Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,449,469 times

Advertisements

Architect of new, mile-long Nicollet Mall envisions a 'woodsy' feel | Star Tribune

Quote:
For Nicollet Mall — renamed “Nicollet Mile” — New York Landscape Architect James Corner envisions a “woodsy” promenade where Minneapolitans will live, work, shop and play.

As Corner explains it, the mall’s new curbless thoroughfare will retain its signature serpentine curves, the brainchild of original landscape architect Lawrence Halprin in 1962. The last significant renovation to the mall was about 25 years ago, and Corner says its current iteration lacks identity, is deteriorating and appears cluttered. “It’s an uninviting space,” he said.

His plan for the stretch connecting Grant Street with Washington Avenue divides the mall into distinct districts: Loring Woods, South Groves, Island, North Groves and Mississippi Woods. The project does not include Peavey Plaza.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Looks nice, but if they're really thinking of birch trees, they should do some research before planting. Some species of birch are very sensitive to salt, and those trees are going to get a lot of it.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,449,469 times
It looks like an outdoors Caribou Coffee. Can we please move on from the cabin theme? We need something more sophisticated that shows that MSP can be a world class city.

Why can't we get a local designer to do it? That would certainly be better than hiring someone from New York who thinks of the Twin Cities as a tiny town in the woods.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,046,504 times
That designer did a great job with the High Line in Manhattan, though. To me it looks more like the street level "beaches" NYC has put up in Manhattan with the High Line "urban nature" theme. Given what normally gets built in MPLS I would vote for local designers banned from all further architecture and landscape input. Every new building put up in the past 10 years looks like U housing from the late 1990s. That awful prefab "loft" theme with beige brick and tin is tired and makes all these new apartments look dated by the time they are finished.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Ha! it's only .8 miles from Washington to 12th Street...somebody contact Snopes!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,345,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Looks nice, but if they're really thinking of birch trees, they should do some research before planting. Some species of birch are very sensitive to salt, and those trees are going to get a lot of it.
When they updated the Nicollet Mall in the early '90s, there was a tree controversy with that renovation. I remember they had Austrian fir trees or something like that in front of Gavidae Common. Unfortunately, these trees also weren't suitable for an urban core location and they all died off. I'm assuming (hoping, anyway) that the landscape architect who designed the current version is well versed in urban trees.
If that fails, maybe they could bring back the aluminum trees someone proposed for Hennepin Avenue back in the late '70s.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,942,777 times
What a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 PM

182 posts, read 297,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
That's your opinion. The businesses that are located on Nicollet Mall and the residents who live downtown don't share that opinion.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,807,543 times
No. Fail. Deny.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
One of the things I loved about Minnesota (and miss a great deal now that I'm living in Kentucky) is that the state, local, and county governments were willing to spend significant tax revenues on quality of life features such as arts, culture, and parks and recreation. Now I live in a comparative craphole where they don't even spend money on street signs, apparently because they figure that if you don't know what street you're on, you wouldn't have turned onto it in the first place, and anyone who's stupid enough to drive on a street they don't even know the name of probably deserves to get lost and eaten by vultures anyway. Or maybe because they figure it's a waste of money because nobody here knows how to read in the first place, because they don't spend more than about a buck and a quarter on education, either.

At any rate, I prefer the Minnesota-Twin Cities philosophy by a wide margin. If you're going to live someplace, I'd like my elected leaders to spend a little money to make it a place that's actually worth living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul