Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM

422 posts, read 574,996 times

Advertisements

We have 2 kids. One of them will be 2 next month, and the other will be 6 in June. My Wife hasn't worked since my youngest was born. Our plans are for her to go back to work in a few years when our youngest is in all-day K. She would still only be able to work for 5-6 hours a day when you factor in drive time.

I am wondering if there is anything legit that she can do from home, besides the obvious child care idea. We just don't have it in us to have a daycare in our house. She went to the Aveda Institute for hair, but doesn't really want to do hair from home. She would possibly pick up 1 or 2 kids to watch, but that would be chump change and not an actual income. I can more than pay the bills myself, but I want to pay my 30 year mortgage off in 15, so any money she makes would go to double mortgage payments. Not a necessity, but the sooner I pay my house off the more money I can save for retirement and my kids` futures. Just wondering if there is anything we haven't considered here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Not really...most of the work from home jobs you see advertised are scams or people work from home with a company that they have worked in the office with. A lot of people will say medical transcription and such but those jobs are hard to come by and getting harder with computerize medical records. She would need a license to legally work from home cutting hair--but that doesn't mean a lot of people don't do that without one.

Your kids are only little once...why the rush?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
But according to consumer programs on TV, there are some jobs, like call center jobs, people can do as a part-timer from home. Wish I could remember the website that certified which offers were legit and which weren't. I guess if you find one, you could google the company and scam, to see if the FTC is investigating a company. In fact, it might BE the FTC that has the website on these matters. I just know there are legitimate offers, but they are hugely outnumbered by the scams. One tip: DON'T send in money if it is demanded. That is almost certainly a scam. And such things are based in places where the government can't touch them, so you have to be your own guard dog here.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,269 times
Not every work from home job is a scam there are plenty of jobs out there (see below) the question you need to ask is if it's going to be quiet enough for your wife to work from home and watch kids as most work from home jobs involve phone work, here are some legitimate companies to check out on the internet:

Teach For America (administrative remote positions)
LiveOP (taking incoming calls for companies)
Salesroads (generating leads and setting appointments)
Brightencommunications (same as above)
ArRecovery (patient billing calls)
Telereach (appointment setting/sales) offers some full-time employment with benefits
Programmingfromhome (telecommuting for programmers)
U-Haul (answering calls) full-time offered
BalanceYourBooks (bookeeping, appointment setting, sales)
VirtualVocations (telecommuting database for various industries)

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Copied from a website:

Quote:
You know you're about to get caught up in a Home Based Business Scams by a work-at-home and the question is when...
Here is how you can avoid Home Based Business Scams
  • The very first line in a Home Based Business Scams website states you can make hundreds of dollars a week working from home. Is this realistically possible? Many Home Based Business Scams site you need to avoid.
  • There is no experience needed. Which actually is a lie and can be one of many.
  • You can work just a few hours a week and still make a bundle of money. Have they given any proof in the site? Watch out this site too can be one of many Home Based Business Scams. There are lots of CAPITALIZATION’S AND!!!!!! Used.
  • You read an extremely vague ad. You haven’t a clue what the business is about, but boy, could you be making the bucks. Read through the lines and the fine print you will surely realize this is one among many sites promoting Home Based Business Scams.
  • You're asked to call 900# for more information.
  • For a fee, a company will send you a list of businesses that are looking for home workers.
  • You are forced to make a decision immediately and are made to feel stupid if you say no to their offer.
  • A friend, relative, acquaintance tells you to come to a meeting at their house. They can’t tell you what it's about until you get there.
FTC page:http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ome-businesses

Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
Not every work from home job is a scam there are plenty of jobs out there (see below) the question you need to ask is if it's going to be quiet enough for your wife to work from home and watch kids as most work from home jobs involve phone work, here are some legitimate companies to check out on the internet:

Teach For America (administrative remote positions)
LiveOP (taking incoming calls for companies)
Salesroads (generating leads and setting appointments)
Brightencommunications (same as above)
ArRecovery (patient billing calls)
Telereach (appointment setting/sales) offers some full-time employment with benefits
Programmingfromhome (telecommuting for programmers)
U-Haul (answering calls) full-time offered
BalanceYourBooks (bookeeping, appointment setting, sales)
VirtualVocations (telecommuting database for various industries)

Good luck with your search.
Problem with these are you usually have to commit so many hours each week at times they specify and you can't have kids at home making noise while you are doing these calls. Maybe she should work a retail job in the evenings or weekends while the OP is home with the kids?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Or maybe start an eBay business? Much more control over time put in. Not exactly the same thing, but I worked with a guy who went to estate sales and garage sales, picking up stuff he could sell online for a profit. And my sister had a stepson that did something similar with something that required him to be a wonk in some area. I have to ask her what exactly this kid did in his spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul