Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
BBB is a corporation--they really have no standing and if you are considering legal action, they won't take your complaint or they won't put it on the company profile. A company could have 100 lawsuits and still be in "good standing" with the BBB.

I'm also having a hard time believing your story in a "saloon" in St. Paul...Jackson, MS maybe, but St. Paul?

I would have found it unbelievable myself and actually wondering if *this* was happening. I spoke to the colleague who I was traveling with on business (who is white) and he says the "no out of towners" is code for no minorities. It is laughable because a) it's next to the Double Tree Hotel b) this same friend had no problem getting through the door (he was actually more ticked off than I was and wanted to see what would happen).

I will follow up with the suggestions from earlier posters regarding the appropriate agencies to notify. This is my first trip to St. Paul's and so far it's been pretty good (with the exception of the polar vortex). This one place won't change my overall perception of the city - that wouldn't be fair. I only went in because I figured I would patronize a local establishment vs. dining at the hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I would have found it unbelievable myself and actually wondering if *this* was happening. I spoke to the colleague who I was traveling with on business (who is white) and he says the "no out of towners" is code for no minorities. It is laughable because a) it's next to the Double Tree Hotel b) this same friend had no problem getting through the door (he was actually more ticked off than I was and wanted to see what would happen).

I will follow up with the suggestions from earlier posters regarding the appropriate agencies to notify. This is my first trip to St. Paul's and so far it's been pretty good (with the exception of the polar vortex). This one place won't change my overall perception of the city - that wouldn't be fair. I only went in because I figured I would patronize a local establishment vs. dining at the hotel.
I just hate to see something like this happening here...just know it is NOT common!!....neither are Polar Vortexes.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Before I read your whole story I thought "hey, it's possible that they have some no out-of-state ID policy" (people can be very clueless about IDs; I had a state employee tell me he couldn't accept a passport as formal government ID!) -- but given the place and the rest of the story, I wish you the best in pursuing your complaint -- which I hope you do, as while I don't think this sort of thing is common, it's important to stamp it out where it still exists and not to let people get away with it. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM

533 posts, read 643,828 times
This is despicable. I hope you get a resolution to this. Also, make sure you put it on Yelp, Facebook and other social media avenues. Thanks to them, the people have more power now.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
This is despicable. I hope you get a resolution to this. Also, make sure you put it on Yelp, Facebook and other social media avenues. Thanks to them, the people have more power now.
I've posted on Yelp and Facebook. So far the other reviews on yelp are pretty dis-favorable as well.

I'm going to notify the Attorney General of MN office, just so they can add it to their docket of information on this company.

I appreciate the sentiments and I know that is the overall feeling of most here in the city. I'm waiting for things to warm up so I can enjoy some of the many nice sites, waterfalls, streams, etc. that I've heard so much about. I'm here for about 6 months so looking forward to that.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM

871 posts, read 1,089,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I've posted on Yelp and Facebook. So far the other reviews on yelp are pretty dis-favorable as well.

I'm going to notify the Attorney General of MN office, just so they can add it to their docket of information on this company.

I appreciate the sentiments and I know that is the overall feeling of most here in the city. I'm waiting for things to warm up so I can enjoy some of the many nice sites, waterfalls, streams, etc. that I've heard so much about. I'm here for about 6 months so looking forward to that.

Good for you and I'm sorry this happened- I regard it as a stain on "my town" that such discrimination happened here.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,635,779 times
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, but not exactly shocked. A little surprised that it was this blatant, but not as surprised as some. I wouldn't call Minnesota an inherently racist state, but there is a pretty strong undertone of racism there. I had a black friend tell me one time that he actually felt more comfortable with the racism he encountered in the southern states, because at least the racists there owned their prejudices and didn't try to pretend they were anything but racists. He said Minnesotans are just much better at hiding it, until the occasional moments that it just comes bursting out. As apparently happened to you at the Redneck Saloon.

Good luck following through on this. I hope you're able to hurt them for this in some way. Have you considered a civil lawsuit?

Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,203,511 times
I am so glad to hear you have contacted the AG and put it on Facebook. I am sure that place will fire the racist guy that would not let you in and also making changes for the better in the next few weeks. If he poked a finger in your chest while saying that to you or cursed at you, you may have a civil suit. That is considered a threat. Even if not, they will still be forced to clean up their act.

Very surprising to hear this happened in 2014 in a progressive city with at least a third of its population non-white, too. This i ssomething you might expect on seldom occasions in the exurbs, but not St. Paul.

Good for you on the actions you are taking and good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,554,929 times
Wow. What a horrible experience. Best of luck pursuing this and getting the attention of the proper authorities. Situations like this shouldn't exist in the 21st century.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,976,433 times
I think you should file a complaint with the AG and Human Rights Commission, but I had a similar situation happen at Bulldog NE in Mpls that wasn't ethnicity related. Minnesota has the most bizarre liquor laws in the Midwest. There must be strict enforcement because every time I order a drink in Minnesota, I get carded, and I'm in my mid-30's and I don't look young for my age.

In the situation at Bulldog, they wouldn't accept my valid out of state license. I was visiting two friends that live in MN who are also in their mid-30's; we were all well dressed, well groomed, and stone cold sober. The waitress said no to me, then I told her to get the manager and he said no as well. My friends said they wanted to cancel their drinks and food and then the manager went and got the book with all the pictures of out of state licenses and then said it was ok, but they would have refused if we weren't persistent.

I think what makes your complaint a strong one is that they treated you and your out-of-state white friend differently. They can't just say that they don't take out of state licenses because the liquor licensing board is cracking down on them, since they let him go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul