Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
There are auto/train accidents anywhere in which the two conveyances share the roadway--this happens in major East coast cities, as well as in more recently-constructed transportation networks. Once people get used to the existence of train traffic; peaceful coexistence with automobiles, bicycles, and pedestrians will follow.

Given that the Green Line passes through several districts containing dense residential, institutional, and commercial activity; it was never expected to be a substitute for those traveling from one downtown to the other. It is meant as a means for people to easily travel segments of the full line. Having lived in Boston, with a highly-developed subway system (2nd oldest in The US), I never once utilized a train from end-point to end-point.

Minneapolis-St Paul is the twenty-third largest economy in the world: ranking just behind Hong Kong, and just ahead of Mumbai. Having a functional transportation network isn't about trying to be something we're not. Rather, it is about appreciating--and building upon-- the global metropolitan area we have become. I reject wannabe Tea Party obstructionists as neo-luddites, but likewise recognize the need for revitalization and connection.
Actually, it IS the oldest subway system in America, and while we all have complaints with it, it's pretty efficient, and quite extensive, running south (via commuter rail) to Providence, west to Worcester, and north to Lowell, near the NH border..

Congrats to MSP for developing a 2nd light-rail line. And while the expense was considerable, more and more people are going without cars, so this will serve a growing constituency..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
So in summary of this thread (and I think I speak for all)

The gl....was a waste of money. Move on everyone nothing here to see
I highly doubt you speak for all on this one.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:35 PM

357 posts, read 444,505 times
Quote:
Congrats to MSP for developing a 2nd light-rail line. And while the expense was considerable, more and more people are going without cars, so this will serve a growing constituency..
I think a lot of people here are missing the key point. The discussion has not been about the need for mass transit, or even light rail. Nor, has it been about the need for economic development. I for one, and most of the people posting here seem to be supportive of better transit. The problem is the way this particular line was designed.

It goes down a not very busy corridor that was well served by buses. It only stops every half mile so it doesn't serve the locals whose bus service has been cut in half. At the same time it takes twice a long to go from city center to city center as the express bus which itself no longer runs as much. The bottom line is that this billion dollar rail line doesn't serve any constituency very well.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM

367 posts, read 545,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I think a lot of people here are missing the key point. The discussion has not been about the need for mass transit, or even light rail. Nor, has it been about the need for economic development. I for one, and most of the people posting here seem to be supportive of better transit. The problem is the way this particular line was designed.

It goes down a not very busy corridor that was well served by buses. It only stops every half mile so it doesn't serve the locals whose bus service has been cut in half. At the same time it takes twice a long to go from city center to city center as the express bus which itself no longer runs as much. The bottom line is that this billion dollar rail line doesn't serve any constituency very well.

^^This. Well said, Yosh01.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:

Are you saying there aren't enough stops or that they're too far apart? What do you want, a fast train with less stops, or a slow train with a stop every 1/10 mile?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Actually, it IS the oldest subway system in America, and while we all have complaints with it, it's pretty efficient, and quite extensive, running south (via commuter rail) to Providence, west to Worcester, and north to Lowell, near the NH border..

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it had beaten NY to it--I'm guessing NY to be second then. I had also forgotten about the commuter lines, which add an entirely new dimension to the role Boston plays regionally.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

If you have a mass transit system that stops every half-mile, then you have a pretty good system. You may argue about bus sevices that should have been left alone, and about the cost of a light-rail line, but you can't complain about " half-mile" distances between stops. That's nothing at all.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I work along the University Corridor and I love the Green Line. I've been using it to commute to work this week and think it serves me very well. My company is happy with it, too, and now that we've survived construction we are very optimistic that it's going to mean great things for our staff and visitors. So far, for me, it sure beats the bus. And as far as complaining about distance between stops -- the 16 still runs, so you could always get onto one of those if you didn't want to walk the distance from station to a stop farther up the street. (for me, I got lucky; the Green Line is closer to my work than the previous 50 bus stop)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I work along the University Corridor and I love the Green Line. I've been using it to commute to work this week and think it serves me very well. My company is happy with it, too, and now that we've survived construction we are very optimistic that it's going to mean great things for our staff and visitors. So far, for me, it sure beats the bus. And as far as complaining about distance between stops -- the 16 still runs, so you could always get onto one of those if you didn't want to walk the distance from station to a stop farther up the street. (for me, I got lucky; the Green Line is closer to my work than the previous 50 bus stop)
I know everyone isn't as thrilled, but it is great for me, as well. I had a Blue Line stop in the neighborhood, but is was about a mile walk and only took me downtown. Now, I can walk two minutes from my apartment and head to campus or to downtown.

Yay for the West Bank station.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are the trains packed, with most people standing? That would be typical of most subway lines..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul