Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,301 times

Advertisements

After a long exploratory phase, my husband and I identified Victory as the neighborhood we would most like to buy a home in, based both on type of houses available (we're suckers for old houses with character) and price point. Unfortunately, we keep getting outbid in stressful multiple offer situations! I think we've seen every house in Victory that's currently available!

Our realtor has suggested we might want to look into Camden Webber since it has similar houses and price point, along with still being in the attendance area for Loring Elementary, which is where we'd like to enroll our kids. My only question is if the neighborhood is safe enough for a family with young children? We've spent lots of time in Victory and feel very comfortable there, so if it has a similar feel, we'd be thrilled. Any areas we should target? So far we've found three houses all in the northwest corner of Webber Camden that we really like.

We're also looking into Robbinsdale and Crystal, though those houses lack a lot of the character we're looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
My wife and I actually just bought a place in Weber Camden. We plan on eventually starting our family there. We loved the character of the neighborhoods and old homes. The family we purchased the house from (with three kids) said they have had no issues and had the kids playing in the yard all the time. All the neighbors are kind as well. Hopefully that helps a little.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,301 times
Thank you! Yes it does!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
The name of the neighborhood was changed a few years ago from just Camden because of the negatives associated with the the Camden name. Parts of it are better than others. Choose wisely.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:01 PM

114 posts, read 136,808 times
I have relatives in Webber-Camden a few blocks west of 94. They have really nice 1920's bungalow with beautiful woodwork, built-in cabinets and original hardwood floors. The exterior has nice stucco and brickwork. I don't know much about about crime in the area, but have been told that north of Dowling is somewhat better than south. You can check the police department's crime map online. There are some boarded up houses in the area, but there are nice houses too.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Webber Camden is more block to block than Victory, but there are solid, stable blocks. If it were me I would target areas close to or on the parkway, the areas adjacent to Victory have seemed pretty solid as well. I know a few people in WC that have complained of higher-than-average nuisance issues on blocks where I'm surprised to hear that, but it's been 9 or 10 years since I lived in WC (pre-recession) so I can't say I'm the most familiar with the current state of affairs. Webber pool (and park) is awesome and the new library and eventual grocery store planned for Humboldt between 44th and parkway will be huge amenities for the neighborhood.

Victory's market is pretty hot right now so am not surprised to hear about your experience, but if you're really into it and you stay with it, it will undoubtedly cool down quite a bit over the next month or two (surprised it's still as hot as it is for late September, but historically things become dead in late Fall/ winter and you as a buyer will have a lot more leverage). I know of a few foreclosures (one next door to us, actually) that will be coming on the market, as well as a few friends' houses- I'd be happy to forward you heads up on any 'insider' info I might be aware of via DM if of interest to you, just let me know what kind of house you are looking for. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul