Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 PM

413 posts, read 789,481 times

Advertisements

I did a search of previous posts on this forum, as well as Google in general but haven't found an answer to my question. What are the laws and the building code like for wood burning fireplaces in the Twin Cities?

Can you build a new home with a wood burning fireplace? What about an apartment? Is the law or code different in the suburbs than in the Twin Cities proper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:16 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
When we were looking to move within the Twin Cities in mid-2009, we were considering much of the east metro initially. By the time building became a consideration (early 2010), our relator (who also funds spec homes on occasion) told us that for new builds, rooms with wood burning fireplaces had to be in a room separated from the rest of the house with a fire-rated door. No such requirement for gas-burning fireplaces. We were only considering stand-alone homes.

We were not designing our own house, but from what I recall, the only floorplans I saw from various builders for a wood-burning fireplace option was those with a four season addition that incorporated one or two entries into the room through fire-rated doors. For those few designs we saw, it seems like the wood-burning fireplace in the four season room was always on the wall furthest from the rest of the house.

I don't recall if the wall(s) separating the room with the wood-burning fireplace also needed anything special.

It *might* be in the Minnesota Building Code, which is revised for 2015:

http://www.dli.mn.gov/ccld/codes15.asp

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 12-29-2014 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul