Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,240 times

Advertisements

How bad is the crime in this area currently? There's been some gentrification going on in the area. Is it successful? I'm looking at an apartment within a block of that intersection and friends are warning me against it.

Do cars parked on the street still get broken into? There are new apartments and condos right there, and new shops like CVS and the StarBucks building.

Would really appreciate your insights. How can I check on the crime in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
I was actually looking into getting an apartment in that area before I decided to go nuts and buy a house. Also, my brother and his girlfriend were extremely close to buying a condo a few blocks south of that intersection. It's an excellent location just blocks away from eat street and I haven't heard anything that would bring me to the conclusion that the area was unsafe.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks, Slig.

It used to be known for being a really bad, dangerous area. If it's not, the reputation seems to be sticking.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM

120 posts, read 470,825 times
Default My sister has lived a block away from there for 1 1/2 years.

She has never spoke of any problems there. I was there visiting last summer and I can't believe the changes for the positive since I lived in Mpls 10 years ago!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
How bad is the crime in this area currently? There's been some gentrification going on in the area. Is it successful? I'm looking at an apartment within a block of that intersection and friends are warning me against it.

Do cars parked on the street still get broken into? There are new apartments and condos right there, and new shops like CVS and the StarBucks building.

Would really appreciate your insights. How can I check on the crime in that area?
Go to Mpls PD's website. They've got crime stats that can lend to at least a comparison of other areas in Mpls. (I know there are opinions on the validity of those stats, but at least they serve as an idea.)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I lived sort of close to that intersection on 25th and 1st and I will say that it is far from being gentrified, although it has improved over the years. Unfortunately, the area is still hot for car thievery.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
I used to hang out in this neighborhood on an almost daily basis when it was significantly worse. I think the worst thing that happened was getting harassed by bums at the now torn down Super America (R.I.P.). I wouldnt overlook renting in the area.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
I rented in that area for six years--1706 Stevens, to be exact. Parking is tough; off-street spots are around $50 a month, if you can get one, but rents are decent. There's more home ownership than it appears over there at a glance due to some of the brownstones being condos. Also, the landlords who own most of the buildings are decent enough.

I liked it for the most part, once I got a parking space, but there were some bums and weirdos wandering around, and I did have two car break-ins.

One, I didn't know why--I mean, there was nothing in that car to steal--until I couldn't find my wallet anywhere. I must have left it on the seat. There was a $10 bill in there, my license, and little else. Oops.

The second time, I accidentally left my car stereo face on the stereo, and the jerk stole my Alpine MP3-CD player and dumped the contents of the glove box all over looking for God knows, but there was nothing else of any value in there. (Insurance took care of the window, and I put my factory CD player back in there and did without MP3s until I sold that car.)

It's an OK area if you have some street-smarts and keep valuables out of sight when you park the car. (And don't bother having a nice car there--your bumpers will get tapped every day by less experienced or less careful parallel parkers if you rely on on-street parking. Plus, it's not a status area, so something basic-but-reliable like a used Corolla or Buick is looked upon with more favor than a BMW anyhow.)

It's not great, but it's far from horrible if you're single and just starting out on your own. Its main attributes are that it's very close to downtown, and it's affordable.

EDIT: I just realized who I'm replying to, and I don't think you'll be happier there than in Loring. You might as well stay where you are. You'll hear the station 6 fire sirens all night long, just like you do in Loring.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 04-03-2008 at 03:24 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Unfortunately, I hemmed and hawed too long on the apartment I was looking at in that area and lost it. I wanted to look at one other one that was promising but apparently it was too much to ask. I remember the days when landlords would let you put a 24 hour hold on a place. I could have done that with this place, but the $200 would have been non-refundable if I decided against it. That, to me, is not, then, a 24-hour hold.

I hate the city. One more year. Just one more year and I can get out.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
so move out of it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul