Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times

Advertisements

I was in on business and saw this next to my hotel and decided to pop-up in. I was immediately stopped and asked for ID. I was refused service because I was from out of state (even though it's next to a hotel). The door man says they do not serve out of state patrons. I believe this was racial discrimination as I am black and not a single guest in the bar was black.

I called back and the lady who answered the phone says yes it was open to the public. I explained the situation and spoke to the manager who said that yes that is a policy and it's totally legal - it is NOT. You can't refuse service based on arbitrary requirements.

So what is the story on this place? I can say it left a very bad impression with me, which was favorable of St. Paul. It looks like it's a redneck bar and clearly only want white patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Wow. That makes no sense at all. I don't understand why they would do this.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Wow. That makes no sense at all. I don't understand why they would do this.
I had my co-worker who was white, walk in with no issues, no ID check or anything. He even mentioned at the bar he was from out of town.

Talking with the owner he says he can refuse service to anyone he wants. He's mistaken, if you're open to the public you can't do that - it's a civil rights violation.

Clearly racial profiling and illegal. I've filed a complaint with the BBB.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Good start. If inclined you could also complain to the St. Paul Chamber of Commerce, one of the TV stations (KARE 11, KMSP 9, WCCO, KSTP) and the MN Atty General's office.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM

152 posts, read 290,860 times
Sorry you had a bad experience. But I wouldn't bother with the BBB. I don't think there all that legit.

I'd recommend contacting the city's Human Rights Division. City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website - Human Rights You'll find their email and phone number on their webpage.

I'd also suggest writing a letter to the editor of the Pioneer Press.
Submit a letter to the editor - TwinCities.com

I haven't been to that place and have little desire to go there. I've heard a lot of shady things. There was a rape there just a few weeks ago. Alleged rape in downtown St. Paul bar investigated - TwinCities.com

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
BBB is a corporation--they really have no standing and if you are considering legal action, they won't take your complaint or they won't put it on the company profile. A company could have 100 lawsuits and still be in "good standing" with the BBB.

I'm also having a hard time believing your story in a "saloon" in St. Paul...Jackson, MS maybe, but St. Paul?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM

152 posts, read 290,860 times
It was the "Bullpen" when it opened a couple years ago. It's in the old Buttery space. I was really happy to see a new bar move into the space. It had been vacant for years. But I've yet to hear anything real positive about the place since it opened.

I think they're on their way to replacing the Gopher Bar on 7th St as the bad boy in downtown St. Paul.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Golfgal, this is the establishment OP is writing about: Minnesota Saloon

So maybe before you decide you "have a hard time believing your story" you might want to read the post over a couple of times.

I agree with spectre000 that the pioneer press may want to publish something investigative about this, and the dept of Human Rights is another good suggestion.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Also here is the MN Dept of Human Rights: MN Department of Human Rights : Contact Us

Interestingly, their St. Paul office is near the bar

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
In addition to going through the MN Dept of Human Rights - under the commerce clause (I think) it is a constitutional violation. In box me if you are interested in a plaintiff's firm to consider taking the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul