Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicK Thomas View Post
Hello guys thanks for the replies I looked at the north loop online, how can i tell what apartments or housing is in the north loop neighborhood? Is there a certain tap i should click on to tell what neighborhoods are avaliable? Also are there rental assistance programs in Minneapolis that will help me with the first month rent and deposit of a place?
There's no rental assistance here (with perhaps an exception for the very poor or recent immigrants).

In general, the North Loop will be out if your price range. There are a FEW places that are under $1200/month, but they either get immediately snapped up or they're just not nice for the price you're paying.

For under $1200, you could get a pretty nice place in the Uptown area that has plenty of nightlife and decent transit (probably better than the North Loop).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Check padmapper (pulls from craigslist and shows listings on a map, which as a fellow newcomer I found very helpful)-- Padmapper seemingly doesn't successfully pull ALL of the listings from Craigslist, so I'd advise checking Craigslist, too. Another option is Trulia-- it also shows listings on a map but, unlike Craigslist, almost all of the properties are listed by realtors (which tend to have stricter guidelines-- income, credit, etc) than many private owners.

If the deposit is an issue, I believe that apartment complexes (at least out in the suburbs) often have much lower deposits required than private homes-- usually $500 or so as a deposit (that could have been an anomaly, I wasn't looking for apartments at ALL so I only stumbled upon one or two listings but did notice the lower deposits-- so not sure if that's the case everywhere or only with the two that I saw). Almost every private home that I considered required a month's deposit up front.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
You fit the profile for downtown living. I will say though there are more dudes than women downtown. Though there are definitely women there.

We just moved out of downtown and for a single person it's a great place! Maybe a little pricey but I'm sure you could find something for $1200. Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
If the deposit is an issue, I believe that apartment complexes (at least out in the suburbs) often have much lower deposits required than private homes-- usually $500 or so as a deposit (that could have been an anomaly, I wasn't looking for apartments at ALL so I only stumbled upon one or two listings but did notice the lower deposits-- so not sure if that's the case everywhere or only with the two that I saw). Almost every private home that I considered required a month's deposit up front.
I think that is true in the city, too, or at least we did notice that frequently for the larger, newer apartment buildings. We didn't go that route, but when casually looking I was surprised at how low -- $300, even -- the deposit sometimes was on relatively expensive apartments.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think that is true in the city, too, or at least we did notice that frequently for the larger, newer apartment buildings. We didn't go that route, but when casually looking I was surprised at how low -- $300, even -- the deposit sometimes was on relatively expensive apartments.
I have been surprised by this too, as the expensive places have fairly low deposits, but high rents. I assume this is because they can weed out potential problem tenants much easier than more affordable places.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

242 posts, read 854,395 times
I also have a degree in communications but I'm public relations and not marketing. I haven't worked in my field yet! However, I have a great job in Bloomington and they've put me on a ton of projects that allow me to use my PR skills. I live in the Lyndale neighborhood of SW Minneapolis and absolutely love it. It's quiet and I feel safe walking around my neighborhood. I'm just a few blocks off of Lyndale Avenue and I spent my day wandering up and down the street for the Open Minneapolis event. I just relocated back to Minnesota after being gone for 7 years and know about 5 people here and 3 of them are family. I have found people to be incredibly friendly. While standing in line for a cocktail this afternoon I talked to no less than 6 different people about any number of things. I've found people to be really helpful when I mention that I'm new to the area, they're so quick to find out a favorite place to go or some secret hotspot. I live really close to a few bus stops and I'm just down the street from Lynn-Lake and Uptown. I have no idea where the light rail is.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM

33 posts, read 51,413 times
That's cool I can't wait to visit Minneapolis and try to find me a good job to start my career. I do have a sister that lives up there and I have made 2 friends online using facebook. But other than that I don't know anyone else im sure ill meet quite a few interesting people and can't wait to come up there. I definetly want to get on the light rail and try to explore some of the city that way and see how interesting it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul