Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,596 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of attending the Institute of Production and Recording (IPR) in Minneapolis. I would to hear opinions about their audio production and engineering program, internships and job placement assistance. I am also interested in McNally Smith College of Music and how their program compares to IPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
I've never heard of IPR, and I know that McNally Smith is quite a $pendy $chool to be earning an associate's degree.

I tend to have a fair amount of distrust for schools that cater to very niche fields that are very popular with younger people- I think many people go to these institutions as it's what their interested in/ want to do but come away with a lot of loan debt and not a lot of job prospects. The question you'll want to ask yourself is - do you think that there are a lot of jobs out there in this field? I personally haven't seen much/ any job postings for this type of work and I have several years exp. as an employment placement professional in the past. My impression is that of the persons in this field that are technically trained, either through formal schooling or informally, only a small percentage of the best and the brightest in the field actually become employed in the industry, and this may be after years of trying- in my opinion, it's a gamble to be paying/ taking out loans for vasts amounts of money for this type of education if none of the skills/ education you receive transfer to other industries.

I would advise giving additional thought to attending a traditional college/ university for music, music performance, music business, and/or some type of related engineering, but maybe others will pipe up about these schools...

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 12-09-2007 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 PM

175 posts, read 731,169 times
You will probably get a good education, however at a big price. You may succeed with your degree or you may end up in retail working the counter at Guitar Center. Jobs in music are always a gamble. I wouldn't believe the claims for job placement tho. You will most likely have to hustle and make all of your own connections / networking.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,266 times
well...i don't know a ton.
but i have heard that mcnally puts alot more attention on their music performance students and doesn't put as much into the business and production students. and are not very helpful when it comes to finding employement afterwards. you are kind of on your own.

also, i know quite a few people in the industry...and most of them say that going to school for that is a waste of time. that industry is all about who you know, connections, and real experience. someone even told me they laugh at people who come into their production company fresh out of school looking for a job thinking they know so much...when they don't. i mean the school can be somewhere to start to help you get those things...but if you have other options i would persue those first.

also i know alot of people who have gone to school for that...spent so much money and can't find jobs....probly because of what i said above.

just know it's risky, and it's not gonna be any cake walk.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,803 times
I've been through the IPR program, email me with your questions. I loved the program, I researched audio schools for many years before deciding on IPR, and I appreciated the fact that my admissions rep. gave me a realistic look at the types of jobs I might see in the industry. The job placement program worked well for me too. But, I have to add that I was a very hard working student, and I earned a few important awards upon graduation. You can't enter a program like this because you want to be a rock star or you think your beats are going to carry you to success. You have to be serious about this and only go into it because it's your life's passion. Otherwise, it won't be worth it to you.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,369 times
Hi there, i have a 2 short questions . When you were attending IPR, how many students would you say were attending each year? Also, was the area a place with many distractions? I am ecstatic that there is a school that understands the passion, but also has a strict curriculum. I can't wait.

Thankyou,
Niana Dela Cruz

Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,336 times
cbgroves2000> Just messenged you.

I'm also thinking about IPR for their audio recording / post production / mixing and mastering classes. I'd really like to do some recording in the studio but also want to venture into the post production as far as soundtracks for movies, tv, etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on IPR? What did you not get out of the school that you wish you could have?

Thankz!

-Aaron

Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,055 times
does anyone know if IPR will do a free studio recording of a band under any circumstances?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,427 times
I think they or McNally Smith are always looking for bands to record for school projects, and yes it's free. Or what you could do is call and ask to put up a flier on campus for students to see, saying that you want to be recorded.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgroves2000 View Post
I've been through the IPR program, email me with your questions. I loved the program, I researched audio schools for many years before deciding on IPR, and I appreciated the fact that my admissions rep. gave me a realistic look at the types of jobs I might see in the industry. The job placement program worked well for me too. But, I have to add that I was a very hard working student, and I earned a few important awards upon graduation. You can't enter a program like this because you want to be a rock star or you think your beats are going to carry you to success. You have to be serious about this and only go into it because it's your life's passion. Otherwise, it won't be worth it to you.

I Have A Few Questions For You Due To My Interest In IPR And The Outcome Of Graduation.
I Dont Really Understand This Site So If Possible, Please E-mail Me At [EMAIL="anthonythomas58@yahoo.com"]anthonythomas58@yahoo.com[/EMAIL].
Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul