Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,571 times

Advertisements

We are looking in fast-moving areas (Highland Park area of St. Paul, Edina, St. Louis Park), and I am wondering how common it is to have a realtor ask you to sign an exclusive buyer's agreement for 6 months. I have asked friends and family who have bought recently, and most have not done that. I am wondering if it is more common in certain markets, or what the main watch-outs should be in such a contracts (eg, ease of getting out of the contract if circumstances change). Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
No, not common but not unheard of either. I wouldn't sign one, especially for 6 months.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM

413 posts, read 764,257 times
Don't sign. Most realtors won't ask this.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
I looked in SLP and had realtors request that I do so.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM

53 posts, read 95,105 times
if a realtor has to do this, I question how good they are...

Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhelm View Post
if a realtor has to do this, I question how good they are...
I could see it go both ways that they are excellent realtors and put a lot of time and effort into the process or they aren't very good and need to hang on to their clients. I have heard from a few realtor friends where they will spend a lot of time with clients, especially higher end clients and when it comes to making an offer they have a friend or relative step in and do the actual sale--and get the commission. I still wouldn't sign an agreement either way though.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I could see it go both ways that they are excellent realtors and put a lot of time and effort into the process or they aren't very good and need to hang on to their clients. I have heard from a few realtor friends where they will spend a lot of time with clients, especially higher end clients and when it comes to making an offer they have a friend or relative step in and do the actual sale--and get the commission. I still wouldn't sign an agreement either way though.
Doesn't seller pay commission, not the buyer? That is how it was when we have bought (and sold and bought again).

Old 04-10-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Doesn't seller pay commission, not the buyer? That is how it was when we have bought (and sold and bought again).
Yes, but only if someone buys the house

Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM

74 posts, read 90,052 times
Default exclusive right to represent buyer-why it's a good idea

For most buyers it is in their best interest to sign an exclusive buyer agreement. It protects you because without it signed the Realtor that you are talking to can share your price, terms, motivation with the seller or the listing agent

If signing a 6 month agreement is to much of a commitment- change the term to 3 months -the start and end dates are filled in by the Realtor.

I always ask my buyers to sign an agency disclosure statement(explains the different types of agency relationships), and an exclusive buyer agent agreement. If they don't like me or want to hire another agent they simply need to tell me or my broker and the agreement is terminated.

Here are the most common types of Agency-(without that form signed ,your agent may be acting like a buyers agent but in fact is not and cannot perform 100% for you.

Sellers Agent

The name should tip you off that this is not the type of relationship you want with your REALTOR when buying a home.

Dual Agent

A dual agent attempts to represent both the seller and the buyer, or attempts to represent the buyer while another agent licensed to the same broker represents the seller.

Common sense suggests that having a single agent or agency represent opposing interests can bring trouble. Making things worse for home buyers, the law of agency , licensing laws and the REALTOR code of ethics put the dual agent's fiduciary duties legally and ethically with the seller. And that's just one reason home buyers should beware dual agency.

Almost all agents work this way and unless a real estate agency advertises that it is one of the few that represents home buyers exclusively, you're safest if you assume it is a dual agency.

Two of the five options described by the Minnesota Associations of REALTORS could, more or less, fall into the dual agent category: A "subagent" works with a buyer but, as far as the law is concerned, represents the seller. A "facilitator" might work with both seller and buyer on a real estate transaction, but remains aloof from fiduciary representation.

Buyers Agent

Because buyers agents act solely for the interests for the buyer, this is clearly the type of relationship you'd want when buying a home.

Making things even less complicated, a few agencies have gone the next step. They reassure, providing full representation to the interests of the home buyer by working as exclusive buyer agents and never listing homes for sale.

This the type of REALTOR home buyers will want to seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 AM

413 posts, read 764,257 times
I think part of it depends as well on if you are selling a house and looking to buy at the same time. When we bought our first house, we had a buyers agent. She was a family friend I'd known for years - she did nothing to find the house for us, but the seller and her agent were scumbags who tried to pull a fast one at closing (we were young and naive) and our agent really went to bat for us.

When we sold our next two houses, our buyers agent was also our selling agent, so they were already helping us with our sales, so the situation was a little different. We weren't asked to sign an exclusive buyers agreement since we were already in business with the agent to sell our existing property.

We dealt with the dual agent situation when we bought our cabin. We did not hire a buyers agent, and allowed the listing agent to represent both parties, knowing that her main priority was to the seller. I was fine with that because we weren't in a position where we had to make a purchase, and every demand we made was accepted by the seller. Had there been any serious pushback from the seller, we'd have just walked away, and they knew it, so it worked out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul