Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,079 times

Advertisements

Just moved this last fall to downtown St. Paul with my husband and 2 kids (6 and 4). We are in heaven. The quality of life here is incredible. There are so many free or inexpensive activities (as well as top notch expensive ones too.) The "deadness" everyone speaks of means my kids can run and have fun (which we do) without bothering anyone and without me fearing I'll lose them (because I can always see them). We walk everywhere-we can choose indoors or outdoors. The buses to everywhere all come in front of our building. The dearth of fast food choices after 5pm and on weekends means we eat at home more and save money. The learning curve was steep, but 5 months later we are getting it down and we have no plans to leave. We had our single family home with a yard and big garage for over a decade. It was great, but apartment/condo living has its merits too. I actually started writing about it, I've been so gobsmacked that we seem to be the only ones. Welcome to the Skyway - Skyway Mom

I looked at Highland Park, Hamline-Midway and Mac-Groveland too for their high walk scores--but downtown has skyways, children's museums, science museums., libraries...if you move to another neighborhood, you just might move downtown when you have kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM

371 posts, read 555,919 times
Skyway Mom, I hope you keep blogging about your downtown experiences. You seem to have found a niche others haven't thought of in Skyway parenting.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 PM

442 posts, read 496,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
Skyway Mom, I hope you keep blogging about your downtown experiences. You seem to have found a niche others haven't thought of in Skyway parenting.
I agree!

We have often tossed around the idea of moving downtown. I work there, we love the offerings, etc.

But, with kids, it is a scary idea. My kids are bigger than yours, and I do like the idea of them being able to walk out my front door and play in the yard or go down the street to play in a friend's yard, without me needing to be present. If I could get over that, I would probably be joining you

Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,079 times
I totally understand - I was worried about the same things. You should visit a few places downtown though. Our apartment building has a private, fenced in courtyard the kids can play in. There are 3 parks 2 blocks or less from our apartment building (Mears Park, Wacouta Commons, and the toddler park by Union Depot). Instead of going down the street, they go down the hall to play at a friends house. There is a game room here with ping pong and foosball tables, plus an indoor swimming pool. Plus it's a completely cement encased building which make noise transmission near zero. We'd love to have more families around to share it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul