Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 12,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here from San Francisco 1.5 years ago. He has had a hell of a time getting a job in the Twin Cities and we're starting to worry. He used to be a Project Manager for a winery/restaurant with experience in Social Media, writing/editing, and Marketing.

Recruiters in CA thought his resume was great, but it barely gets hits and he rarely gets an interview here in Minnesota. When he does get an interview, he doesn't seem to impress the interviewer enough to get the job. This has never happened to him in California. In fact, he's always interviewed well and impressed managers. We aren't sure what he's doing wrong here. We've muted his resume down in hopes of getting even an admin job, but he's had no luck in that either.

We're expecting our first child this winter and our savings are almost gone. We're at a loss for what he needs to do differently to impress the Twin Cities workforce.

If there are any non-Minnesotans reading this who landed the jobs they wanted, what did you have to do differently to get noticed?

Is it a difference of culture/personality? In CA, being forthright and aggressive often lands you a good job, but maybe that approach is too aggressive here. What's the secret?

Please, constructive criticism only. We really do want to figure it out and make a life here if we can, but our luck is running out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM

442 posts, read 593,852 times
What kinds of places is he applying to? I would think with all the new craft breweries opening around here, his experience would be valuable.

Also, there are several PR agencies in Minneapolis with food and wine clients (my wife works at one of them), and his experience in social media and writing/editing might be useful to them (though if he hasn't been in the PR world before, he'd likely have to start at the bottom).

I don't think the interviewing process here would be much different than anywhere else, though to be fair, I haven't actually interviewed for a job in Minnesota since 2006, and the other states I've lived in were all transfers with my old company, so I haven't actually interviewed for a job anywhere else. I'm just making a guess.

If you want to DM me with more specific info on his resume, I might be able to come up with some more specific ideas.

Best of luck.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
I'm not sure what being "forthright and aggressive" in an interview situation means but it doesn't sound like a winner to me. Having worked in MN and CA, the communication style here is more deferential and indirect than on either coast.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM

280 posts, read 473,286 times
I suppose it depends on what a manager wants. I get most of my jobs because I am assertive, I would not say aggressive ever though. I do push the limits as I would expect people to do. I am still human.

MN has a fairly low unemployment rate. He should talk to some recruiters in town and attend local events where headhunters/recruiters would be. Try meetups.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM

171 posts, read 195,614 times
what kind of font do you use for your resume and cover letter ?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I've interviewed in, hired in, and worked in both states, and I didn't experience any difference between interview style in CA versus MN. Keep in mind also that many of the people doing the interviewing may not be from here originally, either, so don't waste too much energy trying to figure out cultural differences.

At work, Minnesotans are generally more apt to avoid direct conflict...although presumably conflict is not an issue in an interview setting!

Could it be that in California the recruiters were just more aware of his credentials, whether it's personal familiarity with the companies he had worked for, or his school, etc.? Or that the demand for that specific type of job was just stronger in SF at the time than it is here?

Instead of focusing on a "Minnesota" style interview, I'd focus on networking and seeing what you can do through connections. So many jobs are found that way. Did he go to school in California? Maybe check out the local alumni group. Or ask neighbors or friends (or classmates in pre-baby classes, even) for leads. Even throw it out to Facebook... everyone is so dispersed these days that it could be that your college roommate, who now lives in Berlin, has a cousin in Texas whose best friend is the VP at a Minneapolis company and is willing to read a resume. I've seen those kind of crazy round-about connections work for people I know. Some kind of connection will help him to overcome the fact that he's probably competing against people who have worked locally for a longer time and have personal contacts and networks built up.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 PM

114 posts, read 136,833 times
Is it possible he is asking for too much money? The cost of living is much lower in Minnesota than San Francisco.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
Definitely different communication styles. Here you need to have a laid back, nice, humble type of attitude. Also I'd say informal to extent. If he can somehow compliment or relate on something with the interviewer it's almost a slam dunk. Minnesotans like that.

Even how he dresses could be different. Perhaps he's dressing up too much. Minneapolis can be very cliquey in that a lot of people know each other... it can be hard and couple that with a heavily aging workforce in the twin cities which is the largest portion of the population- it leaves little squish room.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:32 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
It seems to me that your husband's resume is more catered to jobs that you'd find in Northern CA, like wineries and tech companies. I could be wrong but I just don't see how his skillset and job experience would fit into the economy here. What types of jobs is he interviewing for just out of curiosity? Also, why not look for a telecommuter job with a company outside of MN that is more alligned with his abilities?

Update - Upon a quick glance on a popular career search website I found a large number of project manager positions open for a variety of companies in the Twin cities area. It could just be bad luck. I'd say keep trying and he'll find something.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Perhaps reach out to a career counselor and see if he can do a test interview with them and get some feedback. Also, when he interviews and does not get hired, call and ask. Sometimes you won't get an answer but sometimes you might. If there's a way he can schedule a practice interview with someone who does the hiring that may be helpful as well. Another option is to search through a recruiter. They want to get him working so they make money so they can provide insight.

It's hard to give you any real feedback because there's so many things that could do it. Once the HR person brought someone back to my group and he dropped an F bomb. I said no because of that. I feel that's inappropriate for an interview. We are different here. It's not direct that's a problem but if it's aggressive rather an assertive that may be.

Regarding the resume and cover letter the first thing I'd do is proofread it. If he's saying he can edit a typo or misspelling would immediately eliminate him. It seem simple but it's easy to overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul