Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 PM

199 posts, read 536,665 times

Advertisements

I know that Saint Paul in a tad safer then Minneapolis. I'm thinking, it could be the smaller population. It could also be how some crimes are classified. I looked at a few properties in Minneapolis, and Saint Paul. Per Zillow, Minneapolis was a lot more dangerous (at least the zip codes were) than Saint Paul. I live in a very small California city of 22K. Property, and domestic crimes rank highest here. Shootings are not common in the area. Per Sperling's Best Places, Minneapolis has a higher violent crime rate than Lennox, CA. The property crime rate is higher in Lennox; again, with a population of only 22K. With a lower violent crime rate, I still do not venture outside of my home after dark. So, this looks like comparing apples to oranges. The Census Bureau states the the population of Minneapolis is @ 400K. Bigger city, more crime reported. Per Neighborhood Scout, it looks like the outer edges of Minneapolis are safer. I'm just worried about being shot, or attacked while walking into my home from the garage. I may be worrying too much about this, but I like to be as safe as possible. I'm disabled, I can walk, but I can't run.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader

Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
I'm just worried about being shot, or attacked while walking into my home from the garage.
..........................................:rolleye s:

Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
It depends a lot on the neighborhood. My husband and I lived in Fulton from 1991 to 1997 and in Linden Hills from 1997 to 2014. Both of these are very safe neighborhoods, relatively speaking, yet we still a couple of brushes with crime. I felt safe there for the most part, we didn't really have to worry about huge amounts of graffiti, gang violence, or having a bullet come through the window while we were eating dinner (which has happened in some Minneapolis neighborhoods).

It's a big city so I did feel I needed to be cautious more than if we were living in a small town. I kept my doors locked all the time, never answered the door to someone I didn't know or wasn't expecting, kept the garage door closed, etc., just the normal precautionary things that become second nature when you live in a large metro area.

We had a separate garage on an alley when we lived in Fulton, and I never felt any concern going from the garage to the house even late at night. In Linden Hills we had an attached garage, which is my personal preference for reasons of both safety and convenience.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks irootoo,

I notice a lot of urban garages are in alleys. I'm from the 'burbs, where they're part of the house, or on the side. I've lived in Rochester, NY, a city that can be very dangerous, or relatively safe. I lived in one of the safer neighborhoods. It may be that safety depends on the Minneapolis neighborhood. Once I settle on a home, I'll check Spot Crime, and other crime-related sites, even the MSP police sites to try and assess the level of crime at the address. I make sure all of my doors are locked in the evening, add window bars, or 3M film, and I'm prepared to get an alarm company subscription. What worried me most are the shootings. Although irritating if stolen, cars can be replaced.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Yes people being shot at walking between the garage and house can be a nuisance. It's only happened to me a couple of times but I know several people who lived in Linden Hills and Edina who lost their lives this way. I'd really recommend getting a house with an attached garage for this reason, or otherwise digging a trench between your garage and home.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Are there houses with attached garages in Minnesota pete6032?

All of the garages I've seen, so far, in the MSP area have separate garages. I made contact with a broker in Minneapolis this morning. I'll ask for his property list.

Either this, or body armor, but the GOP says, "they have a right to own guns." I was amazed at all of the shootings in Rochester, NY when I lived there. One city is almost as dangerous as the other. I currently live in a fairly safe area, but I'm surrounded by high school dropouts, and those educated in Mexico--a very dumb population. Not many shootings here, just car theft, burglary, and domestic issues.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM

369 posts, read 633,651 times
Unless you live in North Minneapolis, I think the odds of you being randomly shot in your yard are pretty slim. And even then...

Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 PM

367 posts, read 545,766 times
Overall, Minneapolis is a safe city, but like in any other large metropolitan area, a little common sense goes a long way. This means that you should always be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts, walk in well-traveled, well-lighted areas instead of isolated spots late at night, try to travel with someone rather than alone, etc.

I would not let fear of personal safety stop you from moving to a fantastic city!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM

127 posts, read 214,011 times
I would've responded earlier, but was recovering from a gunshot wound at local hospital. I was also shot at parking my car when I got home, but luckily they missed. Otherwise, I love my neighborhood.

I've also been stabbed and in some ways prefer being shot. It is quicker and less intimate.

You are a complete idiot. Quit trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul