Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 AM

183 posts, read 159,386 times

Advertisements

A list compiled from other lists decides what we've always known: Minneapolis-St. Paul is the best place to live in the country.

It's official: Twin Cities best place to live in nation, says list of lists - StarTribune.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM

41 posts, read 60,466 times
If you ever forget how great it is here, there will soon be another list to remind you.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,082,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Blyleven View Post
If you ever forget how great it is here, there will soon be another list to remind you.
Hi Burt! welcome to our forum, but don't be flicking any of your boogers around here or light any fires

Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,203,511 times
My visit to Minnesota in October, 2005 convinced me that if I ever move out of California, Minnesota will be my first choice. A location in the Twin Cities or reasonably near the TC (75 miles or less) are my preferred choices. The additional online lists since then reinforce that view. Congrats Minnesota!!

Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,203,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Hi Burt! welcome to our forum, but don't be flicking any of your boogers around here or light any fires
Do thank him for helping the Twins win that 1987 World Series though. LOL.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:06 PM

810 posts, read 852,793 times
the list is a crock of crap. Yes Minneapolis is great and from what I read is nice because of good economy and lower cost of living. But those other cities? Nobody in their right mind would want to live in NYC or SF cost of living is out of control. Half the house at 5 times the price.

Both are way too overcrowded. SF is a great place to visit and I love it. But even if hubby made 1 million a year I would never live there. Same with NYC and even my favorite city of all Boston. Too many people and housing is so overpriced it is ridiculous.

Nothing beats the beauty of the Twin Cities, all the lakes and 4 seasons.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,720,528 times
Minneapolis is a great place to live and I hope to move there soon, but you really cannot compare it to the diversity of NYC or LA. That being said, the cost of living is way too high and there are too many people.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 AM

810 posts, read 852,793 times
Good point lepoisson . Both are way too big and too noisy.

I would consider living in LA as it has beaches but NYC could not pay me enough money to live there.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 AM

878 posts, read 1,209,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
the list is a crock of crap. Yes Minneapolis is great and from what I read is nice because of good economy and lower cost of living. But those other cities? Nobody in their right mind would want to live in NYC or SF cost of living is out of control. Half the house at 5 times the price.

Both are way too overcrowded. SF is a great place to visit and I love it. But even if hubby made 1 million a year I would never live there. Same with NYC and even my favorite city of all Boston. Too many people and housing is so overpriced it is ridiculous.

Nothing beats the beauty of the Twin Cities, all the lakes and 4 seasons.
It all depends on your lifestyle. As a single person, living in NYC was the best thing I ever did-- yes, COL (cost of living) is high-- but so are incomes (plus you don't need a car-- nor car insurance, tires, oil changes, etc), you live in less square footage, to be sure, but the trade-off, for many, is well worth it. Could I live there now with a husband, three kids and two dogs? NOPE. But if I was an empty nester or still single (or married and childless)? YEP! Our plan, for a long time, was to move back to NYC as soon as our last kiddo was out of the house-- now I think we're more likely to move into Minneapolis (to somewhere like the North Loop), rather than NYC, due to my husband's business.

Same with San Fran.. high COL but high incomes-- and, much like NYC, there's an 'electricity' that only NYC and SF truly have, that's not replicated anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* living here, but it's not the only place that I could live and be happy-- but, for us, it is definitely the best option with great schools, relatively low COL and high QOL (quality of life)-- plus as we're a hockey family (2 kids play, hubs is a full time hockey coach)-- living in NYC or SF would make zero sense for us (we really could only consider MN, MI, MA and major cities in Canada, to be honest)

Once you have a family, I agree, that a place like MSP makes a ton of sense-- as your priorities shift-- education for the kids, getting a bigger/better/more spacious house, minimizing commute, etc, all come into play. But living in NYC and SF, while not everyone's cup of tea, has great appeal to many (obviously) on many levels-- and I know of plenty of friends, even those with families, that live there and couldn't imagine living anywhere else-- not everyone wants the same thing-- and that's a GOOD thing!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,914,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
A list compiled from other lists decides what we've always known: Minneapolis-St. Paul is the best place to live in the country.
I don't know that I'd say it's the best place to live. More realistically I'd say it's the best place to live for what you get for your money. The best value city. The best city doing the most things well. If that's what we're talking about then, yeah, it is.

Was Montreal eligible for this list? If so I'd give it the nod for #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul