Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 13,347 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job offer in Minneapolis and we will be moving in the late fall from the Chicagoland area (suburbs to be exact). The job is located in Fridley and he would like to have a commute of 30 minutes or less. My job will be located right downtown, but I will be working from home mostly so I am not as concerned about my commute time. We know nothing about Minneapolis other than the small amount of online research and would really like some help in narrowing down some areas to search for a home in.

We have a toddler and another baby on the way. School quality is number 1 priority to us, preferably very high ranking schools. A 30 min or less commute time would be ideal, as well as a family oriented community that is safe for the kiddos. We're looking for suburbs as we know we can probably get the most for our money and would like a single family home. Budget for us would be up to $400K.

I've read a lot about the southwest suburbs being very nice but I think that commute would be a little long for my husband, so does anyone have suggestions for northwest suburbs? Also, are my expectations and list of wants realistic? We really have no clue about the area but are very excited for our next adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM

26 posts, read 33,887 times
I would look into Maple Grove, Plymouth, Arden Hills and Shoreview.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderx View Post
i would look into maple grove, plymouth, arden hills and shoreview.
+1 North Oaks too.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 181,034 times
Maple Grover and Plymouth sound like winners. Much of Plymouth is in the Wayzata district, which is really, really good. Wayzata would be nice as well, but a little harder to work with your budget there.... plus parts of Plymouth are very close. Wayzata has a downtown area, similar to Hinsdale or Highland Park (I used to live in chicago too).

If you are used to authentically old neighborhoods with more charm, then consider the SW Mpls or Linden Hills (Mpls) and give your husband an easy reverse commute. But you won't get nearly as much house for the money as you will in MG or Plymouth. All about priorities.

Linden Hills is more "city" living. Maple Grove would feel more like the Naperville area. Both very nice.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
No reason to go to the sw suburbs -- they don't offer anything you can't find in a more convenient location, other than a longer commute.

What kind of neighborhood or house do you want? You'll have some options . For example, do you like an older house with vintage character? Do you prefer something new? Do you like mid-century design? Do you want a neighborhood with sidewalks? Do you want to be able to walk anywhere?

A small suburb that would be very convenient for both of you and with great schools is St. Anthony, although again, depends on your preferences for neighborhood or house. (although beware if searching you will come across references for the st. anthony neighborhood of Minneapolis -- probably not what you're looking for -- and the st. anthony neighborhood of st. paul, which could be, if open to city schools and looking for older, established streetcar suburb-type location)

Old 07-22-2015, 09:22 PM

321 posts, read 861,679 times
All Minneapolis suburbs and most city neighborhoods are really nice by Chicago standards. The only two suburbs that have any sort of negative reputation are Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. By Chicago or national standards, they're still average to above average suburbs. Minnesota is a very nice place. I know a lot about the low-end neighborhoods around here but I know very little about the high-end neighborhoods. Sounds like you're looking fairly high-end. The northern parts of Brooklyn Park (above 85th) have some really nice neighborhoods and would be almost optimum commute for both of you - Fridley is right across the river, and 94 between downtown and 252 almost never jams up, very quick. Just make sure their schools don't feed into one of the high schools that the apartment complex kids from areas like Zane go to. I would take this area over anything west of Minneapolis because 394 can get really bad by MN standards and that part of 94 is remarkably fluid. Champlin is next up past Brooklyn Park and it is undoubtedly yet another very nice suburb. I've seen 94 jam up a fair amount approaching Maple Grove, so it would be a longer commute. I work in Fridley and the section of 694 between University and River Rd. always jams up; depending on the nature of the jam it may be fastest to get on at a different exit each day, but regardless it never really adds more than ten minutes to the commute at worst.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
Maple Grover and Plymouth sound like winners. Much of Plymouth is in the Wayzata district, which is really, really good. Wayzata would be nice as well, but a little harder to work with your budget there.... plus parts of Plymouth are very close. Wayzata has a downtown area, similar to Hinsdale or Highland Park (I used to live in chicago too).

If you are used to authentically old neighborhoods with more charm, then consider the SW Mpls or Linden Hills (Mpls) and give your husband an easy reverse commute. But you won't get nearly as much house for the money as you will in MG or Plymouth. All about priorities.

Linden Hills is more "city" living. Maple Grove would feel more like the Naperville area. Both very nice.
Thank you for the Chicago suburb comparisons! Definitely paints a clearer picture!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:12 AM

Thank you for the Chicago suburbs comparison. It definitely creates a clearer picture!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:19 AM

As far as type of house we would prefer newer, but it really depends on the house. As long as a home has the criteria were looking for, has minimal updates needed and has been well cared for we're not particular as to when it was built.

We love the idea of a suburb with a downtown area and being able to take walks either there or along nature paths, but it's not a deal breaker. We also like the idea of having other kids around to play with ours as well as adults we can become friends with. I'm in my early 30s. My husband is a little older but acts like he's 25.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM

442 posts, read 594,097 times
I'll second the recommendations on Plymouth and Maple Grove. I grew up in North Oaks, and while it's in an excellent school system and would be an easy commute to Fridley (Medtronic, I assume?), for $400,000 your choices will be outdated homes. Same goes for Shoreview, although you will find nice, well-maintained older homes for $400k.

Blaine has two very nice developments with new homes — Club West and The Lakes — and my wife commutes from here downtown every day with no problem. The only shortcoming of Blaine is that Anoka-Hennepin district schools are not rated as highly as Mounds View and Wayzata. They are still very good, though.

You will love Minneapolis. My wife and I spent 6 years in the greater Chicago area before coming back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul