Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 PM

369 posts, read 633,442 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Plymouth so we're officially moving! I'll be attending the U for school, first at the Minneapolis campus and then St. Paul when I start Nutrition classes. Our budget is less than $1400 which has quickly ruled out a lot in the cities, so we're looking in the NW suburbs since we figure that's really the most convenient if we stay nearish 394. We visited St Louis Park and liked it, and I saw a bit of Plymouth and Maple Grove, but not a lot.

We are seeing many apartment complexes that look nice online in Crystal, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Plymouth and of course St Louis Park. Not sure I want go much more north than that. As experts, what opinions can you share with me about the areas? Preferences? We are 28 and 30, no kids, but planning in starting a family in 1-2 years. We are runners and enjoy the city but want more room for less money and we don't expect immediate access to those things (although a couple close restaurants would be nice.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I'd rent close to your husband's work to keep commute costs down. I'd normally suggest being close to one "job" but you probably don't want to live around a bunch of college kids. Look around Plymouth for rentals. It's a nice area, probably aren't going to have to worry too much about a "bad" neighborhood.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
Depending on where in Plymouth, I'd look at either something with easy access to 394 or near the transit center in Maple Grove (if working more northernly in Plymouth). Both would give you decent bus access to the University of Minnesota.

From Plymouth route 652 could be an option: http://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sit...tes/23/652.pdf

From Maple Grove, there are a ton of buses from the Maple Grove Transit Station to downtown Minneapolis. From there you could easily catch a bus (or light rail?) to the University. That's probably more time consuming than the bus along 394, but probably much faster than most of the areas you are considering. An upside to Maple Grove is that you would have access to many restaurants and a stronger trail system.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I agree that you should pay attention to bus routes -- it's going to cost you a fortune to park at the U (less so at the St Paul campus, however) and the commute will be slow during bad weather, so life will be cheaper and easier if you can hop on an express bus for all or most of your classes.

If you like St. Louis Park, I think it's a decent option; many nice apartment buildings, express bus access to the U, not far from Plymouth, and, depending on where you live, you could be walking or short driving distance to a variety of restaurants. I believe one of the 114 express buses to the U heads to SLP along Excelsior, and if you lived along that stretch you'd be near a lot of good places to run, including not far from Lake Calhoun. That would also put you closer to Uptown, which is where it's likely many of your classmates (and likely some of your husband's coworkers) are going to live. There are a lot of nice apartment buildings in the immediate area, and if in a few years you want to have kids and switch to a house the neighborhoods nearby are affordable and family-friendly.

If you lived in that area you could get by with just one car, if you wanted to further slash expenses.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 AM

How much does it cost to park on campus? How often do the buses run? We were planning on a 2nd car. After 6 years in NY I was looking forward not being beholden to a public transportation schedule.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Actually I just realized that it's likely I'll get a part-time job somewhere so I will need to drive. So assume there are 2 cars and bus service isn't necessary.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
How much does it cost to park on campus? How often do the buses run? We were planning on a 2nd car. After 6 years in NY I was looking forward not being beholden to a public transportation schedule.
It's not that much more than a bus pass and transportation from the suburbs. I wouldn't worry too much about parking at the U for now. I don't blame you for not wanting to have to live and die by a bus schedule. There is just so much more freedom when you drive

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Parking costs anywhere from $65-$130 per month, or $4-$22 per day if you don't have a contract. The contract parking passes are given out through a lottery.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM

That's quite a spread! I guess I'll have to take my chances on being on the lower end. What makes it cheaper?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Pricing depends on if you want an outdoor lot, unheated ramp, or heated garage.
Daily visitor parking is $4/day for lot parking, then much more for on street metered parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul