Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times

Advertisements

Search Minnesota High Schools | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Find a poll that bases it's information on something other than how many kids in a small IB program take an IB test or how many kids take an AP test...not pass, just take. This survey is meaningless.... When you have kids in school you will understand....

Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Find a poll that bases it's information on something other than how many kids in a small IB program take an IB test or how many kids take an AP test...not pass, just take. This survey is meaningless.... When you have kids in school you will understand....
This does not just have the information you described. Anyway, this was meant as extra information for the OP in searching out districts, not to validate my opinion. No need to imply that I dont know what I am talking about--we can agree to disagree. I have had kids in school here, through high school, and I am very familiar with public schools and their pluses and minuses in the metro area, as I worked in school administration here for 11 years......

Let the OP decide for themselves. Give OP more sources of information, not just one persons opinion.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 PM

371 posts, read 556,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is no evidence here that you have even read the post you are responding to.

I am intrigued by the MN Department of ed link posted above, as I wasn't aware that the Multiple measurement rating (MMR) has replaced Average Yearly Progress (AYP) -- not sure what the MMR is!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Roseville schools have a decent reputation. Like any district I'd check out the individual schools first, but there's no need to write off the entire district.

This is getting a little outdated, but a few years ago two of that year's Rhodes scholars were former Roseville HS graduates. Given that there are only a couple dozen Rhodes scholars nationwide each year, that's a pretty impressive statistic. Clearly those particular Roseville grads were well prepared for success when they entered college.

Also, St. Anthony was earlier dismissed; I also have no personal experience with the schools in that suburb, but has always been my understanding that they have a great reputation. It's a small suburb so perhaps the school activities are more limited (no idea), but since so many sports are played outside of school, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In any case, do the research for yourself and don't be scared off by random posters on internet forums who may or may not be familiar with the schools in question.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
There is no evidence here that you have even read the post you are responding to.

I am intrigued by the MN Department of ed link posted above, as I wasn't aware that the Multiple measurement rating (MMR) has replaced Average Yearly Progress (AYP) -- not sure what the MMR is!
It's the new "rating" that replaced the AYP when the state opted out of NCLB

Sorry, we have friends that are well placed in the Roseville district and even they have said they would never send their kids there...but whatever...

Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,132 times
Thank you both!

I know when a question is asked you are going to get many opinions… the good thing about this site (which I am new) is you get a lot of variety. In the end the person (OP) has to do the research. My thoughts… we are new to Minnesota and seeking any information to help us make an informed decision. Homes, schools, sports, and just fun things to do.

We have children ages 10, 4, 2, and 8 months, so we know that schooling is very important. Although my father’s family is from Chisholm (Iron Range) I did not get the opportunity to grow up here. Not by choice… I grew up in Florida due to my dad’s job with the government. My wife grew up in California, so as I see it… anything here in Minnesota has to be better when it comes to schools? Although we as taxpayers help fund the public schools… is it not the parents responsibility to make sure and follow up with the studies? True we put everything on the teacher, and school, but I feel it also is the parent’s obligation to make sure everything is in order. If we do this, then hopefully the child will be a success in the school system. Of course you both, I assume, grew up in Minnesota, so know things much better then I, so I want to learn more.

Right now my two boys 10 & 4 are really into HOCKEY (a new religion from what I can tell) so #1 hockey, #2 baseball and #3 right now is football. When we went to a hockey game in WBL we saw the little charming town. The ice arena was nice too. Since I (we) are still learning the towns/areas and were they are located to things… we are seeking as much help as possible. We have season tickets to the Wild games, and when we are down in St. Paul, we like the things that are offered there, but not sure about any homes around there? Our relator has stated that Highland and St. Anthony are nice places to live??? When we looked on the Internet we found a few homes that looked nice… Little Canada and Vadnais Heights, but the both of you did not talk about that area? Any thoughts on Cottage Grove?

An 8 mile radius of the job in Maplewood (Maryland Ave) would be nice… also do some work at St. Johns Hospital. This is where we are not decided… ADHD/OCD whatever you might call it. We both like the idea of have a .50 or bigger yard, but then we love the charm of the older homes that I guess you find in St. Paul area? Then put in parks, shopping, and fun things to do. I know… you usually can’t have all things in one are, or can you? Okay here are some things for us to consider….

1. Schools
2. Sports
3. Community/Neighborhoods
4. Church

Sorry this is too long… but truly appreciate your thoughts/opinions and help

Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM

I still say Mahtomedi or the Mounds View School district. New Brighton might be a good fit if you want older houses with a bigger yard.

Cottage Grove to where your job is would probably be the worst commute possible in the metro because of the road situation coming out of CG. Also, it's really not the best schools. There are so many more options that you don't need to force that commute on yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul