Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 05:10 PM

604 posts, read 934,752 times

Advertisements

As a school Bus Driver in the suburbs I am amazed at the number of motorists who seem confused about what to do when you see school bus lights flashing. There are several sets of lights on a bus. Let me be of help. Here's some scenarios:

A) You see a bus parked alongside a road or street and their hazard lights are flashing. I'm talking about the same lights that flash for turn signals. In the front near the head lamps, in the rear near the brake lights. This does not require a stop. Be cautious. Chances are the bus driver is "staging" or preparing to begin a route in the neighborhood. The driver might also have pulled over with his/her load of children for disciplinary reasons (this happens regularly). I often see cars stop behind a bus when they see these hazard lights flashing. This creates yet another hazard so DON'T STOP!

B) You're driving on a street or highway and you see the Amber lights on the top of the bus flashing and the bus is slowing. PREPARE TO STOP. This is the bus driver signaling he/she is about to stop to pickup or drop off students. If you are following the bus just slow down and prepare to stop. Don't speed up to pass before the stop-arm and red lights flash. I can't tell you the number of times vehicles speed up only to pass the bus as the stop arm is coming out. What's the hurry. SLOW DOWN as the bus slows down. STOP WHEN THE BUS STOPS and extends the stop arm and red lights flash.

C) You're driving on a street or highway that has a center divider (whether a physical divider or sets of yellow lines that indicate a large space just as there might be with a physical divider). If you are coming from the opposite direction as the bus, you do not have to stop when the red lights flash and the stop arm is extended. This would also be the case on a boulevard. You only attend to the stop if you are on the same side as the bus.

I have a 16- year old daughter who got her driver's license a few months ago. Both she and I are convinced that a large majority of licensed motorists could not pass the driving test she had to take. Ignorance of school bus rules, failing to stop BEHIND stop signs (not at the cross walks that may be at a stop signed intersection), failing to turn from a turn lane to the proper lane...failure to make proper right hand turns.

And finally---HANG UP AND DRIVE....put the cell phone away while your behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul