Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM

369 posts, read 633,651 times

Advertisements

I'm also not sure you can start the U of M while simultaneously getting residency status. Usually you have to live in the state for a year, and then apply as an in-state student. Otherwise every out-of-state student would apply to be an in-state student after one year. Make sure she checks on that... I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 88,842 times
Thanks for the answer. Well, she would have paid non-resident tuition this year if she hadn't received a scholarship that's basically given her the resident tuition rate. Of course, not every out-of-state student can successfully apply to be an in-state student after one year, especially if they still return to their home state during the holidays, live on property that belongs to the school, don't register for an ID/driver's license in the school's state, etc. The school board would use that as evidence against their application. However, if they don't do such, then they are likely to apply successfully. Pretty much every state university has a policy stating that they can.
Also, thanks for pointing out the hotel rates. She did some browsing on the Web and just wanted to explore all her options.
I have seen many of the studio apartments. They're not right on campus, like you say, but they're not too far and seem not a bit unsafe.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM

49 posts, read 79,388 times
It might be worth it for her to make an apartment-hunting trip this summer. I know people that live in decent 1BR apartments near campus for less than $1000/month (~$800/month or so).

Old 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Honestly, as a U of M alum myself, I really think she should consider living in a residence hall for at least the first year, and then see from there. I understand concerns about space and privacy; I had those too. But living in a res hall as a freshman just makes for a better introduction to the college experience, IMO, and is a great way to make friends and meet people. Plus there are single rooms available in some halls.

There are plenty of nice apartments around the U nowadays, but they're expensive. It's not like college towns where you have a lot of cheap housing right by campus (well, there is some, but it tends to be run-down).
Thanks for your suggestion. I have checked the school's housing options myself (I'm asking for a relative) and have noticed that many of the halls offer single rooms and/or suites with semi-private bathrooms. Yes, I have noticed that there are many "luxury" apartments that are almost on campus and that are ridiculously expensive. However, I've also found appropriate places that are not near the campus but not too far.
Honestly, this relative of mine is a foreigner, and her version of college experience pretty much excludes what you described. Anything else besides getting good grades is rubbish to her. She sees the social experience in college as a distraction. I don't mean to offend, but that's how she is.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 14,868 times
I'm an incoming U of M dental student. From my extensive research, it is very difficult to meet the U's definition of residency if you're an out of state student (OOS). It is next to impossible to convert residency for the purposes of tuition.

"If a student from another state moves to Minnesota and attends a post-secondary institution within the
first calendar year before attending the University, that student shall be classified as a nonresident and will remain a nonresident throughout his or her presence as a student ".

"The University’s definition of the term “resident” may be different from the definitions developed by other, non-University, agencies. The University does not recognize declarations of resident status made by other agencies. Thus a person who is a Minnesota resident for tax or voting purposes, for example, is not necessarily a resident for University of Minnesota tuition and admission purposes ".

Therefore, just because you're able to convince the state you're a MN resident, it doesn't necessarily mean the U will consider you an instate student for the purposes of tuition. However, there are exemptions that will allow you to be charged instate tuition. All the information I described can be obtained from the source below.

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/Re...eciprocity.pdf

Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
I just mentioned in another thread about the place I'm living now and the 'relatively' cheap rent. Roughly two years ago, I paid $800 for a 1 bedroom on the fringe of the West Bank part of campus. Most apartments on campus are quite new and will charge over $1k/month. There are occasional discounts such as 1 month free rent at those places, however.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy17 View Post
I'm an incoming U of M dental student. From my extensive research, it is very difficult to meet the U's definition of residency if you're an out of state student (OOS). It is next to impossible to convert residency for the purposes of tuition.

"If a student from another state moves to Minnesota and attends a post-secondary institution within the
first calendar year before attending the University, that student shall be classified as a nonresident and will remain a nonresident throughout his or her presence as a student ".

"The University’s definition of the term “resident” may be different from the definitions developed by other, non-University, agencies. The University does not recognize declarations of resident status made by other agencies. Thus a person who is a Minnesota resident for tax or voting purposes, for example, is not necessarily a resident for University of Minnesota tuition and admission purposes ".

Therefore, just because you're able to convince the state you're a MN resident, it doesn't necessarily mean the U will consider you an instate student for the purposes of tuition. However, there are exemptions that will allow you to be charged instate tuition. All the information I described can be obtained from the source below.

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/Re...eciprocity.pdf
Thanks for your two cents. I'm asking for a relative of mine, actually. She has just graduated high school this summer and won't attend any college/university before going to UMN. She and I myself have read that document. There is a section in there that states if a student attends only UMN upon arriving in MN and fulfills several other requirements, then after a year, he/she is allowed to apply for residency status. It doesn't imply surefire success, but that is still likely. Pretty much every other state university (as I know personally), including Maryland and Washington, has similar policies. My parents went to school with some people who did the same and succeeded. Besides, the whole residency thing isn't a big issue, since she has the scholarship that basically gives her the resident tuition rate for four years.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I just mentioned in another thread about the place I'm living now and the 'relatively' cheap rent. Roughly two years ago, I paid $800 for a 1 bedroom on the fringe of the West Bank part of campus. Most apartments on campus are quite new and will charge over $1k/month. There are occasional discounts such as 1 month free rent at those places, however.
Yep, have seen those on-campus apartments and their rates. I think the rates are so because all the units are meant for more than 1 occupant.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM

335 posts, read 406,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Average rent in MPLS is now over $1000/m. Might as well go for something nice and on campus. Especially since the OP was seriously entertaining the idea of a year in an extended stay hotel.
that's a fair point

Old 06-12-2014, 05:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
It is not easy to get residency in MN for tuition. Yes, there is an application process but I would not plan on that happening. MN already has one of the lowest out of state tuition costs compared to other flagship universities nationally.

You can also research online and find that living on campus, especially freshman year, has a far greater success rate for on-time graduation and overall GPA. Also, the U of MN is HUGE and living off campus freshman year will seriously hamper her ability to make friends. Just some things for her to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul