Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:59 PM

27 posts, read 69,593 times

Advertisements

I have repeatedly been surprised about how much the twin cities have the same feel as I recall San Francisco felt in the the late 70's-80's. People are mellow, there are many interesting things going on and there is easy access to lots of "culture" should one desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,207 times
The bike paths are great, probably the best I've seen anywhere in the USA.

The downtown is very 'dead' compared to other places I've lived, and even compared to itself 20 years ago.

A new micro brew tap room opens up seemingly every week.

Drivers are bad, but in a different way than most areas. Frustration occurs because someone is driving too slow in the left lane, slows down in the merge lane, or does not take their turn at a 4 way stop.

Nice rentals are surprisingly expensive, but there are many inexpensive homes available to buy.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
I'd say my biggest surprise after being gone for several years and out of touch due to a somewhat forced circumstance beyond my immediate control, was all the new furniture in the house in which I grew up in. It also surprised the new residents to find I was familar with the home's layout and resulted in new locks being installed not long after my release...err, I mean return.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd say my biggest surprise after being gone for several years and out of touch due to a somewhat forced circumstance beyond my immediate control, was all the new furniture in the house in which I grew up in. It also surprised the new residents to find I was familar with the home's layout and resulted in new locks being installed not long after my release...err, I mean return.
And Gary Cuozzo is no longer throwing incomplete passes in the direction of Dave Osborn any more.

I know--it takes some getting used to....

Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 PM

416 posts, read 560,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
What surprised me the most is how slow traffic moves. Drivers are definitely more "cautious" here compared to some of the larger markets that I've lived. The speed limits are usually slower as well. I've noticed a lot of people driving under the speed limit in the passing lanes. Merging is more difficult since people often don't slow down or speed up to let you in. And what's with all of the cloverleaf interchanges here? Talk about a dangerous design. Add the summer construction (169 being closed) and all of the freeways with only two lanes has made me very frustrated during my commute.
Bingo. My gf and I find this to be the most annoying thing living here since leaving L.A. We are used to driving *fast* and merging at faster speeds. Now I find myself driving slower in the passing lane as well since we are readjusting to every one else's speed and not wanting to attract police attention.

On the plus side it is SO nice to just drive the speed limit and enjoy the day without the manic, 75+mph stop and go craziness that is Los Angeles traffic where every day that you come home without being in an accident is considered a pretty good day.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 PM

171 posts, read 195,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Bingo. My gf and I find this to be the most annoying thing living here since leaving L.A. We are used to driving *fast* and merging at faster speeds. Now I find myself driving slower in the passing lane as well since we are readjusting to every one else's speed and not wanting to attract police attention.

On the plus side it is SO nice to just drive the speed limit and enjoy the day without the manic, 75+mph stop and go craziness that is Los Angeles traffic where every day that you come home without being in an accident is considered a pretty good day.
I bet your insurance costs are less here too.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 PM

416 posts, read 560,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
I bet your insurance costs are less here too.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 PM

29 posts, read 44,664 times
Coming from northern Minnesota I'm surprised how much milder the weather is (consistently 10 degrees warmer year round) and how fast the streets are plowed after heavy snowfall.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,207 times
Also, returning to MN after some time away, I am surprised that Uptown has turned "bro."

Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Also, returning to MN after some time away, I am surprised that Uptown has turned "bro."
most of what you say is now beginning to make sense to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul