you list as being too busy for bikers to be safe are exactly the roads that have the things people want and/or actually go places. Plenty of roads don't cross over the interstate or the river or other obstacles. That's when you need to use one of those major roads.

When an alternative is possible, I try to take it. After all, if I can easily get somewhere on a quieter route, why not? Less waiting and certainly less dangerous! For instance, despite the bike lanes on much of University and 4th Street near the U, I always took the 5th Street bike boulevard to campus. It only runs a block off the major roads and traffic is one way. It's also the only road in the area that crosses the interstate (via the pedestrian/bike bridge) that wouldn't be considered "busy" (as University/4th Street and 8th Street are). Certainly we can all slow things down for a little bit as we pass a bike. They're trying to get places too.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,662,702 times
My question is this: Why do those green lanes for bikes have to be down the MIDDLE of the traffic lane? That's pure stupidity personified! Way to slow EVERYONE down. Most of the bikers aren't riding appropriately. They're doing the grandma crawl and peddling like they're out for a Sunday stroll.

Bicyclists should have to pass a test and get some kind of permit to ride in the streets. And, even then, keep to the curb.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,437,695 times
Which lanes? On Bryant they're in the middle because there's no safe way for a bike and car to fit in the same lane: your car is too fat! Buy a smart car if you want to pass so badly in a car or ride your bike. On Hennepin the green bike lanes should always be in the middle, because for newbies like I was, I didn't know the green lane on one block changes frequently from me having room to share with a car to the next block where all of a sudden there just isn't enough room fr both and the driver passed too close for my liking half and half in both lanes. In any case, they're green because they're bike priority lanes;if you want to sit behind bikes then drive in these lanes and you can admire my firm legs and glutes.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM

643 posts, read 1,042,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
and here all along, I thought the bike community was always willing to provide their own hot air?
If you add in the politicians, we can have a large natural source of energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
My question is this: Why do those green lanes for bikes have to be down the MIDDLE of the traffic lane? That's pure stupidity personified! Way to slow EVERYONE down. Most of the bikers aren't riding appropriately. They're doing the grandma crawl and peddling like they're out for a Sunday stroll.

Bicyclists should have to pass a test and get some kind of permit to ride in the streets. And, even then, keep to the curb.
What lanes are in the middle of the street? If you want to go fast, drive on the highway.

It is also very unsafe to ride right next to the curb so, no, please don't ride there.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,819,495 times
Quote:

If bikers hug the curb, they're at higher risk from getting hit by some idiot who whips a car door without looking. What's wrong with sharing the road? If you're that annoyed about the green bike lanes, you could just choose a different street.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,662,702 times
Sharing the road is fine. I have no problem with that. But, when bicyclists are casually peddling down the middle of road, holding up traffic and not veering to the right even when they're able to to let traffic pass. It has NOTHING to do with "going fast." The speed limit is 30mph and bicyclists slow everyone down to 9mph. If a CAR were going that slow, they would get a ticket.

Roads were intended for cars. Bicycles are secondary. Yes, motorists need to be watchful and careful but bicyclists need to be understanding and cooperative, too.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM

643 posts, read 1,042,417 times
Quote:
Sharing the road is fine. I have no problem with that. But, when bicyclists are casually peddling down the middle of road, holding up traffic and not veering to the right even when they're able to to let traffic pass. It has NOTHING to do with "going fast." The speed limit is 30mph and bicyclists slow everyone down to 9mph. If a CAR were going that slow, they would get a ticket.

Roads were intended for cars. Bicycles are secondary. Yes, motorists need to be watchful and careful but bicyclists need to be understanding and cooperative, too.
I recommend reading the history of transportation in this country before making statements about roads and what they were intended for. Also, if bicyclists are secondary, you should inform the legislature so that they change the classification of what a bicycle is in the state law.

And yes, everyone needs to cooperate. There is a long (and continuing) attitude of bicycles being treated as toys and recreational items that is very hard to overcome. Licensing for cars is also too easy and the privilege of operating a motor vehicle is not taken seriously.

I often wonder why Minnesotans get easily annoyed by having to slow down. I think there is a lack of exposure to horse-buggy transportation, large lumbering farm equipment....and maybe not that many elderly driving around here.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM

23,364 posts, read 29,245,757 times
Having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, and remembering the extra-snowy winters, where the snow piles along the curbs, ate up a good part of the streets, won't this be a bit problematic finding those markings in the streets? Or do the bicyclists not bicycle in winter up there?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 PM

993 posts, read 1,774,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I often wonder why Minnesotans get easily annoyed by having to slow down. I think there is a lack of exposure to horse-buggy transportation, large lumbering farm equipment....and maybe not that many elderly driving around here.
So true! I was shocked at how crazy fast people drive here. Back in Rapid City, if you were going the speed limit you were passing everyone. Here it seems like unless you are going 10 over, you are getting flown around. Speed limits on non main roads should not be 30 mph. Most side streets are 25 or 20 in Rapid and if I don't want to go that slow, I go on a main road a few blocks over and go 35. I don't see what the big deal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul