Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I run the kitchen of a restaurant/bar that has a huge patio. I need to hire 12 cooks within the next month. So far I am receiving about 2 applications a week despite aggressive attempts to recruit. There are basically no unemployed cooks right now while tons of places are hiring. I have to hire everyone who applies whether they are qualified or not. The labor shortage in our sector of the local economy is terrifying, and is very reminiscent of the beginning of the 90s boom.
Just curious how much a restaurant employee might make a month, mainly a server. We are moving up there in the next 6-12 months. If my husband can't line up a job beforehand or within a few weeks of arriving, do you think waiting tables will get us by for a couple months? We currently survive on about $2200 a month in the Phoenix area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
If you have good experience and get in at a busy place you can usually walk with $100 to $250 per dinner (or Sunday brunch) shift, less for lunch. I'm not sure what that works out to per month, it really depends on where you are at and whether you are getting the prime shifts.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 AM

44 posts, read 63,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
No, there is not a lot of construction going on.
But maybe you could get in on the vikings stadium
You need to do a little more research before making a comment like that.

Construction is Nuts In the Twin cities. Company I work for been trying to hire 50 new carpenters.
None to be had,

Even the Carpenters Union is having a hiring Fair on April 8th. That has never been seen before.
Pretty much all the trades are hurting for help.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
The positive thing about the labor shortage is that the last time we had one in the '90s, the pay scale for blue collar and entry level type work nearly doubled in five years. If that happens again, those new $1500 a month luxury apartments will be affordable to nearly everybody and the building boom that is coming will make the one we now have seem tiny.

Since wages are a product of supply and demand, it is labor shortages that drive wage growth. Given that wage growth and labor productivity decoupled in the early '80s with productivity rising much faster than pay, there is probably a lot of room to increase wages before it has a negative effect on economic growth.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-15-2015 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul