Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times

Advertisements

Apparently downtown minneapolis is adding more luxury residential towers. How would you describe the downtown lifestyle? What do you like about it, that you think it's worth spending that much living downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I don't live downtown, but I spend quite a bit of time there. There are still some "affordable" apartments downtown, too -- or at least older apartments that don't cost as much as the new luxury places. We were considering some of those places at one point. For us, it was still a better choice to be in Uptown as there are more amenities and things we do in this area, but for many the downtown location would be idea. If you work downtown, it would be great to easily walk to work. Or, for that matter, if you worked in a different part of the Twin Cities and wanted to live in the city but take public transportation to work -- since so many bus and all the train routes stop/end downtown, it would be easy to do a reverse commute (I have met people who work at the airport and live downtown near the river and the Metrodome LRT stop; it's an easy, direct shot to the airport for them). And if you are a regular at Twins games or at the many theaters along Hennepin. I also think that if I were a retiree or still a stay-at-home parent with a little kid, it would be wonderful to have easy access to the skyway system during the winter; how easy to just walk out of your apartment and connect into an inside system to be able to get to shopping, to get to the Y, to the library (well, close to the library), and just to have a chance to be out walking around without having to worry so much about icy streets and subzero weather.

Mostly, though, I think the people who are going to enjoy the absolute best experience living downtown are those who also work downtown. It is awesome to be able to walk to work.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:41 PM

464 posts, read 803,515 times
A relative of mine used to live in one of the apartment towers that is connected to the skyway system, and worked downtown in another building seven blocks away also connected by skyways. She was able to stay indoors for days at a time if she wanted to (and would, in the winter or the hottest parts of summer).

Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
I used to live in an older apt downtown. The location was great. The access to skyways meant I could walk in winter to Target to get groceries. It was easy to go to Twins, Vikings, or TWolves games. The Walker and Guthrie are right there. You can walk to work if your job is downtown. You have access to the bike trail network at both the river and the Walker. Anytime there is fireworks or parades you are right in the middle of it (I saw this as a plus, but I'm sure some people don't like that). The light rail is right there and takes just a few minutes longer than driving to the airport, without having to pay for parking. Primarily I didn't work downtown, but I was always reverse commuting against traffic. Even though my work usually wasn't downtown, that was the most common place for people to suggest to meet for dinner or drinks after work. The biggest plus for me was access to so many restaurants and bars all within walking distance.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:14 PM

49 posts, read 79,388 times
I live in the north loop and reverse commute out to the suburbs. I think what I like most is that I can walk or bike to so many places that I am able to be a lot more physically active. I enjoy the wide variety of bars, restaurants, concerts, shows, etc. that are accessible on foot or bike, or even a short bus ride. I like that I can walk to Whole Foods to do my grocery shopping. When the weather gets warmer I like to be able to head down to the riverfront to jog, bike, or even take a leisurely stroll. I also think the view of downtown from the Stone Arch bridge is just fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul