Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times

Advertisements

Either move here or don't.

I'm sorry to sound brusque or unhelpful, but you really need to either commit to the move or drop the idea entirely. To do otherwise is just an exercise in making yourself miserable. You owe it to yourself to either opt in or opt out. You can probably find some bottom-of-the-barrel share house in your price range, but it will be a ratty unit in a crummy area. Why would you do that to yourself?

If you decide to take the job, give yourself at least 6 months to acclimate. Get yourself a beautiful loft in the warehouse district overlooking the Mississippi. (No shortage of successful 20/30-somethings there!) Get out and meet people. Treat yourself to top restaurants, nightlife venues, theatrical performances...whatever floats your boat. Minneapolis isn't Chicago, but that's just fine. Both cities have their plusses and minuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,966 times
to me its all about what you want. if you want the money. then move here to minneapolis and make the best of it. i moved from philly and yes minneapolis has its good points. but has the bad too. Just to warn you, its only lively on a friday or sat night. Any other time, downtown is boring. i remember first coming here and i was excited about nicollet mall. Caught the trolley. As soon as i got off, i was ready to come back home. THIS IS NOT A REAL MALL. i wouldnt go to chicago on weekends because thats when minneapolis is at its best(sorry fri and sat nights only). What did you usually do in chicago on weekends? eventually you are gonna get tired of the drive. and its longer than 6 hours. do you really think you are gonna drive that fast every time? i would limit it to maybe 1- 2 times a month and just fly

Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
you can get a new girlfriend

Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 94,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarex View Post
Just received a job offer in the middle of Minneapolis that I can't refuse (the pay is too good, excess of 6 figures). It's a technology company located in the heart of downtown.

I love Chicago and don't want to completely leave it. So I was thinking I could drive back to Chicago on Fridays and return to Minneapolis on Sunday in the AM hours. It's only a 6hour drive, probably less if you're driving fast. I don't mind sacrificing my sleep.

I need the following:

- under $400/month with roommate
- free parking
- within 15-30 minutes driving distance
- not country or hillbilly-ish
- (plus++) people in their 20s

So what do you all think? Is my plan do-able? What are some good areas for my needs?

Thanks, highly appreciated!
Um....East St. Paul off of Dale St and Minnehaha are definitely in your price range. There are a few punkhouses that will take you in for $400/mo.

Parking isn't free...anywhere. Should have negotiated that in with your benefits package. If you're working for Outsell, then they might reimburse your parking expenses. They did for me when I worked for them. Public transpo downtown Minneapolis is pretty bomber. So, consider using that when moving downtown.

Live Downtown in either Northeast or off of University Ave. You could probably make $400/mo on that with a roomie. You could also live in North Minneapolis...just bring your shotgun.

This is Minneapolis bro. No hillbilly's for at least 40 miles.

You'll find people in their early 20's off of University Ave and in Uptown off of Lake Street.

I wish you the best of luck bro. Don't waste your money going back to Chicago every weekend. Just fly your GF or significant other to see you in MN. Live in MN and absorb the experience. You'll know if you'll want to stay or go after 3 to 5 years.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
You can usually get a Spirit ticket from MSP to ORD for $40-50 one way if you don't fly with any luggage. Best bet is to leave some things with your significant other in Chicago and then just use those when you fly there.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
That's one of the craziest plans I've heard on this forum. And while Minneapolis is no NYC, it's not THAT different than Chicago. It's still a city, and one with lots of new restaurants for you to explore. And if making 100k+, splurge on a decent apartment; there are some $800 2-BRs out there, but if you go up a bit you'll have a lot more options. Fly to Chicago once a month. Or if you can't imagine leaving, just stay there. In your situation I just can't imagine that it would be worth it to do a weekly commute by car. You'll be tired, wasting a lot of money, and won't be able to really appreciate living in EITHER city. Seriously, it's just not worth it. And while I completely respect anyone's right not to like a city, it doesn't sound like you've done even the tiniest bit of research into Minneapolis, and wouldn't make any decisions until you've had a chance to see it for yourself. If you have to, hop on a plane tomorrow morning, come up for the day or overnight, and see what you think. If you can't imagine living here, even for just a few years, then just stay where you are -- it won't be worth it.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Yeah and the heart of Chicago to downtown Minneapolis is more like 7 hours.
True, but I've done it in 6 to 6.5 with no traffic. This idea is nuts though, at least, for any kind of long-term lifestyle. I can see the commuting being worth it in the short-run if you're going back and forth for a wife/kids, for example, but not every week (presumably to party). Chicago is great, it's definitely an IT city and incredibly fun if you have the means and/or know the right people. There are definitely some amenities there that you can't find here as easily, including places just like Spearmint Rhino, and the scope of opportunities feels endless in comparison. BUT, as somebody very familiar with both places, the lifestyle is much more similar than it is different, for the most part.

Good luck with your decision, and new job (I'm jealous)!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That's one of the craziest plans I've heard on this forum. And while Minneapolis is no NYC, it's not THAT different than Chicago. It's still a city, and one with lots of new restaurants for you to explore. And if making 100k+, splurge on a decent apartment; there are some $800 2-BRs out there, but if you go up a bit you'll have a lot more options. Fly to Chicago once a month. Or if you can't imagine leaving, just stay there. In your situation I just can't imagine that it would be worth it to do a weekly commute by car. You'll be tired, wasting a lot of money, and won't be able to really appreciate living in EITHER city. Seriously, it's just not worth it. And while I completely respect anyone's right not to like a city, it doesn't sound like you've done even the tiniest bit of research into Minneapolis, and wouldn't make any decisions until you've had a chance to see it for yourself. If you have to, hop on a plane tomorrow morning, come up for the day or overnight, and see what you think. If you can't imagine living here, even for just a few years, then just stay where you are -- it won't be worth it.
I figure he's been to MSP at least once or twice, if for no other reason than to meet his future employer.

Uptown, you have a great point about being tired and it not being worth it......To the OP, you may grow to resent your S.O. by "having to" travel back and forth every week. When I got my first job, my current wife and I were just dating and not yet serious enough to get engaged, and I moved to MSP without knowing what would happen to our relationship. That put our relationship through the gauntlet and really tested both of us, and luckily it worked out that we got married and now have children. So.....I guess I'm saying is things will likely work out alright for you no matter what you decide, but I'd recommend stepping into it -- whatever you do -- with both feet.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 04-09-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 PM

23 posts, read 53,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you are pulling down a six figure income, you should be able to swing a During the week apartment without a roommate, and a Chicago area place.

I would guess after a few weeks you will not be going down every weekend. The drive will just tire you out.

Your Monday morning productive will be bad. If you are able to get back in time to go to work.
While I can afford having two places and be completely fine, I would rather save the money towards future investments. Having a roommate always cut costs by half so why not?

I will probably get tired of driving so much after a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftside View Post
You might be able to find a place to live for $400 a month if you check craigslist. I imagine it would be a room in someones house though.

I wouldn't be worried about missing out on the big city experience, the metro area around here is large enough with enough variety of restaurants that it would take years to try them all (assuming going to one per day). How Many Restaurants and Bars Are There in Minneapolis-St. Paul? | Shiftgig
Hmm. Well my idea was to be roommates with a young professional. I can go up to $600 split which would be able to afford a $1200 place... usually apartments that go for $1200 tend to be average to good, which is fine with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
$400 is absolutely doable but you're needlessly confining yourself. With 6 figures you can have basically whatever you want. Even if you do go to Chicago every weekend, you're going to be spending most of your time here. Don't lock yourself into a cheap lease that you don't love just because you are currently happy living in Chicago, it's just not rational.

Don't drive 12 hours every weekend, it's not worth it. Take the train every couple weeks, or fly. MSP-MDW is usually even cheaper than MSP-ORD. Southwest has a direct flight.

Or, better yet, make an effort to get to know Minneapolis. If the thing you're worried about is losing big city life with lots of restaurants... I mean, it's not as big as Chicago, but this is still a big city. I don't think you'll be bored. Actually I think you'll be very very impressed, I think it's going to vastly exceed your expectations. You aren't moving to Indianapolis...
On a average month with 21 work days I will be making $7566 after taxes. So here are my current expenses. Keep in mind my objective is to save as much money as possible so I can venture into future investments.

----Chicago expenses monthly----
Rent: $500 split, roommate
Average bills total: $130
Groceries: $300
Going out: too much, best to not reveal

So essentially if I live in Minneapolis I would only be paying $630 for my Chicago location. It wouldn't be vacant -- my girlfriend and roommate (girl) live there.

$7566 - $630 = $6936

----Ideal Minneapolis expenses, monthly----
Rent: up to $600 split, roommate
Avg bills: ~$140 total
Personal groceries: ~$300
Going out: $500
Gas: $160
Misc: $200
Total: ~$1900

That leaves me with $5036. After my two car payments (Dodge Charger, Maserati GranTurismo) it becomes $4033. So I will be saving about 53% of my after-taxes income. Good stuff. Also keep in mind some months have 22, 23 work days (this adds a good chunk).

Thanks for the flight tip! I will have to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
$400 a month with a roommate will be possible but I assumed you wanted to share an apartment not rent a room. I'd also suggest that if you are going to work here, you lose the attitude. This is not a small town in the middle of no where and no one is going to take kindly to that attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Either move here or don't.

I'm sorry to sound brusque or unhelpful, but you really need to either commit to the move or drop the idea entirely. To do otherwise is just an exercise in making yourself miserable. You owe it to yourself to either opt in or opt out. You can probably find some bottom-of-the-barrel share house in your price range, but it will be a ratty unit in a crummy area. Why would you do that to yourself?

If you decide to take the job, give yourself at least 6 months to acclimate. Get yourself a beautiful loft in the warehouse district overlooking the Mississippi. (No shortage of successful 20/30-somethings there!) Get out and meet people. Treat yourself to top restaurants, nightlife venues, theatrical performances...whatever floats your boat. Minneapolis isn't Chicago, but that's just fine. Both cities have their plusses and minuses.
I have already committed and accepted the job offer. I'm just trying to figure out whats the best way to have the best of both cities . I broke down my income and expenses above. I think with a $600 rent split, I should be able to live in a relatively normal neighborhood within 15-30 minutes of downtown or downtown itself. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
to me its all about what you want. if you want the money. then move here to minneapolis and make the best of it. i moved from philly and yes minneapolis has its good points. but has the bad too. Just to warn you, its only lively on a friday or sat night. Any other time, downtown is boring. i remember first coming here and i was excited about nicollet mall. Caught the trolley. As soon as i got off, i was ready to come back home. THIS IS NOT A REAL MALL. i wouldnt go to chicago on weekends because thats when minneapolis is at its best(sorry fri and sat nights only). What did you usually do in chicago on weekends? eventually you are gonna get tired of the drive. and its longer than 6 hours. do you really think you are gonna drive that fast every time? i would limit it to maybe 1- 2 times a month and just fly
Chicago downtown is the same way (kinda). It becomes dead after 8pm except certain areas. Depending on how I'm feeling that particular week, I go to eat 3-4x. Some weeks I don't go out at all. I don't go to malls often. I don't particularly relate with the demographic and majority of the brands are of my taste.

I think the whole Chicago on the weekends idea is definitely doable if Spirit is only $40 one way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you can get a new girlfriend
This is true however I'm happy with mine.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 53,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Minnesota View Post
Um....East St. Paul off of Dale St and Minnehaha are definitely in your price range. There are a few punkhouses that will take you in for $400/mo.

Parking isn't free...anywhere. Should have negotiated that in with your benefits package. If you're working for Outsell, then they might reimburse your parking expenses. They did for me when I worked for them. Public transpo downtown Minneapolis is pretty bomber. So, consider using that when moving downtown.

Live Downtown in either Northeast or off of University Ave. You could probably make $400/mo on that with a roomie. You could also live in North Minneapolis...just bring your shotgun.

This is Minneapolis bro. No hillbilly's for at least 40 miles.

You'll find people in their early 20's off of University Ave and in Uptown off of Lake Street.

I wish you the best of luck bro. Don't waste your money going back to Chicago every weekend. Just fly your GF or significant other to see you in MN. Live in MN and absorb the experience. You'll know if you'll want to stay or go after 3 to 5 years.
What do you define as a "punkhouse"? A gangbanger drug stash, college frat house or what? Ideally I want to split rent with another young professional. I'm willing to pay $600, so we can afford an apt in the $1200/month range.

How is parking not free? Residential areas in Chicago have either zoned or non-zoned street parking. How does Minneapolis not have the same for its residential areas? My workplace has employee parking (I believe, not 100% sure) so I'm not too concerned about this.

Thanks! I will look in the University Ave area. Good to know.

Well, if the ticket is only $40-50 then I don't mind. I don't know. I will probably try it out for a couple of weeks then give up on it. No solid plans.

I will probably stay for 2 years and move on to bigger & better... career wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
You can usually get a Spirit ticket from MSP to ORD for $40-50 one way if you don't fly with any luggage. Best bet is to leave some things with your significant other in Chicago and then just use those when you fly there.
Thanks for the tip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I can pay $600 with a roommate so that gives a $1200 apt range. I'm assuming this should be sufficient.

The money is worth it... Not only will it provide me with experience and knowledge of new skills, it also pays nicely. Once I am able to master certain aspects of X programming languages, I will be even more marketable to companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
True, but I've done it in 6 to 6.5 with no traffic. This idea is nuts though, at least, for any kind of long-term lifestyle. I can see the commuting being worth it in the short-run if you're going back and forth for a wife/kids, for example, but not every week (presumably to party). Chicago is great, it's definitely an IT city and incredibly fun if you have the means and/or know the right people. There are definitely some amenities there that you can't find here as easily, including places just like Spearmint Rhino, and the scope of opportunities feels endless in comparison. BUT, as somebody very familiar with both places, the lifestyle is much more similar than it is different, for the most part.

Good luck with your decision, and new job (I'm jealous)!
Sounds good! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul