Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM

442 posts, read 497,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I think you should file a complaint with the AG and Human Rights Commission, but I had a similar situation happen at Bulldog NE in Mpls that wasn't ethnicity related. Minnesota has the most bizarre liquor laws in the Midwest. There must be strict enforcement because every time I order a drink in Minnesota, I get carded, and I'm in my mid-30's and I don't look young for my age.

In the situation at Bulldog, they wouldn't accept my valid out of state license. I was visiting two friends that live in MN who are also in their mid-30's; we were all well dressed, well groomed, and stone cold sober. The waitress said no to me, then I told her to get the manager and he said no as well. My friends said they wanted to cancel their drinks and food and then the manager went and got the book with all the pictures of out of state licenses and then said it was ok, but they would have refused if we weren't persistent.

I think what makes your complaint a strong one is that they treated you and your out-of-state white friend differently. They can't just say that they don't take out of state licenses because the liquor licensing board is cracking down on them, since they let him go in.
Same thing happened to me at the Bulldog in St Paul. I only had my MN State ID on me (no license then). They refused to serve me b/c it was an ID only. Even though it was all current, and had my age on it (I was well over 30 at that point). it was so frustrating!!!!

OP - I am very sorry you had to deal with that. I work next door to the MN Saloon and...you really did not miss anything. I recommend either El Barrio, Great Waters, or maybe attempt Bulldog (food and beer are good...if you can get them to serve it to you!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,753,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As you have already started, I would post all kinds of stories on the net such as Yelp, FB, etc. Then please print off these reviews and bring in the owner a copy. Explain to them that you have all kinds of energy to post more and more. Be smug about it. Explain how you are planning on putting up flyers near his restaurant to help educate the public. See how long his smugness hangs on before he gets angry. Stick to the facts.

Yes. Things like this happen like this in 2014. I was at Sams Club yesterday and got a free sample. I made small talk with a demo person. She reluctantly told me a story that really bothered her. A 5-6 year old black girl asked for a free sample and her mom o.k. it. She was demoing a BBQ sandwich. The little girls told the demo lady "I really love these sandwiches" while I tall white guy said "I bet you do!". He reached over the head of the patiently waiting young girl who was 1st in line and took the last sample before she reacted.

Disclaimer: this happened in Surprise AZ and not MN. But racism is alive and well. I just wish I would have heard that comment personally so I could have straightened him out.
A grown man stealing the last free sample from a little girl (if true) is highly dramatic & I see how it could elicit emotional responses, but how is it racist?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
A grown man stealing the last free sample from a little girl (if true) is highly dramatic & I see how it could elicit emotional responses, but how is it racist?
Re-read my post. Think of the stereotype of a person who is black and liking BBQ. Add to that he reached over her to grab the last piece.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
I took it to mean that tall people are racist

Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM

861 posts, read 1,148,437 times
Quote:
Re-read my post. Think of the stereotype of a person who is black and liking BBQ. Add to that he reached over her to grab the last piece.
Who doesn't like BBQ? I think the guy was probably just an A-Hole and would do the same thing to anyone shorter than him.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Who doesn't like BBQ? I think the guy was probably just an A-Hole and would do the same thing to anyone shorter than him.
According to the sample lady, it was the inflections in his voice along with a smirk. The icing on the cake was when he knew she was waiting next in line and grabbed the last piece.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,753,215 times
Quote:
Barbeque? Sounds like you're the one who's got the weird racial trip to me? You've demonstrated nothing to make me think this was racially motivated. If true, it's low class, but not every disagreement or wrong that happens between a white & a black is racially motivated.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 PM

413 posts, read 764,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Same thing happened to me at the Bulldog in St Paul. I only had my MN State ID on me (no license then). They refused to serve me b/c it was an ID only. Even though it was all current, and had my age on it (I was well over 30 at that point). it was so frustrating!!!!

OP - I am very sorry you had to deal with that. I work next door to the MN Saloon and...you really did not miss anything. I recommend either El Barrio, Great Waters, or maybe attempt Bulldog (food and beer are good...if you can get them to serve it to you!!!)

Bars that won't serve out of state ID's, or allow a passport as ID annoy me.

I do however know of a couple places that card EVERYONE, regardless of age, because they check if there are alcohol restrictions on the license. If there are - the person will not get served.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
I've been refused service and sales of alcohol for having out of state ID. Said I could use a passport. Obnoxious.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Barbeque? Sounds like you're the one who's got the weird racial trip to me? You've demonstrated nothing to make me think this was racially motivated. If true, it's low class, but not every disagreement or wrong that happens between a white & a black is racially motivated.
You cannot comprehend what I am talking about. I'm white. The sample lady was white. She told me the story and I understood why she translated it in that manner. So no, I am not on some "weird racial trip".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul